Carol Thatcher and the G word.

Gastines

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]

How can anyone comment unless they are black themselves? How does a white person know if it's offensive (or not) to black people? If anyone called me a gollywog, I would not like it! A black forum users view would be of more interest. Are there any derogatory names for whites? I don't know any meself[:(]

[/quote]

Wigger - a wannabe ni_gger - i.e. the likes of Eminem..  As an aside my afro caribbean frinds refer to each other as ni_ggers.  It's not the word but the intent behind it.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="tegwini"]

"Why is is that white dolls are always made in the image of beautiful humans and black dolls are always hideous characatures???? "

Not so Cythia.  Lots of pretty black dolls - always have been. The golly was never really a 'doll'.

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

One of my more memorable presents when I was aged just 4 was a beautiful black baby doll.  Loved to bits.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="David"]

I also wonder how much of this is because of what I perceive as a strong BBC anti Margaret Thatcher bias.

David

[/quote]
If this were the case would they have been employing her daughter in the first place?
[/quote]

Have you read the Guardian web site today Norman?

David

"Absoflippinglutely RH, what a slimy horny hypocritical toad he is,  -adrian-chiles-chemistry-with-christine-bleakley.
surely everybody must know poor old Carol is harmless by comparison, when will all this inconsequential PC nonsense rebound. Wasn't the comment about someones hair compared with a doll? Hopefully the old saying 'what goes around comes around and he'll get his.'
never did like the 'dumb' one show anyway, neither is Jo Brand funny anymore "   Just John.

I'll second that-   Jo Brand is crude - and sexist,  too many off-colour 'jokes' that many would see as non-PC.

Tegwini

[quote user="David"][quote user="NormanH"][quote user="David"]

I also wonder how much of this is because of what I perceive as a strong BBC anti Margaret Thatcher bias.

David

[/quote]

If this were the case would they have been employing her daughter in the first place?

[/quote]

Have you read the Guardian web site today Norman?

David

[/quote]

Yes..and the comments on the story.

"it was used in the playground, to the only child at that school who was English. By using this phrase it drew attention to her as being 'different'. "  Puzzled.

But, as the ONLY English girl in the school she IS different!

Reminds me of the 'Life if Brian' ...

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

"Why is is that white dolls are always made in the image of beautiful humans and black dolls are always hideous characatures???? "

Not so Cythia.  Lots of pretty black dolls - always have been. The golly was never really a 'doll'.

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

I never saw any black dolls when I was growing up (xcept the golliwog) Regardless of it being a doll or not, are you saying it's a true representation of a black person? Well if that's the case, why would they be offended then! God, they are so sensitive aren't they. (I'm not Cynthia)

Do you think the BBC would let Douglas Bader and his dog into the BBC studios today?

Remember that this is the BBC that has the ginger bread Madonna and Child displayed on its wall.

Baby Jesus's winky had to be shortened and it was all carved by a paedophile, who indulged in bestiality and incest. He also had sex with men but that's OK.

You have to like the BBCs hypocrisy.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopics/j006htGill_Morality2_Odou.htm

[quote user="tegwini"]

"it was used in the playground, to the only child at that school who was English. By using this phrase it drew attention to her as being 'different'. "  Puzzled.

But, as the ONLY English girl in the school she IS different!

Reminds me of the 'Life if Brian' ...

Tegwini

[/quote]

When I was 12 (15 years ago) we lived in England for a year and I attended the local Catholic school where they were all white English. I was called "paki paddy" for the whole miserable year (even by the teachers) I was the darkest person in the school and had a broad Irish accent, did that make it ok?

"You have chosen to emphasise words ( and re arrange them), I was just trying to point out how the use of words can hurt people". Puzzled.

"it was used in the playground, to the only child at that school who was English. By using this phrase it drew attention to her  as being 'different'. "   MY QUOTE

it was used in the playground, to the only child at that school who was English. By using this phrase it drew attention to her as being 'different'. YOUR POST

Check again Puzzled - cut & pasted hence verbatim.  I would NEVER mis-quote/re-arrange someone's words!  I consider myself too professional for that !  Sadly children can be cruel, and some French kids and their parents resent the English 'invasion'. Fact.

Tegwini

I'm sure the majority of reasoned people are not racist in any, and even when remarks like this are interpreted rightly or wrongly as racist, there is still the possibility that injured parties can rise above them, difficult though it may be, and of course it takes two; I'm reminded of the following quotation,.[8-|]

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults;
if you succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters

[quote user="just john "]

I'm sure the majority of reasoned people are not racist in any, and even when remarks like this are interpreted rightly or wrongly as racist, there is still the possibility that injured parties can rise above them[/quote]

Like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter! My experiences of racism (colour and Irishness) have not clouded my judgement of the English (shower of vile bastards that they are)[:D]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"][quote user="teapot"][quote user="Dog"]

Do you think the BBC would let Douglas Bader and his dog into the BBC studios today?

[/quote]

I thought that was because they came from the Niger delta [8-)]

[/quote]

If you mean the dog was called n****r, it wasn't Douglas Bader, it was Guy Gibson.

[/quote]

Popular name then - Bader & Gibson both chose the name.

"Regardless of it being a doll or not, are you saying it's a true representation of a black person? Well if that's the case, why would they be offended then!"   Cynthia.

No idea Cynthia, the original Golly was based on a circus character.  I can think of many  'white' dolls - eg cabbage patch dolls- do they represent white people.? Barbie, Bratz ...  Kids love/loved them, likewise with the gollies.

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

"Regardless of it being a doll or not, are you saying it's a true representation of a black person? Well if that's the case, why would they be offended then!"   Cynthia.

No idea Cynthia, the original Golly was based on a circus character.  I can think of many  'white' dolls - eg cabbage patch dolls- do they represent white people.? Barbie, Bratz ...  Kids love/loved them, likewise with the gollies.

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

Reginald, Cabbage patch kids are cute, Bratz and Barbie are made to look like models and pop stars which youngsters asspire to looking like. How many kids want to look like a golliwog?