Carol Thatcher and the G word.

Gastines

[quote user="tegwini"]

.....  No doubt the BBC has such a dept. for the likes of Adrian Chiles to tell tales to.  More cost to the licence payer, and to what benefit ?

Very little benefit.

Tegwini

[/quote]

Where is it claimed that Adrian Chiles made the complaint?  The media only say, as far as I can find:

"She was having a conversation with the presenter of the show, Adrian Chiles, which was overheard by several other members of the production team on the show".

Not that any of the presenters complained.  Although in the Greenroom, the BBC decided that the "offence" took place in a "workplace" and contravened their internal policies on such matters.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, not any more. Anyway, having looked at the fotos, Mr Tsonga did not the least like a golly but the other two, one white and one black did. And I dont mean anything racial me hearties, but their hair was standing out on end. So, a white golly, great. Now, my Benny also looks like that after a swim so we now have a golly doggy. Anyone want to make some money by marketing doggy golly. By the way, Benny is black and white. So lets stop all this nonsense.

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]

Like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter! My experiences of racism (colour and Irishness)

[/quote]Oh, Furry, I never realised that you are my fantasy man![:D]  My mother is the most raging racist you could meet and totally unapologetic about it.  I always longed to meet a black guy with an Irish accent, just so that I could see her face when I brought him home.[:P]  A not altogether noble sentiment, I know.

Please don't deviate too much off topic or the Forum Revival might get deleted.I particularly liked the Irish reply which only goes to prove that "Nickmames" are part of any normal dialect., just make sure the intent is not malicious.By the way ,did I mention I am of Welsh origin?

Regards.

I don't visit here often but I have read this thread with interest. I note that a couple of posters have experienced personal racial verbal abuse here in France and in England. I sympathise with them, I know it is not a pleasant experience to be constantly reminded that you are different. I have spent time in places where I and my colleague were the only white Europeans in the place, moreover we were the first whites that some people had seen apart from on TV.

To be addressed as 'hello white person what do you want here' or  'the white foreigners' or 'ghosts' and having children throwing stones at you and being reminded regularly  that 'your people did this to my grandparents etc' can be quite threatening and intimidating.

The point that I am making is that racism comes in many levels of severity, amongst which, in my opinion, the off hand reference to a third party having hair like a gollywog, does not rate very highly.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Furry Knickers"]

Like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter! My experiences of racism (colour and Irishness)

[/quote]Oh, Furry, I never realised that you are my fantasy man![:D]  My mother is the most raging racist you could meet and totally unapologetic about it.  I always longed to meet a black guy with an Irish accent, just so that I could see her face when I brought him home.[:P]  A not altogether noble sentiment, I know.
[/quote]

I don't mind anyone fantasizing about me[:D] I may not be black enough though! I'm half Indian (bottom half) and half Irish. Me own aunty was a terrible racist too (they never saw black people before) She would let on to anyone that saw me in her house, that me daddy was a Spanish kong kiss the door that was looking for bulls to bring back home. I don't know if I could cope with all the swearing though! What sort of things would you be saying now? I can cope with the odd fok (I love how posh folk say the f word) but not the C word.

As a Scot living in Portsmouth  I have on various occassions been referred to as a 'Sweaty' (Sweaty sock = Jock)  PJ (Poxy Jock) and of course a Jock.......all terms I think could be regarded as racially offensive but equally as a Scot living in the South of England and working in construction , what did I really expect?

Does it bother me? not a bit..if it did I would have voted with my fists......Fact of the matter is we arent giving the goalposts back.....get over it!

If Ms Thatchers intention was to malign the person discussed and in some way disadvantage them then her employers may be entitled to consider whether this sits well with their racism policy ..If it happens in working hours or in the workplace.

If it was a stupid throwaway remark and the person concerned is not offended then a reprimand and warning would IMHO have been the more appropriate.

Here's one example of what black people make of it:

http://www.bnvillage.co.uk/news-politics-village/101877-racist-thatcher-family-again.html

Not much said really, and shows black people can be racist too.

I belong to that forum, as I'm interested in their attitude to racism, belonging to a minority group myself. But I've never posted as it's pretty exclusively black.

I think they have a harder time of it than the Jews.

On another tack - Oh for a return to the days of Alf Garnett in Till Death do us Part. He ridiculed racism and put it in perspective.

Pat.

Apparently although used in the Green Room at the BBC, it was in a private conversation and she has appologised, but the BBC is firing here because she is not giving an unreserved appology - so sayeth the Producer on TV this morning. I agree with woolybanana, does this mean that everyone can listen in to our private conversations and report us when they deem we say something offensive. I remember a few years ago that presenter from One Man and His Dog, Robin something talking at a private meeting and it costing the tax-payer huge amounts because he was reported to the police for saying something offensive - the case was dropped by the PPO as it was a private consersation/meeting.

So again, JR was let off for what he said, which to me as a woman and mother is hugely offensive. If anyone had said that on air about my daughter I would have gone to the BBC and clocked him - hang the response from the police. That was my daughter!!

You might also like to know that in my knitting shop, knitting patterns are still available for those little dolls! Although a local shop had a police raid for having them in the window - however our local main post office has several in their window but no police raid there.

Of course racism exists in every race! We are specificaly asking if it is appropriate  to refer to a person as a golliwog. Why would any intelligent person even think about calling anyone a golliwog? Will the world ever be rid of discrimination in all it's forms? I doubt it. If it makes Tegwini happy (and others of her tv licence paying ilk) to refer to other human beings by innapropriate names, then why spoil their fun. You can't teach a sow to peel an orange.

Hi Furry/Cynthia

"If it makes Tegwini happy (and others of her tv licence paying ilk) to refer to other human beings by innapropriate names, then why spoil their fun. You can't teach a sow to peel an orange"   QUOTE FK

Re-read my posts - and of others who agree with me , I spoke ONLY about the soft toy, and gave some history and info.  

Show me where I wrote and used 'inappropriate names'. Clearly for some people comments by others are not allowed, and they can be rude too.   News to me that sows cannot peel oranges -  sounds inappropriate  directed at me  !   On this thread somewhat hypocritical ? 

Tegwini

Sorry Tegwini I did misread what you had written yesterday.  quote Kizzy

No problem Kizzy

Kids can be cruel, I have taught teens for decades, now semi-retired so I have seen nearly everything.

Your daughter will improve her French and start to help you I assume.  Children do pick on the odd child, it's a difficult thing to cope with, but from experience (my daughter was bullied at that age) it might help to try to ignore them, unless they become worse.  Inviting some around for 'tea' might help to isolate the little b****** !  Hopefully the bullying then might become 'history'

Getting back to this thread I see that the BBC might have to say sorry to Carol T.   

I have no strong feelings about CT (her lisp annoys), but object to stuff actually BROADCAST that is offensive, and it's not easy to find programmes after 9pm with the odd f word or violence.  I am not fond of the BBC and its wastefulness, and especially after the J Woss affair,   since unlike many on this thread  I pay the licence fee.

Regards

Tegwini