Please, petrolheads, tell me ...

Frenchie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Wow, is this a pic of your Micra after the accident ?? [blink]

[/quote]Yup.  Technology works, it really does.  If I'd smacked up a car only a little less modern I'd probably be dead by now. 

To be fair, they did cut the roof off so she looks even sadder as a result.  I remember sobbing "ma pauvre petite voiture" as they got the chainsaws out.  How daft is that?

I'm gobsmacked...

I would have bet the person in that car was dead, and you are here with us ; thanks to technology ! [:)]

I must admit I had a crush on the Micra this pm , comfortable and reliable it seems, within my budget, and recommended at least by three friends who have one .

Coops, your story makes me think security is a must, indeed.

[quote user="just john "]Here's a new Citroen you might be interested in, I saw this go up the hill at Goodwood,  [8-|][/quote]That sounds GORgeous!

Every time I see one of your posts JJ, I'm struck by your sign-off line as the smack up also happened on an idle Tuesday at around that time.  It is indeed the things you never consider.  In the past I wouln't have paid a lot of attention to a car's safety features but a good chassis, decent brakes, and a full set of airbags etc can truly make all the difference.  If I'd had a five point harness I wouldn't have "submarined" either and thus my knee probably wouldn't have suffered so much - maybe when I get my Porsche!

I don't think Red Bull would have me, Teapot.

I don't think you'd be dissappointed with the Micra, Frenchie, honestly. 

I missed the not off....

Actually, it's sounds like an RT to me.

It could only be a Citroen, couldn't it?

Talking of clanky sounding engines - I have a feeling that the Rover in Frenchies original post might have a Perkins engine.  Noisy brutes but otherwise sort of okay - they certainly supplied diesel engines to the Rover group in its various guises for years.  I had one in my Maestro van. 

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="just john "]Here's a new Citroen you might be interested in, I saw this go up the hill at Goodwood,  [8-|][/quote]That sounds GORgeous!

If I'd had a five point harness I wouldn't have "submarined" either and thus my knee probably wouldn't have suffered so much - maybe when I get my Porsche!

[/quote]

I think an ejection seat would have been better than a 5 point harness (although bang seats have a 5 point as well)[:D]

I ve booked the Micra ! [:)]

Waiting til I get the money fom the insurance company now..

So this is my new car

Thanks to all of you for your posts, I ve learnt a lot , and please let's keep talking about cars, I like it .

In French when we get a new car we say " Ca s'arrose" , which means you have to pay a drink to your friends and family, in order for you to be lucky with the car .

So CDR soon ..   LOL  

[quote user="cooperlola"]A bit like wetting the baby's head I guess. Never thought about that but it may be .. A bit like pouring some champagne on a boat before its goes to sea for the first time too !I wish you both a long and safe life together.[:)] MERCI beaucoup, I will do my best not to be a horrible French chauffard   [Www]    [/quote]

[quote user="cooperlola"] [quote user="just john "] Here's a new Citroen you might be interested in, I saw this go up the hill at Goodwood,  [8-|][/quote] That sounds GORgeous! Every time I see one of your posts JJ, I'm struck by your sign-off line as the smack up also happened on an idle Tuesday at around that time.  It is indeed the things you never consider.  In the past I wouln't have paid a lot of attention to a car's safety features but a good chassis, decent brakes, and a full set of airbags etc can truly make all the difference.  If I'd had a five point harness I wouldn't have "submarined" either and thus my knee probably wouldn't have suffered so much - maybe when I get my Porsche! [/quote]

I have three bad reasons why I hate Tuesdays, and that's why I haven't changed the strap line yet, but I digress.

Reading your bit after mine, I thought about the new Top Gear reasonably priced car, not the fact that it is a Kia Cee'd or the Ha Ha funny (like the most disruptive kid in the class) Theatrics that the programme has descended into. No, I noticed the five point harness, properly located Corbeau seat, and roll cage, in the name of disclaimers and 'ealth 'n safetee' of Motorsport. Now I know that people would take the pith if this was installed in a Renault Modus but even if you were joking and only needed one person to say go on do it, then that would be me. How is that lovely knee of yours now anyway?.

PS Good luck Frenchie with your new car, is this the colour called Faded denim?;  in the interest of balance, here's what  honest john. says

Good: Cute, 'baby' like looks. class-leading ride. 

Bad:  Not much rear seat or luggage room. Renault electrics can fail. 1.5 DCIs is Renault diesel engine, Problems with faulty EGR valve may cause rough running, check if EGR valve has been replaced. 

Knee still giving me problems, but I'm getting there.  Nearly two years now and still need both hands to walk (if you get my drift.)

As you say, it's only the potential daft comments that put one off five point harnesses in everyday cars but after my little prang I think one would have made all the difference when you figure out what actually appears to have happened and what my injuries were.  If I manage to get enough money out of the lorry driver's insurance then my choice of car is between an old  Porker and a Megane RS - either of which would have said harness fitted because I really think it's sensible.

I did post my own negative observations about the Micra too.  One thing I'd say about the luggage comment is that in fact it's either poor legroom or luggage space because the move-able rear seat does in fact allow you to chose which you prefer.  But the roof line is so high in the back that in fact one can get a remarkable amount in it - and I know because I cart an inordinate amount of stuff around with me in my car and many people have remarked on the amount of stuff I could get into the old girl before her demise.

But the handling and sheer driveability was what I really loved about her.