Boring old subject, vacuum cleaners

mint

Sorry if you are yawning already but needs must.

I'm looking for an upright for the new pad.  Got a spaniel dog and one OH.  So, it will need to be good at picking up dog hairs and dirt from hard floors and rugs.

Years ago, I had an Oreck.  It was lightweight and worked like a dream.  Only thing was, you used to have to buy the bags and other bits and pieces from the Oreck people and have them sent out to you.

I saw, after some googling tonight, that the cheapest I could get it for is £239 from the UK.  Anyone got one of these from France?

Anyone got any other suggestions?  MUST be lightweight and not bulky so NOT Dyson.

Thank you for reading through to this bit!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Got a spaniel dog and one OH.  So, it will need to be good at picking up dog hairs and dirt from hard floors and rugs.

[/quote]

So it's Monsieur SW17 responsible for the dirt eh?

No further constructive comments sadly, because I don't do hoovers / washing mcs / irons. 

Sweets,not much help but I totally agree with you about Oreck. We left UK 3 years ago, bringing with us a bumper pack of bags/filters/bands. It may be because I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to vacuuming, but I've still got plenty. I'm sure they would deliver to France, they are so helpful, and for me it's the best for pet hairs.

Kathy

We have a Hoover One pet.  It is a bit bulky and is ugly, looks like a transformer stuck half way through doing it's thing but bu66er me can it suck, we ended up dragging it backwards or you couldn't move it on carpet.  When I bought it I went to Currys and looked at the suction watts, not the power consumed watts, it was the most powerful one there.  It's not the best built but it does have an incredibly long hose that comes off the bottom of the hoover so if you are using the hose you don't get the handle smacking you in the back of the head if you pull a bit too hard.  It can do the stairs right to the top with the vacuum still on the floor.  Oh, and it's bagless with hep filtration too.

Best hoover I have ever owned but ugly and a little bulky.

Jackie swears by her iRobot Roomba and it seems to do a good job every morning. Picks up all the cat hairs, we have three, cats not hairs, and although most of our floors are tiled seems to handle the odd short pile rug ok. She just starts it up and then leaves it to its own devices. It tells you when it has finished and calls for help if it gets stuck which is not very often. Has sensors to stop it charging down the stairs when working upstairs. Does a good job and no bags just a pull out drawer to empty. Great if you suffer from a bad back! On offer when we got it at Darty's @ 420Euros, there are cheaper models. Time will tell if it was worth it. Depends on how long the rechargeable battery and d.c. motor lasts!....................JR 

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Jackie swears by her iRobot Roomba and it seems to do a good job every morning. Picks up all the cat hairs, we have three, cats not hairs, and although most of our floors are tiled seems to handle the odd short pile rug ok. She just starts it up and then leaves it to its own devices. It tells you when it has finished and calls for help if it gets stuck which is not very often. Has sensors to stop it charging down the stairs when working upstairs. Does a good job and no bags just a pull out drawer to empty. Great if you suffer from a bad back! On offer when we got it at Darty's @ 420Euros, there are cheaper models. Time will tell if it was worth it. Depends on how long the rechargeable battery and d.c. motor lasts!....................JR 

[/quote]

All well and good but you can get a wife for less, they don't normally break down and if they do getting them fixed is free (lifetime warranty) and they last for years. Not only that but just like your cleaner you can 'switch them on' and go down the pub, bet your machine does not do the laundry, washing up, cook and make the beds. [;-)] The only problem comes when its time to trade them in for a newer model, scraping them can be quite expensive. [:D]

Sweets, whilst I agree 100% that Dysons are heavy to pick up, they are extremely light in use.  I wouldn't have anything else and I spent a couple of years cleaning houses and encountered all kinds of horrid devices.  If you don't have any stairs to lug the thing up and down then I wouldn't factor their actual weight into the issue - it's not relevant.  I'm not so mad about their cylinder ones though - I admit - but then I've never found one that got dog hairs off  rugs etc like an upright - Henry, Vax, Miele, you name it!

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

"All well and good but you can get a wife for less." True but you cannot always find the off switch, ooh what have I said, I am in trouble now!!!................JR

[/quote]This is one of the advantages of a forum - we women can always turn you lot off if we wish, and vice versa!

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

"All well and good but you can get a wife for less." True but you can not always find the off switch. Ooh what have I said, I am in trouble now!!!................JR

[/quote]

Yes you can it's called a credit card, then simply point them in the direction of the shop's. The trick is not to tell them it's run out. [Www]

Whilst perusing the local dump, I bagged a Russel Hobbs Pet Cyclonic 1800. Its white with black spots, bagless and easy enough to use. Works well too, but the hose attachment is lame - very short indeed. Its as well built as a 1980's Fiat interior, but the stuff that falls off doesn't seem to affect its performance.

[quote user="sweet 17"]What only a few recommendations?  Yes, yes, boring....but most people must have one and must have an opinion?[/quote]

Well, you have stipulated that you don't want a cylinder, and that you don't want a Dyson…    Thereby ruling out all of those who are aching to propose the most evident solution to your problems :   Get a Dyson cylinder.