Boring old subject, vacuum cleaners

mint

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really a boring subject is it?  Recommendations are always best since a new cleaner can be quite a big investment euro-wise.

My recommendation won't be much good since you probably want something light and streamlined. No Dysons!!!!!!!    I replaced my elderly Panasonic upright with a Dyson Animal.   This removes pet hairs so fast it's unbelievable, hurtles around furniture and has quite alarming suction so I generally carry a plastic bag around the house with me so that I can empty the cylinder a lot. The dogs and cats ,who will allow themselves to be vacuumed rather than move with my other cylinder cleaner, move with lightning speed when I approach with this - they've seen what the sheep look like in early summer and are clearly anxious to avoid similar humiliation !   I wouldn't be without this cleaner, even though it does give you a bit of a work-out on the stairs.   I know that Orecks are excellent and also the Nilfisks.  ALSO....for anyone still suffering Panasonic withdrawal symptoms, there's one here gratuit.

I agree, the latest Dyson multicyclones are a huge step up from the earlier single cyclone models and the "City vac" range are so light and small. All the copies just have the single cyclones so are already way behind IMO.

I noted the comment on Henry's earlier, "no bag to empty" there are bags if you want to filter the air from small particles but so many commercial setups are too lazy so only the big stuff gets caught by the mesh bag, the fine dust is just sucked up and blown out again to settle somewhere new but I guess people have different standards. Only ever used one Sebo but really well built if a tad heavy to use all day (gives you a work out) but a good machine.

I have two, a cylinder panasonic and a James, the yellow version of the Henry and always use bags with it. I had one in France and one in England and now, I simply have two. My son wants me to get a Dyson, which, I have told him he is free to buy for himself when he gets his own place. My friend has a Dyson and lots of bits on it seemed to crack/break on it from early on, and I got shocks from it as something near the handle would short out and a then get me. Don't like Dysons and my little repair mans shop where I buy my bags from has Dysons lined up like dead Daleks all awaiting repair.

Never heard of the Nilfisk but they look pretty good, something to look at when my James and Panasonic eventually give up the ghost.

My brother and SIL have a Miele cylinder and reckon it is the best vac they have ever had.

At the moment I am happy with mine.

I had one of the first upright Dysons but there was a design fault where the hose joined the body of the apparatus and the hose was continuously under strain unless you held it a certain way to straighten out the kink.

Plus I didn't like the weight (and nor did the cleaning lady) and I also didn't like the big cleaning head that wouldn't go under beds or chairs.

I loved my Oreck and it was very efficient but, here in France, just ordering bags and stuff would be cost prohibitive.

Now, I love my dinky little Vax.  Just used it this morning and it works sweet as a nut.  However, I must admit that I don't have any carpets, just the odd rug or two or three and the hard floors are a cinch to clean.

I bought a Borsch when we first came, then one of those mini hoovers that you charge overnight and use for 40 minutes in the day but neither had the suction power that I needed.

Charly, you are right, an aspirateur is now very much an "investment".  It's not just the money (although it is clearly that as well), it's the frustration of having something that doesn't work and the hassle of finding a replacement.

[quote user="idun"]

My friend has a Dyson and lots of bits on it seemed to crack/break on it from early on, and I got shocks from it as something near the handle would short out and a then get me. Don't like Dysons and my little repair mans shop where I buy my bags from has Dysons lined up like dead Daleks all awaiting repair.

[/quote]

People often forget to register their Dysons so don't get free parts replacement for two years, something I usually exploit when I get hold of one [:)] remember the idiot proof statement [;-)]

The shock you got was caused by static electricity from the high volume of air that Dysons pass compared to ordinary hoovers, you get the same thing off workshop vacuums like Karcher and Syclone (brico depot). Most failings in Dysons are motors caused by overheating due to clogged filters, just because their isn't a bag to change doesn't mean neglecting the hepa filters all fine particle filters will clog easier than the massively in-efficient old vacuums we were used to "better idiots required" [:D]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]"I bought a Borsch when we first came, "[:)]

Sweets, did it come packed in a soup bowl?
[/quote]

Told you I can't spell anything any more.  I had to write filet steak (label for the freezer today) and I couldn't think whether it should have an extra "t" and an "e" at the end!  So....stupid and then, do you spell stupid with an "e" at the end as well?[:D]

I don't think I like beetroot in soup so perhaps that's why that vacuum was never any good......[I]

Don't think it was static. The wires were exposed and there was an arc as it shorted out and twice onto me, before I tools downed and said that it was dangerous.

My friend called the Dyson people out, she had done the guarantee, he came out quickly whilst we were still on holiday there and just fixed the wiring and all the other broken bits.

I would hate to think that I just go to people's homes and hoover, I'm not that keen on housework to be honest, but do do my bit when we are staying with friends, it is only fair.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]"I bought a Borsch when we first came, "[:)]

Sweets, did it come packed in a soup bowl?

[/quote]

Told you I can't spell anything any more.  I had to write filet steak (label for the freezer today) and I couldn't think whether it should have an extra "t" and an "e" at the end!  So....stupid and then, do you spell stupid with an "e" at the end as well?[:D]

I don't think I like beetroot in soup so perhaps that's why that vacuum was never any good......[I]

[/quote]

Well in France we have a Bosch (vacuum cleaner not the soup variety[:)]) and it's excellent, in U.K. we have a Miele which is also excellent.

Sweets, I too always have a problem with the filet word, you are not alone.[8-)]

I always was a lousy speller, but it doesn' t help with french words like medicine or is it medecine and tarif, which I actually am unsure as to how to spell it in english without looking it up, but that could be english and the french one could be different. Even the lottery has different spellings in both countries. Filet, I think  is french but fillet is english, but for the freezer I would just be happy with mis spelled as opposed to not labled, which means that I get four things out and hoping that there is at least a main meal in a plastic bag or box to be had.