Rehearsing a wedding

idun

Now, me being a fish out of water in a church, I have to say that I have been to weddings in churches, because friends and family have done just that and married in church.

What I have seen is that the groom arrives and waits. Then there is a tune and the bride with someone on her arm walks up the aisle often with bridesmaids and kids following. A bit of talking, maybe a few songs and then they say their lines and a quick kiss, sign something and back down the aisle together.

Now why is that wedding tomorrow requiring so many rehersals? Are they going to do a turn, a bit of a song and dance, or will it just be as I have said.

Please, for those of you who know about things, explain why they keep going to 'practice' for tomorrow, it never looks a hard thing to do to be honest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, Idun, it is a mystery to me also.  It took just two of us and two witnesses to repeat the two or three sentences, sign the register then out again.  Apart from a couple of quid for the bit of paper and another few for a ring (which I never wear), that was it.  No muss, no fuss. (It's our 38th year, btw.)  I cannot imagine why a young couple feels they have to blow their hard-earned on all this c*** - it's tough enough when you start out as it is.  As for tomorrow (I discovered from a post on here that that's when it is), I guess it's not their money, so what do they care how many times they practice?

I think some of it's about being the centre of attraction for a day, or being a princess for the day, both things usually indulged by the groom-to-be. Or are there many men who like the display of it all?

My daughter spent a fortune on her wedding, wanted everything to be perfect. Of course it wasn't, grandson was recovering from chickenpox and made a terrible smell in his nappy, then had to be changed out of his little posh suit and wore a green tee-shirt with a dragon on the front for most of the day. (It did nothing for his little spotty face.) We did enjoy it though because the family was all there and we don't get to see one another very often. Oh, and I lost my voice, don't know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing!

Your wedding sounds like ours Coops. A couple of friends as witnesses a very few unavoidable family members  and friends who bowled in just to see. Cost little, was as much fuss as I care for. And I don't wear my ring either, cannot remember the last time I did, it was many many years ago.

I don't get the cost of it all. ie my friend's daughter is doing it all soon, including a horse and cart, although I'm sure that there is a 'nicer' way of saying that. And yet her car in unreliable and she could do with a new or newer one. I just don't get any of it, never mind practicing it. And Kate can practice all she wants and then she still could end up saying 'to be my awful wedded husband'. Heard it said at a wedding.

Frecossais, I am very uncomfortable being the centre of attraction/attention. Maybe that is why I never wanted such a thing. I don't mind big family do's. Maybe they should be introduced without anyone specific, ie the bride/groom OR baby OR deceased, being the centre of attention. Everyone chip in and have a good big get together. I would enjoy that far better.

It was the money thing which did it for me, Idun.  We had a big get-together at our local pub in the evening and Mr C's father gave a lunch at his house for the family (my mother refused to come if I asked my father so she solved that problem at a stroke!)  I couldn't see any point in spending hundreds on a dress I'd wear only once, and flowers which would be dead within the week (I dont' like cut flowers on principle anyway - they should be outside in gardens.)

Because they are royal / infamous doesn't mean they are also intelligent.  Maybe they can't remember the words?   Remember Diana's cock up?  She couldn't even remember who it was she was marrying - even after all the rehearsals!

Personally, I am planning a good day's gardening - well away from the TV.

Mrs R51

Well I'm going to watch, like it or lump it the Uk has a monachy and all this pomp and ceremony is something we do well - estimates are that a quarter of the worlds population will watch ! My American and European friends seem  very interested !!!

Why not enjoy a 'good news' story for a change? [:)]

I am supposed to be away walking with 2 friends and it's a long and complicated explanation but here I am instead.

I promised myself I won't say a single word about the Wedding because I have nothing positive or encouraging to say about it and, in my book, if you can't say anything pleasant, KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT, right?

Anyway, I couldn't help reflecting on all the hundreds of articles in all the major European languages (for all I know, all the other languages of the world as well) and I find it difficult to believe that what involves only 2 young people could build up such a head of steam.

Talking about HEAD, it seems that KM and mum and sis have had several trial hair-dos and spent hours at their coiffeur, perfecting just that right look.  Then, in the next breath, it seems that Kate wants to look "natural" but she will have a team of hairdressers on the Big Day to ensure this natural look![8-)][:-))][blink]

I have never heard such nonsense!  I sport the natural look which involves a hair cut every 3 months or so.  I wash my hair, go to my coiffeuse's house, she cuts it, I return home, voila!

Can you imagine if she really says, right, I'm going to look "natural" and all the team of hairdressers can be dismissed, all the trial runs done away with, the money goes to a charity to provide lunch on my Big Day to feed the homeless in London.  At one stroke, she would win some brownie points, not have to have those primpers (careful!) messing around her for hours on end, trying one look after another, and win the admiration of hundreds of thousands in the UK and worldwide.

A no brainer?  But who says these people have any rational thought?

I've been a bit surprised at the amount of bunting that has appeared in this village today. I shall watch it. I enjoy an old-fashioned church wedding and I like to see the carriages and the fashions.

As a bit of jewellery fanatic and a gambler I thought of having a bet on which tiara she would wear, but in the end I decided against it.

Hoddy

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I am supposed to be away walking with 2 friends and it's a long and complicated explanation but here I am instead.

I promised myself I won't say a single word about the Wedding because I have nothing positive or encouraging to say about it and, in my book, if you can't say anything pleasant, KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT, right?

Anyway, I couldn't help reflecting on all the hundreds of articles in all the major European languages (for all I know, all the other languages of the world as well) and I find it difficult to believe that what involves only 2 young people could build up such a head of steam.

Talking about HEAD, it seems that KM and mum and sis have had several trial hair-dos and spent hours at their coiffeur, perfecting just that right look.  Then, in the next breath, it seems that Kate wants to look "natural" but she will have a team of hairdressers on the Big Day to ensure this natural look![8-)][:-))][blink]

I have never heard such nonsense!  I sport the natural look which involves a hair cut every 3 months or so.  I wash my hair, go to my coiffeuse's house, she cuts it, I return home, voila!

Can you imagine if she really says, right, I'm going to look "natural" and all the team of hairdressers can be dismissed, all the trial runs done away with, the money goes to a charity to provide lunch on my Big Day to feed the homeless in London.  At one stroke, she would win some brownie points, not have to have those primpers (careful!) messing around her for hours on end, trying one look after another, and win the admiration of hundreds of thousands in the UK and worldwide.

A no brainer?  But who says these people have any rational thought?

[/quote]

Give me a break - how many brides go to the hairdressers, or have them come to them on the day of their wedding ? And thats with just family and friends watching, leave alone the worlds media. Tomorrow, to some extent the wedding  and the trappings, righly or wrongly, will represent the Uk in the eyes of much of the world, given that the Middletons can well afford it why shouldn't the girl have a nice hairdo ?

As for charity, a street collection along the route of the wedding procession has been organised and the couple have already asked for donations rather than gifts : http://www.italoeuropeo.com/notizie/focus/william-and-kate-ask-for-charity-donations-in-lieu-of-wedding-gifts/

RH, that is the whole point I am making.

She is in a unique position to do something perhaps many like yourself will consider barmy or outrageous.  She is pretty enough and what is wrong with acting differently from the expected and saying well, this is my special contribution?

And I don't mean organised charity.  Imagine, a single person, taking a stand, showing independence, compassion, commonsense...and with the whole world watching!  A never to be repeated opportunity!

There will be less cynism about the whole affair, the would-be suicide bombers might hesitate, the republicans take note, the monarchy bashers withhold their carping, the admiration and affection of millions could be hers at a stroke.

I don't see anything wrong with making my suggestion, RH.  As for giving you a break; well, I did think such an alternative viewpoint as mine might just be the thing to get those with entrenched thinking (I refuse to use that much-abused phrase "thinking outside the box") realise that not everyone buys into this Myth of the Fairytale Royal Wedding.

Me, I like to think for myself and I make a deliberate attempt not to get carried along by the "general concensus".

Edit:  another alternative view upon which I make no comment. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381422/German-magazine-Der-Spiegel-condemns-overhyped-Royal-Wedding-joke.html

I dont mind republicans or even just plain anti-Royalists, I make no apology for being a Royalist.

If you want to watch the wedding do so, if you dont, then dont. Lots of people are interested so dont knock it.

In terms of hairdoes, Mrs PD had her hair done specially for our wedding 43 years ago, we also had the full do with a guard of honour. Each to his own.

But, I didn't knock the wedding!  Where did I do that?

I simply suggested that it seems ironic that, to achieve a "natural" look, so much effort has to be necessary.  Or don't you see the humour in that?

Then I went on to suggest that the bride does something unexpected and benefit others as well as herself.

I have certainly not said anything about watching or not watching.  As it happens, I think it will be impossible to avoid as it's going to be wall-to-wall wedding for the next however many months, years, decades. 

1. I never accused anyone of 'knocking' the Royal wedding, much less you Sweets, it is a fact that many adverse comments have been made by various people in various fora on the net in general.

2. My comment about Mrs PD and her wedding hairdo were somewhat 'throwaway'.

I guess there have been many favourable comments as well, PD.

As Coops, amongst others, has said, it's really nobody's business than that of the couple concerned.  In another sense, however, marriage is traditionally more than a personal issue.  It has social, legal, political aspects, not to mention the very important function of lineage.

I bet Mrs PD looked lovely! 

Perhaps, to continue the wedding hairdo theme, people might like to send in pictures of theirs?[:D]  That should be good for a few smiles?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I guess there have been many favourable comments as well, PD.

As Coops, amongst others, has said, it's really nobody's business than that of the couple concerned.  In another sense, however, marriage is traditionally more than a personal issue.  It has social, legal, political aspects, not to mention the very important function of lineage.

I bet Mrs PD looked lovely! 

Perhaps, to continue the wedding hairdo theme, people might like to send in pictures of theirs?[:D]  That should be good for a few smiles?

[/quote]

She did, and still does.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

But, I didn't knock the wedding!  Where did I do that?

I simply suggested that it seems ironic that, to achieve a "natural" look, so much effort has to be necessary.  Or don't you see the humour in that?

Then I went on to suggest that the bride does something unexpected and benefit others as well as herself.

I have certainly not said anything about watching or not watching.  As it happens, I think it will be impossible to avoid as it's going to be wall-to-wall wedding for the next however many months, years, decades. 

[/quote]

Sweet 17 - Do you have inside knowledge ? [8-)]

As far as I know very few people know what 'look' she will go for, however whatever it is and being as rightly or wrongly they will represent the UK tomorrow,  I hope she doesn't rely on a home hairdresser and a 'Twink' [:)] Or worse a Wash and Go [:)]

Just like every bride she deserves to feel pampered and special on what at heart is her wedding day

I think that generally they have done 'enough' for charity, surely they are allowed a little indulgence ?

All things considered I think that he has turned out remarkably well, and Kate seems a typical upper middle class 'gal' with  a stable family background and her head screwed on - I wish them all the luck in the world, as I would any other couple embarking on married life. 

OK. Why does a bride need to feel special and pampered. Maybe a long time ago when the bride would be a virgin, then I can imagine that some pampering and reassuring may well have been needed, especially if she didn't even know her groom. But these days, heck half the people I know have their children at their weddings.

I approve of marriage, but marriage isn't a wedding either, just the legal procedure and for those that do, spiritual procedure too.

As I said, I am not against big family gatherings, or big parties. I like all the pomp and stuff that 'we' do in the UK too.

This fuss about this wedding truly remains beyond me.

I 'm not a gardener, but B&Q and Wilkinsons await me tomorrow as I need paint.