Long Weekend away

idun

Planning a long weekend away with girl friends and was wondering where we should go.

Here is the NO list, either because we have already visited, or they have, or I have and never want to go again.

Amsterdam

Paris

Rome

Prague

Barcelona

Bruges

London

Places I am thinking of are

Dublin

Brussels

Madrid

Lisbon

Venice

Budapest

So of the places I am thinking of, any comments or further suggestions. We need cheap flights from the UK and Lyons or Geneva.

My daughter has been to Dublin and liked it very much, but my choice would be Lisbon, a lovely city, lively, but also very easy transport (short train ride) to Cascais or Estoril in fact I'd probably choose to stay in one of those resorts and travel in. Sintra and Obidos would be good trips too if you wanted a little history.

I've heard good reports of  Madrid too.

I have forgotten Berlin so to add to the possible list, but have been to Copenhagen a couple of times, so will add it to my no list as I would like to see somewhere new. I've not added Stockholm or Oslo as these nordic countries can be very expensive, and we do these trips as cheaply as we can really.

Morroco, no, don't fancy to be honest.

Ah Salamanca and the Napoleonic wars and Sharpe series comes to mind!

San Fermin, now that would make my son smile, one of his first placements when a trainee cook was at a resto called SanFermin.

Florence no, I'd forgotten several friends have already been. I 'd love to go one day, but not with them.

So what about my list, any other comments about that.

[quote user="idun"]

So what about my list, any other comments about that.

[/quote]

Dublin, No. Expensive, rains a lot.

Brussels, No. Full of EU bureaucrats, much dog cr&p on the pavements.

Madrid, No. Bull fights, very congested.

Lisbon. No. Again congested and expensive.

Venice. No. Smelly canals and very expensive.

Budapest. Possibly. Well you can at least swim in the Danube.

"Santander Spain, few tourists, fairly unspoilt and

cheap. BF may still run direct from Plymouth, takes 24 hours and you

girls can have a real hoot on the crossing."

Yes, Santander also good and now there's a ferry service from Portsmouth to Santander as well as from Plymouth.

We need to fly and from a northern airport too. And french friends need to get to whereever from Lyon or Geneva.

Several friends have been to St Petersburg and all of us 'french resident people' all know Monaco.So both those are out too.

Liking the look of Lisbon for the time being, and as we are not bothered by the weather, then Dublin is still high on my list too.

[quote user="idun"]Thankyou one and all. I reckon that I'll have to go a scouting for cheap flights and hotels now. Always need to give a rough idea of price to friends before we decide.[/quote]

idun, Dublin is great but very expensive, you mention Lisbon and yes it's a beautiful city, but take a look at Oporto, not as expensive as Lisbon, lively but not overpowering, culturally stunning, and a certain low cost airline is doing great deals from French airports to Oporto, I would think that they probably do the same from the UK. what ever your choice; enjoy.  

LOL NickP, I am not a drinker really, but port, well, I do enjoy it, not that I imbibe very often. Friends have brought me back good port from Oporto in the past. If we went there and there were plenty of places where I could do degustations, then I think I would be blind drunk for the whole trip, as an almost non drinker, I'm away on a few sips. So maybe not, for another time perhaps.

Pacha, I have started a new thread about Pamplona, just for you![:D]

I loved the botanical gardens when I walked past there.

As for Verona, have never been but you are right about Aida...it's best staged in the open air.