Nudism rules, OK

mint

If you think I'm talking about le topic du jour, Prince Harry in Las Vegas, you'd be mistaken.

No, I'm talking about moi.

Having had to resort to my birthday suit for large parts of the day as the canicule shows no sign of easing up, I have joined the Nudism is Nature at its Best Brigade.

And, no, don't bother bringing your mobile phones when you come to visit as I doubt any picture of me naked will attract other than morbid attention if published on the internet.  My body is a real sight for sore eyes, being covered from the neck down to mid thigh in an ugly, angry, red heat rash.

For someone who thinks the burka is a sensible and useful garment, I am now grudgingly obliged to expose large areas of my skin to the air as I have read that this is the ONLY way to deal with prickly heat.

I am NOT a happy bunny and there is a serious side to this post.  If anyone has any knowledge of what to put on the rash (except hydrocortisone cream which I already use too much of for eczema) please tell me.

In my schooldays, I imagined nudist clubs would be full of La Bardot and her equally nubile friends. Interesting places to visit, I thought.

In my late teens I went, with a girlfriend, to see Easyrider in a cinema in Soho. The programme had a strange second film the plot of which entailed a couple of young ladies (with rather strange eyemake-up and hairstyles) trying to convince their male boss to come with them to their “club”. When he did, under the impression it was a sports club, he acted as if surprised, when they appeared unclothed. “I thought this was a sports club” he remarked, “Yes it is you can play all kinds of sports here”, the girls replied. The censorship of the day meant the film was very short, jumps in continuity showing it was obviously cut down from a far longer version. Easyrider was the better film.

Last year we walked the length of Palmyre beach, at the north end, there is a rather morose Club Med settlement (it was in September) and at the southern end it became clear the beach was for those not wearing clothes. The half a century since I was at school has taken a toll on La Bardot and her friends (and on myself). I think the strangest sight was a large mixed group of nudists playing an earnest game of boule on the sand. I thought of the girls in the film and they were right - one can play all kinds of sports with no clothes on, but is it wise to do so?

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/miliaria-prickly-heat-heat-rash

This is the most relevant bit but it is worth reading the whole page

• Calamine lotion may cool and soothe the skin.
  • Wear loose cotton clothing or clothing that has breathable fabric.
  • Using an antibacterial soap or antiseptic wash may help to keep the

number of bacteria on your skin down. This may reduce the risk of

developing miliaria.There are no research trials that have been done to

prove this, but it sounds sensible.
  • Some people feel that moisturiser creams that contain anhydrous lanolin help to prevent blockage of the sweat ducts

If you continue to sweat and the rash covers a large part of your body,

then you have a small risk of developing a high fever and/or heat

exhaustion.
If this occurs, seek medical attention.

[quote user="Renaud"]In my schooldays, I imagined nudist clubs would be full of La Bardot and her equally nubile friends. Interesting places to visit, I thought. In my late teens I went, with a girlfriend, to see Easyrider in a cinema in Soho. The programme had a strange second film the plot of which entailed a couple of young ladies (with rather strange eyemake-up and hairstyles) trying to convince their male boss to come with them to their “club”. When he did, under the impression it was a sports club, he acted as if surprised, when they appeared unclothed. “I thought this was a sports club” he remarked, “Yes it is you can play all kinds of sports here”, the girls replied. The censorship of the day meant the film was very short, jumps in continuity showing it was obviously cut down from a far longer version. Easyrider was the better film. Last year we walked the length of Palmyre beach, at the north end, there is a rather morose Club Med settlement (it was in September) and at the southern end it became clear the beach was for those not wearing clothes. The half a century since I was at school has taken a toll on La Bardot and her friends (and on myself). I think the strangest sight was a large mixed group of nudists playing an earnest game of boule on the sand. I thought of the girls in the film and they were right - one can play all kinds of sports with no clothes on, but is it wise to do so?[/quote]

How about the sand getting into sensitive parts (I mean such as between the toes)?

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

It's very boring sitting in the basement with only Sudoku for company and reading Fred Vargas paragraph by paragraph, once in French and once in English, but I am learning lots of swear words in French (and that's some comfort)!

I agree a loose fitting cotton kaftan is as good as I ever managed. I remember someone telling me that shorts were cooler. What nonsense all those layers of fabric between one's thighs and a waist band. A long skirt is marginally better, but the waist still gets horribly wet. So a kaftan or loose fitting long cotton dress and no undies, is about as good as I ever managed clothed.

In the USA I found that they sold medicated vaseline and that in fact was wonderful for sore areas that were troubling me during the very hot weather.

I was in France for the canicule of 2003. They were talking about it the other day on french tv and I found myself sweating just watching the old footage. It was an horrific time for me and I simply would never want to be in, never mind live, anywhere hot again, ever in my life. I have told friends it would 'do' for me, and I reckon that it would.

I sympathise Sweet17and can only think that getting the clim' in your home will be the solution for when this happens again.

Poor you!  Have you tried putting ice packs on strategic spots, eg back of neck. In Singapore you could get special talcum powder for prickly heat, but I expect you know that, as I think you were there once. It was very effective. Might get cooler tonight.

On a lighter note, I read somewhere that topless beach sunbathing has gone out of fashion because young women are so obsessed with having a "perfect" body, they think anything else is gross.

edit - I'm wearing a caftan now, I agree it's the coolest thing to wear.

Sweet, poor you and other sufferers! [:(]

I'm another who wears kaftans around the house and out on the balcony when the temperature rises to uncomfortable levels. I suffer from prickly heat around and just above my ankles when I go walking in boots and socks - and yes, I do still wear them in summer for the protection the boots give from turning my ankles. I always apply Dermaguard skin protector around my ankles before my socks, which used to help prevent it but isn't as effective in recent months.

I asked at the pharmacy for something to help, as it's very unsightly for days afterwards when out wearing sandals; I was sold a lotion in a tube which helped - sorry, it's in France and I'm not and can't remember the name! I seem to remember that one of the ingredients was chestnut, and it had to be kept in the fridge.........

Edit. I've just read Russethouse's suggestion of antihistamines; I take one daily all year round because of rhinitis but still get prickly heat, although it might work for some.

Having experienced said complaint in the Middle East I feel for you

Sweets. Being the worlds worst scratcher at the best of times I'll leave

it to your imagination how maddening it was.

Unfortunately I can't really offer any practical advice, I can't really

remember how I dealt with it as it was best part of 30 years ago.

I'd definitely say see your doctor about it though.

FWIW 'chez Ernst' is an apparel free zone for those who care to go 'au naturelle' - which is just about all our family and visitors. The rest have to learn to live with it !

We have no near neighbours and therefore no problems in that respect.

Best wishes

Could I just post a quick reply and would you please read the part that is in response to YOUR post?

RH, yes, my regular antihistamine (for my asthma) plus a strong one the doctor prescribed only week before last for Athlete's Foot.  Yes, got that as well, also for the first time and it, too, was unbridled like this heat rash.

GG, lucky you, at least you can still walk.  I haven't been able to get my boots on for about 3 weeks now (on account of raw, peeling, bleeding feet) and wouldn't be able to walk in the sun and heat in any case.

Erns, I thought of you and how enviabley close you might have been to the North Sea, after your post![:D]  That salty, freezing water might have done a power of good for the prickly heat.

My skin now looks like red, badly and lumpily applied crepi but the good news is that the forecast is for a drop in temperature tomorrow, hurray!

Might even be cool enough tomorrow to go out in the air-conditioned car ([:D]) to the chemist to buy some of that cream Clair has recommended (merci, Clair)

Thank you for the suggestions and the concern; all greatly appreciated as this thing, whilst not exactly life-threatening, does rather make one feel distinctly unlovely and untouchable.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Are you sure it's not urticaria? I had that so badly that I was put on a hefty dose of prenisolone.[/quote]

Well, I diagnosed myself on the internet!  Looked carefully at the pictures and the descriptions [:P]

Funnily, the doc gave me 32 mg of prednisolone daily for 6 days after he couldn't cure the athlete's foot with his initial prescriptions.  Talk about being on steroids, I felt pumped full of something and felt on a high the whole time [:-))]

[quote user="AnOther"]Obviously not keeping up Sweets, I retired in April and am now living the life of ease - if you believe that.............!!!
[/quote]

Happy Retirement, Erns....and say hello to Mrs Bluecat from me!

SW17, for the last 5 odd summers in France, may have been longer, I had to walk on split and bleeding feet. Best thing for them was comfy mules I could just slip my feet into.

If you are suffering so much, what about getting a mobile air conditioning unit. They probably are not the best around, but surely one would help.

Well I am next to the North Sea, and very nice it is too. Chucked it down today, but it isn't cold, around 20° today, so as cardigans were obviously made for such weather, a summer frock, cardy and mac were what I wore today when I went out. We have had a mixed old bag of weather recently.

What I miss about french weather is my alpine winters, I did love them.

SW17

Just stop worrying and run around in your birthday suit if that's the only solution. If that dress code is good enough for the Royals then it's good enough for you. I know you can't compete with Harry or Henry (ri) [;-)]as he was called at the Olympics closing ceremony, and your pictures probably won't appear in The Sun today but don't beat yourself up about that.[8-|]

Happy Friday[:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Are you sure it's not urticaria? I had that so badly that I was put on a hefty dose of prenisolone.[/quote]

Yikes, RH, after that comment, I went scuttling back to the internet and looked at more pics, etc.  I'd almost convinced myself that that was indeed what was the matter.  All these red blobs that run into each other to make interesting seas of red with the odd pale, normal coloured islands of flesh in between most closely resemble urticaria or hives (since I have learned).

So, OH and I went through my diet, daily activities, etc and came to the conclusion that it couldn't be allergic (urticaria being offen due to allergy) as nothing had changed and the only variable was the weather.

Norman, I studied your link with close attention (the first time you gave it me) and, by a process of elimination and deduction in true Sherlock Holmes fashion, we decided that it MUST be heat rash after all.

Now, wait for it, I found a means of relief...apart from the birthday suit (thank you, Cendrillon, I've stopped caring what I look like [:-))])  I made up a solution of water and bicarb and applied it all over.  The itch is better; everything still looks a mess but certainly less angry.

So, thank you indeed everybody.  How kind you all are [:D]!