VI Nations

NormanH

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Mind you, if the match tomorrow fails to deliver, on Sunday I have the centenary match between The Old Patesians and Gloucestershire RFU President's XV in Cheltenham to look forward to. At least with that I get a free bar and buffet.[/quote]

Our elder son still plays at a reasonable level in SW1/2 and has occasionally found himself up against Gloucester area (and further West) sides incl Old Pats. He says that they're "Horrible" to play against.

Being a lock, he's referring in particular to the nasty deeds in the scrum. What do you feed them on down there - raw cheval? 

Nasty deeds in a scrum? Surely not.

The biggest risk on the Pats ground, though, is from drowning. You certainly wouldn't want to be at the bottom of a ruck for too long.

Glos forwards are in fact all perfectly charming. They only resort to eating cheval when they've run out of opposition locks.

It seems clear from quotes from the likes of Dusautoir that the French are going to put everything into this one. Of course, they will be hoping to unsettle the English with such hype but even my French pal - who is normally pessimistic just before a big match - assures me Les Bleus are going to win.

It certainly won't be a game for softies. I just hope it lives up to (our) expectations.

Until the bizarre French subs started it was great watching a French team that was reminiscent of the old team rather than the shambles of the last two games. I really thought they might win. However, after the subs it was dire.

Taking off Parra and Transdhuc - WHY ????????? Parra was the glue holding France together, he was everywhere, he inspired the rest of the team and after his loss they lost direction.

There may well have been some poor decisions by the officials but the Ref is the Ref and it's the same for both teams.

The Wales - England game could be a real cracker.

"After the match, Tuilagi required 19 stitches, two of

which were internal, after he was caught by the elbow of French number

eight Louis Picamoles while making his first tackle of the match but

Tuilagi ordered the team doctor to just bandage up his head and he

played on.

"It was the first collision of the match," Tuilagi said. "I sparked

out for a couple of seconds. I'm not sure if I was knocked out but I was

definitely dazed. It is one of the biggest collisions I have ever had. I

just told the doctor to wrap it up. The doctor was saying I needed

stitches but I said, 'No, just tape it up'."

He added: "I wanted to stay out there and help the team and do anything to contribute to the win."

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Rabbie"]

After last week who would have thought Scotland would be in 2nd place in the table. [:D]

[/quote]

I think that you're doing your boys down Rabbie.  Even under the previous regime, they were an improving side, albeit slowly.

The proof of the proverbial pudden will be vs Ireland in a fortnight. With a few Irish injuries, I just have a sneaking feeling ......

Let's put it this way - happy that we're not facing you in our last match.   

[/quote]

There Rabbie - told you so.  Goodness knows how, but they did it.  Depleted Irish side yes, but great defence.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Can you imagine a foot ball player taking that attitude ?[/quote]Yes. I remember Terry Butcher playing in a blood spattered shirt for England in the European championships about 21 years ago with his head heavily bandaged.

Still that attitude is more common on the rugby field than in football nowadays.

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Rabbie"]

After last week who would have thought Scotland would be in 2nd place in the table. [:D]

[/quote]

I think that you're doing your boys down Rabbie.  Even under the previous regime, they were an improving side, albeit slowly.

The proof of the proverbial pudden will be vs Ireland in a fortnight. With a few Irish injuries, I just have a sneaking feeling ......

Let's put it this way - happy that we're not facing you in our last match.   

[/quote]

There Rabbie - told you so.  Goodness knows how, but they did it.  Depleted Irish side yes, but great defence.

[/quote]Now if we can combine today's defence with the try-scoring we showed against Italy we should give the welsh a game in two weeks. [:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not.

That was 160 minutes of pretty dire stuff.  The weather (particularly in Dublin) didn't help, but it was disappointing that the Irish didn't close the game out against a very mediocre French side. Not one halfway decent 3/4 attack in either match.

Its bound to be better tomorrow, isn't it? 

A question for the experts - why are French commentators saying that the French XV have now (before the final games) avoided the wooden spoon in drawing with Ireland? We would say that they've avoided a whitewash. Surely the wooden spoon goes to the bottom team?

Or am I being a "girl"?

FairyNuff

[quote user="FairyNuff"]

A question for the experts

[/quote]

Maybe not an expert, but I think this is the way they see it.

The French reckon that they'll beat the Scots in Paris and that Ireland will beat the Italians in Rome.

Frankly I'd say that neither is a foregone conclusion: it only needs the Scots to win and France will be done for![:D]

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="FairyNuff"]

A question for the experts

[/quote]

Maybe not an expert, but I think this is the way they see it.

The French reckon that they'll beat the Scots in Paris and that Ireland will beat the Italians in Rome.

Frankly I'd say that neither is a foregone conclusion: it only needs the Scots to win and France will be done for![:D]

[/quote]

Exactly!! Go on you (dark) blues!

FairyNuff