Looks Like Snow!

Gardian

It's forecast to kick off this evening and continue overnight. The Meteo is suggesting anything up to 15cms for the eastern Gard / Rhone valley.

I think that the Herault and further west (Norman in Beziers was particularly targeted!) have already had some.

Need to respond to Mrs G's moanings and put a rad or two on!

There has been quite a bit 30 miles north of me in the Pas de Calais starting at Arras, on my way there today I saw random snow outside the lycée where I help out, it was around the cars of my colleagues from the Arras area so they must have had a good 15cm on their cars for it to have stood the journey, it looked really odd as there is no sign of snow here.

Yet!!!!

Despite orange warnings out from this morning for right along the far south, we've had just a tiny amount of snow.

Town was almost totally empty when I wandered in - thought I'd better have some exercise before it all got worse. I often have coffee etc at a particular cafe, and was asked if I would be staying for lunch - I was the only person in there, with 6 staff on the premises. I joked that they could sit at two tables each and eat a few meals. They cook fresh food each day, and will be closing exceptionally for the next 3 days, so I imagine they would all be taking a big pot home each.

A friend flew back to UK this morning, drove from here to Carcassonne to catch the plane. She emailed just now to say she was safely home, and that there was a blizzard in Carcassonne this morning, but that they were very lucky because the Charleroi incoming flight was diverted to Perpignan and all the outgoing passengers had to be bussed there to pick up their flight. Carcassonne was apparently very cold and slushy with a ferociously biting wind.

Our forecast in the Gard for tonight continues on orange alert, with ''Neige-Verglas et Vagues-submersion.''

Now I'm very familiar with neige-verglas, but never seen vagues-submersion before. We're nowhere near the sea, so we've no concerns, but feel sorry for those on the coast.

They had 20cm in Tarbes this morning enough to keep the kids at home as the school buses weren't running.

The ski resort up at La Mongie has been shut the last couple of days as they had >1m of snow, the roads are blocked and the ski stations need digging out, there is also a very high avalanche warning. It's good news for the rest of the season though as there will be snow now until April

I hope you can all get about and do what you need to do in your snow wherever you are in France . The 2 inches of the stuff we woke up to where I am in Dorset yesterday.......... Due to ungritted roads being a sheet of ice... Ended up with school busses in accidents roads blocked and I was not able to get to a patient to pick him up and take to Salisbury hospital for an Xray.

And that was only a couple of inches !!!

Here it snowed for about an hour, late morning, settled where dry, melted where wet, a few centimetres at most ... cleared by after lunch when OH set off to do the shopping (as I'm recuperating from flu so didn't go out and see for myself), but friend who teaches in Narbonne said all classes and meetings were cancelled in the afternoon and she'd had only 2 or 3 students turn up for her lessons in the morning, and so she drove home at lunch time, on the look out for all these snowdrifts we were supposed to be having and saw not a flake of snow ... in Narbonne it lasted all of  half an hour she said and melted as it fell!

Meteo is saying no snow here on one place and snow arriving late afternoon on another.  So which to believe???

I know that they have mentioned it recently, but we had thunder storms and snow last night. Neither of us can remember ever hearing thunder when we had snow in France.

In fact it used to sometimes 'get' us unaware, and we would have watched the forecasts. About say 1am, my usual bed time and I'd take the dog out for her last pee and it would be pleasant even feeling slightly mild for mid winter.......... to wake up to 2' of snow.

The snow has now gone from here, but is on the hills and I am glad!

Not as many stalls in the small market this morning, not many customers for that matter, but it was on early. There were quite a few cars in the nearby car park with a lot of snow on them, and a couple of lorries and trailers in town to do a refit for one of the small supermarkets also had large amounts of snow. One was definitely from the Ardeche.

We drove into Nimes this morning and saw a little snow lying as we drove along and there were a few flurries while we were in Nimes.

Back home, none at all. Our son in the Thames Valley, where we also live, says our granddaughter was thrilled to see the couple of cms of snow yesterday around where they live, but it had all gone by last night.

idun wrote the following post at 04/02/2015 12:02:

"I know that they have mentioned it recently, but we had thunder storms

and snow last night. Neither of us can remember ever hearing thunder

when we had snow in France."

Idun last week we had thunder and a flash of lightning here in Surrey. The sky was a black as could be, the wind howled, there was a hail storm and then we had snow. It was enough to cause chaos on the roads but the snow didn't last overnight. This week we had a covering of snow on Tuesday but again fortunately it didn't last for long. It has been bitterly cold though.

The forecasters have been predicting the snowpocalypse for the last week, with nothing at all arriving until yesterday when we got about 10cm or so. Getting about was easy enough, but then the Mensa club members that run the snow ploughs did their usual trick of skimming off the upper 7cm and leaving a perfectly flat, very compacted sheet of snow which froze to ice overnight.

I took the 4x4 down to town this morning and got on fine with decent tyres, but my neighbour has apparently dumped their van in a ditch somewhere. No injuries except pride.

It was thawing throughout today but is now re-freezing, with freezing fog and more snow flurries forecast till the end of the weekend.

The kids are in heaven - school holidays were due to start Friday but they have been given the rest of this week off too and they never got their holiday homework assignments before school was closed!

I've been through the photos, and very few merited a mention of snow in my opinion; I was quite disappointed, as I thought I was going to see SNOW! I saw a lot this morning on cars and lorries in town (30), which had come down from the Cevennes. I agree with others; the forecasts seemed pretty hopeless - orange alert for the region, lowered to yellow, schools closed, buses cancelled, restaurants without customers, yet so little snow arrived anywhere round here.

Norman,  we had a lot more than that in early March 2010 .. we had to cancel a meeting as people from Beziers couldn't make it ... and neither could we - more like a good 6-10 inches than the mere inch or so yesterday .. and in 2010 it lasted a lot longer too ...

[quote user="dave21478"]

Dave 21478 wrote (not that you would guess from the rubbish above):

but then the Mensa club members that run the snow ploughs did their usual trick of skimming off the upper 7cm and leaving a perfectly flat, very compacted sheet of snow which froze to ice overnight.

[/quote]

You are clearly privileged in your region Dave. Around 4 years ago just as I started working in Marseille, they had their first heavy snowfall in living memory.

They had to borrow the snow clearing equipment from other departements in the PACA region and their inexperience in using the equipment was shown as they tried to clear the A7 northwards towards Lyon. The gritter was sent up the road spreading salt carving its way through the deep snow - to be followed some 20 metres behind by the snowploughs which ploughed the snow away - together with all of the salt!

The first snow we encountered in the Gard a few years ago had two men from the council with shovels trying to clear it away. It was interesting watching women in high heels trying to get along pavements by walking while holding on to shop and house fronts, and other, older people who wore socks over their footwear to stop them slipping. I put my walking boots on and walked briskly into town to shop at those shops which stayed open when the snow began to come down more heavily.

Now the town owns some snowploughs, I understand.

No snow forcast for us yesterday and we had several heavy falls through the afternoon! The met offices both here and the U.K. have some of the biggest, fastest computer kit in the world. That's so that they can get it wrong quicker [geek]

One of the met guys on the beeb ws asked what the best way of getting it right was? He said that he could usually get the first 4 hours of the local weather right by llooking out of the window before he went into the studio for his forcast.

Hey, we've got some at last!

About 1 to 2 cm.  It's about the only time we've had any since the February of 2012.

The dog was younger then (so was I!) and we walked and played in it for hours every afternoon while it lasted.

This morning, she is snoring on the settee and, as you see, I am tapping away on the puter[:)]

LOL A weather station local to a friend in France called them and asked how much snow was expected that day. 'None' they said, this weather station a bit further up the mountain from my friend. She told them it was snowing like mad and maybe they should look out of the window.

Only once in France did we have amazingly accurate forecasts and that was when we had the 1992 Olympics in Albertville.

Gardengirl mentioned socks over shoes for people to feel safe walking on ice covered paths .

I have got a pair of the rubber pull over your shoes spike gripper things to prevent falls on ice and I can say they work .. For the price is worth getting them to stay safe ..I just keep mine in the boot of the car .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Stretch-Over-Shoe-Snow-Ice-Grips-Anti-Slip-Boot-Feet-Outdoor-Winter/181642129613?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29166%26meid%3D459a9a570e5446deb15906ac1433c3da%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271763786785