Strong and Stable, Ha, Ha, Ha

Grecian

Farron too, if you listened carefully.  Alas, he does not have the personality and charisma of a Macron and so he is doomed to failure.

I had an article all ready to post about how even the right-wing media have now admitted that Corbyn gets a hostile press and that he is not given a fair hearing.  But I didn't think anyone would be interested with so many saying how hopeless, useless, unlikeable Corbyn is.

I was disappointed with his performance during the Brexit campaigning but, like you say, richard51, he does say what he truly believes.

If May gets back in with an increased majority, then I can only say that we do get the politicians that we deserve!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish, andyh4.

What worries me about Corbyn is that he lives in an unreal world, uneducated, TT, veggie, generally detached from the real hard world where people work for a living. In fact he has a Savanarola complex (please check the Wiki site as this crup iPad won't make links or allow me to copier coller anymore.)

And given his penchant for being photographed with young, mainly female acolytes, I suggest he also has a Pied Piper complex.

Fit to be PM, never, better locked in one of those rather fine "Tell Your Future for a Penny" machines at the funfair, dressed as Abu Dhabi.

UK is in a sad place. I already left so I shan't be the last to leave and turn the lights out.

WB - not seen Maggie May out much in the real world.

Ian Paisley must be looking down on that little corner of the island of Ireland and laughing rather loudly.

I hope the troubles there don't re-ignite again because as sure as night follows day there will be provocations.

[quote user="andyh4"]It seems the Conservatives remain intent on nailing home the divisions in UK society.[/quote]

......and therein lies the rub.

If England had been able to cut adrift the remainder of the UK union by granting their requests for independence, and this had been achieved, this would have been the result of yesterday's election.

Cons------- 297

Lab---------226

Lib Dem------8

Green---------1

Conservative majority of 62 seats.

TM was a banker, Richard, for something like 15 years, which seems a little more use than working for unions and charity organisations.

ALBF, your use of the female dog work and another is not in keeping with the general code of behaviour of this forum, IMHO. I would suggest you edit the post to remove the offending words.

WB - depends what you mean by the real world. A quick look at her and Jeremy Corbyn wiki entries says that they both were actually fairly privileged, didn't particularly excel at early choices and careers and both entered politics following their parents belief sets.

I really, though, was referring to her lack of engagement with people during the campaign - preferring to be with her conservative chums.

Richard, I do think she has a personality problem which is not conducive to good campaigning on the streets. Given her background there is some understanding, perhaps. That does not make her a good PM either.

I remain deeply sceptical of JC's posturing as it it unrealistic, unrelated to the real world; see my reference to Savanarola.

TM was a banker, Richard, for something like 15 years...

What a fine upstanding job she used to do then, hope she wasn't instrumental in selling any dodgy mortgage deals that helped to precipitate the financial crisis in 2008. Still WoolyB so long as she is an alcoholic and eats meat then I guess she gets your vote.[geek]

I commend Lindal1000 on the 26th May post above:

"The difficulty for TM is what happens if she wins but with less of a majority than she has now? She called the election because she said she needed a strong mandate during the brexit negotiations. If she doesn't get that mandate then her position is untenable isn't it? The worst of all outcomes really. The opposition cannot form a government but neither can she."

Alan, - yes its funny.

Unfortunately, though, Maggie May idiocy cant be laughed off and it is getting like the scenario in the video.

Wb - no its not silly. A certain person I know has worked in high positions in the financial sector for years, Being a banker is not particularly awe-inspiring and does, unfortunately, attract the money oriented prats. Not the description of the certain person though.

Its a bit like engineering - it covers from changing the lightbulb in the local factory to designing the next generation of energy efficient light bulb! All levels are necessary but the "qualities" of the persons differs at the the different levels. IMHO the engineer is much more useful in some instances than the banker.

I will qualify that by saying that a good financial person is as necessary as any engineer.

Andyh4 wrote

It seems the Conservatives remain intent on nailing home the divisions in UK society.

Woolly replied:

Rubbish, andyh4.

What worries me about Corbyn is that he lives in an unreal world, uneducated, TT, veggie, generally detached from the real hard world where people work for a living. In fact he has a Savanarola complex (please check the Wiki site as this crup iPad won't make links or allow me to copier coller anymore.)

And given his penchant for being photographed with young, mainly female acolytes, I suggest he also has a Pied Piper complex.

Fit to be PM, never, better locked in one of those rather fine "Tell Your Future for a Penny" machines at the funfair, dressed as Abu Dhabi.

UK is in a sad place. I already left so I shan't be the last to leave and turn the lights out.

Well that was a good objective criticism of my post. Not one comment on the divisions in society and every thing about what a pile of what's it JC is. If it is any joy I also have reservations about him and some policies, but you have to admit that he has garnered support where the Tory press had tried to destroy him at a personal level. Attack the policy not the messenger was always my mantra - you seem intent on the former.

As for splitting society - well two party politics have always tended to do that. Your cantankerous rantings clearly put you in one of the camps.

Where this leads is that within parties there also tends to be strong division - wet vs dry, new Labour vs traditional (aka old) etc..

The Tories being constantly riven by their Eurosceptic vs Europhile wings have suffered decades of division. They extend this by a once and for all, sort it all out referendum which to put it mildly goes t1ts up as far as the leadership is concerned.

May (or Maybe not) steps in and calls for calm. Now is the time for the country to reunite and make the very best of Brexit.

She then decides (without explanation) to go for the most extreme forms of Brexit possible - total walk out or if that does not work no deal. So alienating the 48% who did not want Brexit to start with as well as a portion of those who did support Brexit but did not expect this to mean the extremes now being presented.

She then 9without plausible explanation) calls an election and bases it on those divisions about Brexit - and proceeds to say sweet FA about what she actually proposes to do. This surely does nothing but intensify those Brexit divisions in society which many had started to become reconciled to and had started to work towards a common goal.

In an attempt (I suspect) to assuage those who have been disadvantaged by 7 years of austerity she starts to attack pensioners with (not just in the manifesto) potential removal of TV licence rights, potential (in fact for most probable) loss of WFA, loss of your house (less 100k) if you succumb to a long term illness requiring community care, but not if you require long term medical. This splitting the elderly infirm.

She demands students pay for their advanced education, but allows fat cat companies to reduce their tax liabilities.

Can you imagine the stress of John Smith who at university falls in love with student Mary Jones. They both become teachers (or any other government funded service except the Civil Service itself) and work in very stressful conditions where the funding in real terms falls year on year and they are expected to more and more with less and less. They marry with the hope of buying a house, but they have a joint £85k+ debt round their necks. What does their credit rating look like when applying for a mortgage??

And yes I know that 75% or more of loans will not be paid off and will be written off. And that exposes the whole nonsense. Those who can and do pay off their loans do so because they earn enough to do so. Those that don't and cannot pay them off do not earn as much. So logically the better paid could pay more I tax and the lower earners would not have the higher rates of tax imposed.

I did receive the benefits of free university education. I bettered myself and as a result received more pay - and critically paid more tax. I hope that repaid the benefits I had received earlier in life. If not then more fool our government(s) for not taxing me a little more.

I did not have a millstone of getting on for 100k debt round my neck - albeit that (in money of the day) that is what I owed and had to repay over time - probably and more so.

Scottish Conservatives played the independence card mush more strongly than the SNP - a tactic that clearly worked, but who was being divisive?

I can however agree with your last paragraph. The UK has indeed become a sad place and TM has to take her share of the blame.

I too do not intend to be there to turn off the lights.

The UK has been divided for years - north/south, the 'have's'/'have not's', leave/remain and after the election left/right.

Corbyn and Labour produced a manifesto that appealed to so many different sections of society and used social media so effectively to attract young voters in their droves which was the difference in many constituencies. In contrast the Tories offered absolutely nothing in their shambles of a manifesto and the longer the campaign went on TM became a hated figure which galvanised the Labour support even more.I firmly believe that if Labour had had a less polarising leader then they would have had a landslide victory.

Yesterday felt like the day after the referendum result, a definite WTF happens now day and I have no faith in the so called 'informal arrangement'. Very strange times, I'm glad I live in my rural French bubble.