Name that Dog

Hoddy

This question is prompted by post on the Pets section, in which a two year old dog named Jacques is seeking a new home.

In the area of SW Dordogne that I know well it is the custom to give all dogs born in a particular year a name which begins with the same letter, in much the same way as the recently finished car system in England.

The oldest dog I know is Frisette and the youngest Vodka. This struck me as a very good way of keeping track of a dog's age before they all had to have so much paperwork. Is this custom widespread in France or just confined to our small area ?

Hoddy

Outcast, I recognise that this is not a matter of great importance.I thought , however, that it was one of those little idiosyncracies of French life that people on this board might be interested in even if they have no pets themselves. That is the reason it is in the Postbag and not in the Pets section.

Hoddy

We named the central heating boiler Trevor (we had a champagne reception with M. le Plombier) but the following March, when we bought the hens, we decided to name them after the Saints for that particular week as we couldn't think of many female names beginning with U.

Has anyone else given their boiler a name?

regards.......helen (just in case you are wondering, Wednesday is alcohol free night at chez nous........really.)

Hoddy, For many years we had some French friends with a dog we thought was named 'idiot' (well its true it wasn't very bright...)turned out it was called Elliot, our friends were surprised at our mistake as its year of birth the designated letter was E. (as if we knew that )

Yes Helen, my boiler does have a name, but only when it goes wrong and its not very polite

This year must be "W". (Hoddy, it seems you were quicker than me!)

Last year was "V"  Some friends of ours have dogs, Vodka and Vladimir, both animals born in 2004.

Is this "Letter" idea just a French habit or does it happen in other countries?

Gill

Look, would you all just slow down. Its all gone pear-shaped for me since Helen 16's posting, and I'm in desperate trouble trying to follow the drift of all this.  When Helen mentioned naming her 'boiler', did she in fact, mean naming her 'broiler'? Perhaps I should have taken notice of Outcast's cautionary message and read no further. whistling:

Last year was V, this year is A.

2003 was U, 2002 was T, 2001 was S.

The scheme is mandatory for all pedigree animals, not just pets but cows and the whole of the farmyard. I like the system; some people hate it so have both an official name and a pet name for their animals.

There's probably a list of suggested names on the net somewhere, they are certainly available from vets.

When the horse racing line up's were on TV, it used to look strange to me that in some races their names would all start with the same letter.

Ofcourse I then learned about this letter thing. We didn't use it for our dog and as we didn't, got a few disapproving comments, and as she is a  b â t a r d  anyway, I didn't think it mattered.

I've got 8 black labrador puppies born on 23rd December so have to name them all beginning with V, before I take them to the vet to get vaccinated, chipped etc.

So far i've only come up with Vixen and Violet for 2 of the four females and Victor for one of the 4 males.

So please help me out here - any suggestions???

http://www.e-prenoms.com/

Click on V and there is quite a list. There is Vera too. Go through the dictionnary, the names of things are fine too. Vague for example, Valour in english or Valliance in french. Vaux, could be said in english or french. Ventôse. The list is rich and endless. All you'll have to do is check that a word has not got some sort of louche meaning too, that would be embarassing.

I know of some breeders of LOF dogs that got around the "V" thing by naming their dogs with names starting with  double V ie "W". Like VVhiskey of blah blah or VVind in the willows of blah blah.  I have lots of dogs in my agility class born in the "u" year - very odd this - "Upi", "Usky", "Uoup".  No wonder I get odd looks when I call "C o c o" - they must think she's ancient!

http://www.chien.com/index2.html

Other countries have similar systems but are not synchronised; in Belgium 2005 is E, in Canada P.

In France K, Q, W, X, Y, et Z are never used.

The site gives a link to 13000 names beginning with V. I think that monosyllables are easier for dogs.

Me thinks a name beginning with W would suit outcast.

What about the 24 puppies delivered by a bull mastiff ,,, The two year old Neopolitan Mastiff is recovering after beating the record litter by one group.  Four pup's have since died. But the remainaining 20 strong brood, 14 dogs and 6 bitches are now seven weeks old. They are worth around £1000 each!!! The owners are paying £80 a week in food!

Puppy love at it's best...

Terry

We called our youngest dog Uddie, the same name chosen by a farmer behind us for his new dog. Not many names begin with U. So there's some puzzlement sometimes for these two when they hear their name called from far away.Pat.

Joh,please do put to the forum why you think outcast would be "w",or if you like tell me where you are in france(that is if you are in france)and I will meet you so you can me me face to face what you really mean,mines a pint of red.