Bras

opas

No not a spelling mistake of brass but bras.

Been to the sales (again) ,I am looking for training bras for 11 year old daughter,every shop I have been in (and believe me I feel as though I have visited every possibe one in Perpignan) have only got huge sizes(over 34b uk 90 something) with wires or heaps of padding. If i put my daughter in one of these she would look like Hilda Baker if I don`t well(lets not go there!) Do the french suddenly sprout 34b boobs and buy their daughters a matching G string?( the smallest sports bra we saw had a matching G string , ....luckily we have a sense of humour ,but the assistant didn`t!!)

[quote]OK I'll ask what is a training bra?[/quote]

To train the not yet really formed relevant bits of the body to get used to being squished for the rest of their lives.

There is a school of thought that thinks the reason for the increase in many problems with that area of the female body is the new (well relatively) habit of wearing a bra. I suffered from multiple very painful cysts for years and years when I read that they could be caused by wearing a bra. I stopped and guess what, the ruddy things have almost all gone and those that remain are pain free.

So I have joined the feminists and only wear one when I fear I might frighten the horses if I don't.

It is a long time ago but my daughters wore those cropped topped thingies.  By the time they were eleven they needed proper bras.  Like I did at their age!

Now I am like Di and just don't bother.  If I am going somewhere I just roll 'em up and stuff 'em in but apart from that , no!

Training bras. Oh dear!

From my male perspective this seems like another variation on the number one weapon of the female fashion business: make women feel bad about their bodies then provide an expensive solution. This variation is ... get them when they are young and have nothing to worry about.

I once (on TF1 news) saw an item about American holiday makers in Florida. The interviewer asked why little girls (2 or 3 years old) were (apparently) universally wearing bikini tops on the beach. One formidable matron replied: "Because it's the American way."

Yes clarkkent it is an expensive fashion Item, that was the point of my post as well. those crop top things are ok to a degree ,but then something a bit easier to put on is required ie not getting in a twist over your head and shouting mum to untwist it! but all I have seen is those or full monty padded bras with underwires and matching strings , will have a look at the link given by Claire Elisabeth.

Have you seen those rubbery things that you attach somehow that look like chicken fillets?They keep advertising them on TV and I laugh everytime. I have the opposite problem in finding ones that don't give me four ti**ies and I'm not particularly large, just oddly shaped I think. I caught my husband when we were last in C&A in Brest looking at underwear, playing with a blow-up bra and laughing his socks off at such a thing.

Why would anyone smaller than 34B want to wear a bra? (Except for purely decorative purposes, in which case wires, padding and the like are harmless, no?!)

Puzzled Pucette

Didn't I read somewhere that NOT wearing good support, until the muscles firm up, causes sag?

Or is that just a rumour started by Playtex?

Alcazar, (who also looked at this topic as he thought it was "brass")

PS: when I was a lad , we thought a training bra was one we could practise undoing one handed.................and a few of them were

[quote]Didn't I read somewhere that NOT wearing good support, until the muscles firm up, causes sag? Or is that just a rumour started by Playtex? Alcazar, (who also looked at this topic as he thought it wa...[/quote]

But there are no muscles in breast tissue. Breasts are mainly fat and their (wonderful) shape is maintained by skin elasticity. The underlying muscles can help improve posture. My best guess - as an enthusiastic amateur - is that as long as there is not too much mass, they will not need support until the skin loses its elasticity. Of course, there are other factors such as comfort and control during activity which may be just as important.

But "training" ... an interesting concept. It implies that you are teaching them to do something! Apart from making young men's brains stop working, that is ...

Actually the school of thought is that not wearing a bra actually helps the breast to keep its shape. The things that make breasts sag are having children, gaining then losing weight (like any other part of the body) and of course gravity.

Nature is nature and unless we are all going to go down the route taken by those strange creatures that appear 'cloned' or refinished to look nothing like a real human being we should age gently and in tune with nature. Smoking of course causes all bits of the body to age faster - very strange phenomena and I am really amazed that so many women smoke to keep slim, slim they may be but it almost looks like their skin is too big for them.

As for clones, having recently seen the Dutchess of York on the TV, she seems to have joined the brigade, another is 'Hot Lips' from Mash. I saw her recently and she is looking younger than when she appeared in MASH, as for Debby Harry - John's heart is quite broken. The real problem is that they no longer look 'real'. I wonder if all those films about pods that produced almost duplicate human beings and then removed the originals is actually coming true .

or Soutien Gorge is that near Cheddar gorge? I think we have discussed the ups and downs of my eldests underwear, shall we now turn to my youngests(7) amusement of  `le string`, every where we go she will hold up an item that makes her laugh, it could have tassles on it or be see through and shout to her dad in amusement.......much to the glee of other shoppers!

The following can be found at http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/miftitslingbrassir.shtml

"Brassiere" is first recorded in a Canadian advertisement of 1911, and in the U.S. Index of Patents for the year 1910 (published in 1911). Dictionaries derive it from obsolete (17th century) French _brassiere_ = "bodice", from Old French _braciere_ = "arm protector", from _bras_ = "arm". (The French word for bra is _soutien-gorge_, literally "support-throat".)

In the southern U.S., a bra is sometimes called a "tit-sling". This has an obvious derivation.

Wallace Reyburn, to whom Thomas Crapper owes his current fame, wrote a later book describing a lawsuit over rights to the bra, fought from 1934 to 1938 in New York, between a German-born designer, Otto Titzling (1884-1942), and a French-born designer, Philippe de Brassiere. Martin Gardner, in _Time Travel and Other Mathematical Bewilderments_ (Freeman, 1988, ISBN 0-7107-1925-8), p. 137, says: "The book by Wallace Reyburn _Flushed with Pride: The Story of Thomas Crapper_ does exist. For many years I assumed that Reyburn's book was the funniest plumbing hoax since H. L. Mencken wrote his fake history of the bathtub. [...] Reyburn wrote a later book titled _Bust-up: The Uplifting Tale of Otto Titzling and the Development of the Bra_. It turns out, though, that both Thomas Crapper and Otto Titzling were real people, and neither of Reyburn's books is entirely a hoax."

On its AOL message board, Merriam-Webster Editorial Department wrote: "dull though it may be, all the available etymological evidence indicates that the word derives from the French 'brassiere' [...]; there are many examples of the use of 'brassiere' in the women's apparel sense throughout the 19th century -- in French. [...] Given the word's history and that country's language heritage, it is not surprising that the first occurrence of the "brassiere" in English comes from Canada. [...] We can find no verifiable evidence that anyone named either 'Titzling' or 'Brassiere' had anything to do with the origin of the term."

You live and learn.

There's a small village called Bras near us.The kids always titter when they see the roadsign and they also know we're nearly home.The village is also next to Chez Moron (i'm not making this up) but this doesn't get the same response.Totally irrelevant posting but it's better than doing the VAT return.

timc17