Strictly French only!

This is quite apt as I am doing a beginners French course and the tutor who is French but speaks perfect English only mails me in French - so I have stopped communicating with her. Those of you who can speak French will take this over and go great guns, those of us who are learning and need support unless very brazen will just avoid the thread. I can read some French just have problems writing it - I have always had a block with languages.

Yes, you learn by doing, in a secure environment, but not in the public gaze of the whole Internet as posts on this Forum quickly end up indexed on the Internet.

My written French used to be good.  Now that I live here, my spoken French has overtaken the written somewhat and I've forgotten all but the basics of my grammar.  Mainly because I have learnt not to worry about word endings and the like, just to make myself understood.  That means  my spoken French is considerably "Better" than my written.  "Donc" I am rather embarrassed about my ability to write French these days.  Agreements etc.  However, I am prepared to make a fool of myself, and hopefully improve in the process if others are too - without anyone getting on their high horses about being better than others etc.

What do you think?

I'd find it really hard to join in. I can't spend too long at the computer anyway. I just wouldn't be able to join in fast enough. Also I get frustrated verbally, not being able to make myself understood half the time.

I really like it when people sling the odd word or phrase of French in though, especially things I don't know.  I'm not saying I wouldn't look in if a new section was added, just that it's unlikely I would join in.

tresco

[quote]Qu'est-ce qui est plus puissant que Dieu? Qu-est-ce qui est plus méchant que le Diable? Les pauvres l'ont. Les riches en ont besoin. Si tu le manges, tu meurs! Fastoche, hein? (fa...[/quote]

L'argent?

La réponse est RIEN -
RIEN est plus puissant que Dieu.
RIEN est plus méchant que le diable.
Le pauvre a RIEN.
Le riche a besoin de RIEN.
Si vous mangez RIEN vous mourrez.

John not Jackie who cheats unlike 70% of primary school chidren who knew the answer! Voir http://www.naute.com/enigmes/enigme4.phtml

Monica - j'essaierai. Mais mon ordinateur n'a pas des accents acute, grave etc.  SB - j'aime votre casse-tete mais je ne savais pas la reponse. S'il vous plait, tout le monde peut corriger mes erreurs. Pat.

I wondered if it would be a good idea to have a new slot (forum) in which discussions would have to be "strictly French only" but it would not matter how bad or how good you are. What do you think?

I think rather than creating a new forum section, you could use seperate threads within the language forum for this.

[quote]I wondered if it would be a good idea to have a new slot (forum) in which discussions would have to be "strictly French only" but it would not matter how bad or how good you are. What do you think? ...[/quote]

ça c'est une bonne idée. Pat: Pour les accents press:

Alt + 147 = ô

Alt + 130 = é

Alt + 138 = è

Alt + 135 = ç

La même chose ici: S'il vous plait correcter mois aussi.

Monika

The words "Strictly French" worry me.... how about saying the threads have to have been written "with the intention of them being in French" (that will allow me to contribute using "phrases that I think are in correct french" )

That worried me too about the suggestion John, because if the explanation, or discussion was in French I would struggle, a lot.

I was thinking maybe in the language section, (as admin suggest) people could post about something new they have learnt that day, a word in context, and expression etc, then of course others would contribute their understanding and offer other examples. I have learnt a fair smattering of Swedish words and phrases in this way, on a blog, because it's easy-just a word, or a phrase at atime, then a conversation about it which can digress at its leisure.

tresco

[quote]La réponse est RIEN - RIEN est plus puissant que Dieu. RIEN est plus méchant que le diable. Le pauvre a RIEN. Le riche a besoin de RIEN. Si vous mangez RIEN vous mourrez. ...[/quote]

Ah c'est vrai, mais est ce c'est une devinette,? je croyais que 'cassetete' est un 'jigsaw puzzle'.

I can't do this in French, but there are supposed to be keyboard shortcuts for accents, I can't find them.  If I'm writing a letter in Word, I just go to symbols and insert them the first time, then copy and paste wherever I need them.

Llantony

[quote]Ah c'est vrai, mais est ce c'est une devinette,? je croyais que 'cassetete' est un 'jigsaw puzzle'. I can't do this in French, but there are supposed to be keyboard shortcuts for accents, I can't fin...[/quote]

Pardon folks, Je viens de trouver quelqu'un d'autre a posted celui ci.

(Franglais topic?)  Then when we don't know a word/phrase, someone could put us right and we'd learn something!

Llantony - c'etait moi qui a dit casse -tete. J'ai cherche au dictionnaire  pour "puzzle" et c'est ce que j'ai trouve. J'aime le mot, comme crackhead. 'orreur! beaucoup des erreurs.  Et merci pour les accents Monika mais j'ai oublie les enregistrer. Pat.

[quote]Llantony - c'etait moi qui a dit casse -tete. J'ai cherche au dictionnaire pour "puzzle" et c'est ce que j'ai trouve. J'aime le mot, comme crackhead. 'orreur! beaucoup des erreurs. Et merci pour les...[/quote]

J'ai cherche 'riddle' et j'ai trouve 'devinette'.

Pour moi, les accents ne marche pas!  Je croyais que c'etait quelque chose plus simple - e.g. alt + bracket or something!  (One of my work colleagues showed me but I forget.)

Pourquoi pas avoir 'strictly French' + franglais if absolutely stumped?  The ordinary threads have lots of French words and phrases sprinkled around already!

Maz

I'd be quite happy to participate in discussions in French, but as long as people are prepared to imagine the accents. As a touch typist, I'd find it very tedious to have to faff about to put the accents in. As it is, I do type a lot in French, to my French friends and they just have to accept that there are no accents unless I can be bothered to add them by pen.

Normalement c'est possible de comprendre, COMME SI ON ECRIT EN LETTRES MAJUSCULES IL N'Y A PAS D'ACCENT, SOUVENT, SUR LES AFFICHES, ETC.

Those of you who are shy about writing in French, I must say, I think it is a great way to improve your French as it is like talking but gives you time to get things in the right order. I've been writing to friends in French for over 30 years. It really helps you to think in French.

Je pense vraiment que c'est une bonne idee.  Qui ont souci si on ne peut pas ecrire exactement correcte?  Je sais qu'il y a beacoup des erreurs dans cette petite essaie mais j'essais a essayer!!  Je ne rigole pas!

J'ai toujours plus de practice (?) a ecrire mais je prefere plus opportunite (encore un faux ami ou pas?) a parler francais.  Dommage que ce n'est pas possible actuellement.

Valerie

What might really help would be to have a few French posters who wish to improve their English. That way les anglais peuvent écrire en français et les français en anglais! Il y a plusieurs sites internet pour les français qui habitent en Angleterre, donc, peut-être on pourrait organiser quelque chose avec eux??