NIMBYs

'.....it seems to me) the assumption that NIMBYs don't exist in France.

My question is, why would anyone think they DON'T exist in France?  ....    Sensible replies only, please.' 

LOL Saligobay, I stand up as not only having neighbours who are NIMBYs, but being one myself. I don't want high tension pylons, and I am thankful the new Zone Industriale is 3k away, near a house we viewed that would have directly overlooked it, and the new roads leading to it.

However, M. 'self build Bricoman' who is taking forever to build his horrible ugly house and seems to be storing junk for all his maties on his acre is enough for me and all my native NIMBY neighbs. We are never short of conversation.

Still, I bear in mind that All Things Will Pass.

The printed word NIMBY recently came up at one of our council meetings and I had to explain exactly what it meant. Regardless to say everyone understood very well, so this phrase does exist and exist strongly in France where Nimby-ism is alive and well.

Oooohh, I just remembered.

Holiday home, Pas de Calais, northern France, about 17 years ago. All the locals were gagging for the TGV to come nearby while the tunnel was being built, really, they were, and soooo disappointed when it was given another route.

Not in my back yard.

The difference is in the U.K. sad old people with nothing better to do go around raising a petition. Here in France they blockade main roads, set fire to things, this may be because the French love to see the riot police in action.

Rdkr, I cannot think of much more frightening here than seeing the CRS in action, or as I think of them, thugs 'r' us. I hate it when my kids used to go on manifs in case these police to protect the state got involved. It worried me when I did my one and only manif in Paris.

[quote]Ermmm, maybe I,m being a little bit thick here, but what exactly are Nimby,s?? Janey[/quote]

A "Nimby" is a member of the Abutillon family. It has a large bell shaped flower in salmon pink with a blue fleck. I have Abutillons meself, they are lovely things, especialy the yellow flavoured ones. Flowers never argue or fight. I want to be a flower!

[quote]A "Nimby" is a member of the Abutillon family. It has a large bell shaped flower in salmon pink with a blue fleck. I have Abutillons meself, they are lovely things, especialy the yellow flavoured ones...[/quote]

I thought a NIMBY was a Not In My Back Yard.

So do you grow these flowers in your front garden!!!!??????!!!!

The term 'NIMBY' was invented by one Nicholas Ridley, a minister in Thatcher's government - for him, 'sad old people with nothing better to do than raise petitions' were standing in the way of progress and profit. However, it was a different story when someone wanted to extend their house on the edge of his 600 acre estate: a tiny corner would have been visible from his mansion, so he came down on the prospective extenders like an avenging force. Not in HIS backyard, of course!

We are all concerned to protect our own environment and living standards, and it's a great pity that this wretched term NIMBY has come into use and is wholly pejorative (rather in the way 'liberal' is in America)since, if we don't look after our own backyards, who will? Who is the better person - the developer who just wants to throw up five high rise blocks and then laugh all the way to the bank, or the 'sad old people' who fight to retain some sense of civilized life?

I do so love a naice nimby. They's so insecure n flabby round the edges. Send 'em to the third world to make their living ah say or,make them vote BBBBBBlair with their weak bottom lip (lip ah said)

Almost on cue, here's one reason why NIMBYs are absolutely right to spray "Non à l'incinérateur" and the like in big letters on the roads:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1485615,00.html

Go go go Hélène Lastera, expose that crooked government! 

Eskenazi is absolutely right, "NIMBY" is pejorative in English.  They certainly do exist in France, but they're just viewed as people fighting for their own patch, like all the other millions who regularly manifest and strike.