Goodies on retirement

You will be entitled to use your age as an excuse for pushing in at the supermarket, not have the right money ready in the bus and forgetting to buy your round. "J'ai soixante ans que vous connaissez!" That should be enough surely?

If you plan to do a lot of rail journeys, it's worth getting a "carte senior" from your local railway station. It costs around 50 euro a year, but entitles you to 50 per cent off off-peak train travel.

One cinema I know in the Vendee gives over-60s a discount at the cinema for the Tuesday 5.30pm performance.

I think state-owned museums give discounted admission for over-60s. 
This practice is not nearly as prevalent in France as it is in the UK though. I think French pensioners are considered privileged, rather than looked on as poverty-stricken objects of pity as they are in UK. (Sorry, rather a lot of alliteration in that sentence...)

Angela

You now get to talk about the 'good old days' 'the war' ' 'you youngster don't know how easy you have got it'

You can now also fall asleep mid conversation.

What do you want?

I'm counting the day until I'm 60. Only 9500 to go! Than I will become Victor Meldrew on Acid.

You can also nod off in the afternoon, and wake up with a stream of dribble down your shirt; get up at six o'clock for no obvious reason; go to bed at nine ditto; and spend several hours a day looking for your glasses, which are actually perched on your forehead. Have fun!

Patrick

You also need never ever worry again if your clothes match, you can get all those comfy things out of the wardrobe you knew one day you could wear again (stretchy, baggy things).  You will put the milk in the dishwasher and you will go upstairs and then forget why you did so............zzzzzzzzzzzzz

weedon

I thought 60 was the new 40 and I don't know any 40 or 60 year olds who dribble or put their milk in the dishwasher or remember anything about the War, which is perfectly understandable because they weren't born then.  Most of the 60 year olds I know are comfortably retired in France on good pensions and having a marvellous time.  They're in good health, have loads of interests and certainly don't think of themselves as old.  Quite the contrary!

Blimey, all the signs are that I am 60 already and I have a LONG way to go yet.

If I get there[:D][:D][:D]

I shall probably stay at 29 and some months for a good few years yet.  At least until my grandchildren arrive at 29  too!

Up at six or before, bed at nine, yes, yes, forgetfull, that too...

Nothing wrong with an elasticated waistband either[:P]

[quote user="Colette"]I thought 60 was the new 40 and I don't know any 40 or 60 year olds who dribble or put their milk in the dishwasher or remember anything about the War, which is perfectly understandable because they weren't born then.  Most of the 60 year olds I know are comfortably retired in France on good pensions and having a marvellous time.  They're in good health, have loads of interests and certainly don't think of themselves as old.  Quite the contrary![/quote]

Well about 50% of the UK retirees out here that I know fall into that bracket - the others like us 'did' have pensions till the like of Equitable 'did their thing'.

I have 363 days to go before I get my pittance from the UK gov. We have designed our barn so that we can keep warm for the minimum of cost in the winter and use the large space in the summer. Hearing the costs that some pay for the pleasure of just keeping 'warm' was enough of a warning. There are a lot of folks coming up to retirement here in France who have no 'pot' for emergencies and are sure 'something will come along'. Well it might, but I personally would not count on it.

I work now and am having a marvellous time - my aim is never to be bored and am planning what I intend to do when I get to 60 - I fancy a change, not of country just of work. The 'good health' bit does not cover us but we certainly intend to have a great time - and the amount of painkillers I take each day should in my case almost guarantee it (prescribed I might add).

What ever your age and ability - live today as if it is your last and always tell the ones you love that you love them everytime you see them (or in the case of your partner - every day)  - nothing is worse than regrets. And remember the words of C, S, N & Y - if you cannot be with the one you love then love the one you are with.

Off to dribble some tea - too many painkillers for wine [:(]

Well, if I'm not off to do VSO then for a couple of years which I plan to do if I haven't forgotten by then, I'll be able to join the University of the 3rd age here in our commune and also entitled to a free lunch at Christmas. Ask at your Mairie what's put on for over 60s in your village.

I may wear purple more often.

I'm close behind on the age front. Still in the UK but planning on moving once we have our house build sorted. I'll probably be moving shortly before my 60th birthday and one thing puzzles me. I know I'll only be able to draw my UK pension at 65, but at 60 I'm old enough to retire in France. Does that have any effect on paying cotisations and the like? (I've been lurking in the earning a living forum, but this thread made me ask here)

I had assumed that I'd need to set aside anything up to50% of any earnings to cover cotisations, tax .... Does this change at 60?

If you work after retirement age in France you still pay cotisations. Looking through the paper work from the caisse de viellesse that I have to pay into, the rates are slightly different for those over pensionable age, or more to be more precise the rates seem to kick in at different points, depending on whether you draw a pension or not. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to the actual amount due. It will almost certainly differ considerably according to which caisses you have to deal with for retirement, health provision etc. and whether you are salaried, self-employed, or profession liberale.

Thanks (I think!) I thought it might be too good to be true.

I'm not sure yet where I stand for things like that yet. Still got a lot of research to do

I'm likely to look for work as a freelance IT consultant to start with, but I don't know enough about the market to be sure of my chances. If that doesn't work out I've got a few other strings to the bow.

My husband got a food parcel at Christmas.   He received a note asking him to go the Mairie to collect it and really didn't want to - I had to drag him there.   But he was pleased when we arrived to find all his mates handing out the goodies, and he got a complete Christmas meal - local deer terrine, a large guineafowl, a tin of peas, cheese, a buche de Noel, biscuits, chocolates and two bottles of wine.   Plus he gets a free lunch at the ducasse (village fete) every year.   It's not a lot but enough to make you feel that people care.   There's also a club du 3ieme age in the village that meets every month but he has never been to it. 

I've twice got caught up in outings of citoyens de la troisieme age, once on a trip round the golfe de Morbihan with 30 English schoolkids and once in a restaurant in Fougeres. In both cases the behaviour of the old people was utterly disgraceful. Many had clearly been drinking, and the comments made by some of the ladies about the adolescent boys made you grateful that they were slack in doing their conversation homework. The restaurant mob drank, ate and shouted a lot and completely took over the place, Two travelling salesmen had to go and eat outside. And as for the singing!

How old do I have to be to join?

Great days out !

I've got all the props, false beards (whoops !! sorry forgot Dick, you

have a real one, it's the new avatar !!) a couple of zimmer frames, I put a stone in one

shoe to help the limp et voila, troisième age at a

glance...Just let me know when you are here next and I'll send you the

songsheet to get you up to speed. You can practice swilling the aperos

et vin at home, before you arrive here [:)]