Tom Baker

Did anyone see Tom Baker on Richard & Judy this evening?

At the end of the interview Richard and Judy said'You live in France now, don't you? How lovely' To which Mr Baker replied 'Oh, not really, it's awfully boring, lots of British playing at being Richard Briers and Felicity Kendall in the Good Life, buying a Jack Russell and a horse and living on a hill, swapping back copies of the Daily Mail and moaning that they would kill for Marmite on toast and lusting after a branch of Marks and Spencers or Waitrose'

I wonder where he lives ?

Sounds like either the big P (Provence) or Dor'DOG'ne to me.

That said I have come across a good few people like that here in Aude. I myself rather like my home comforts and have no plans to go the 'good life' route.

The day I give up a good bottle of Margaux for a bottle of turnip wine is the day I vote NF.

But without wanting to dredge it all up again, what is wrong with missing Marmite? I see French kids on the train going to the Lycée Charles de Gaulle in London talking French to their French colleagues - what little creeps - don't they know they are supposed to assimilate totally? The French assistants at school cook French food and bring it in for their lunch - how dare they? (They also speak French to each other). Why do Britprats make this leap of sanctimonious logic that moving to another country means that you must cut off all links to your original culture?

In France you can't get the bacon, and in England you can't get the bread...

"I wonder where he lives ?"

Obviously right amongst 'em all, fighting for a page of the Daily Maul,  how else would he have such an insight !!

Dick, as you say you can get the bacon and I reckon the right bread to go with it in

the UK, a nice thick sliced cut loaf without the tough crust, bluddy

baguettes from too many dodgy boulangeries have not done me poor gums

much good over the years !

Who's this Richard & Judie? We only got French TV and radio and we never 'eard of 'em. A number of our English friends have asked us how we manage to get the native stuff 'cause they can't get it on their dishes. I don't know wot they're on about reallly? Good fun watching high quality French quiz shows too!?[*-)]

Mind you if they do have a place here in France they might be our neighbours, that would be exciting, I think [:$][*][:(].

John.

On  Local BBC Radio today Tom Baker said that his nearest big town was Toulouse.

It was wonderful being in surrounded by beautiful countryside but he missed meeting people and being able to chat every day. He thought he was lucky to be able to spend long spells in the UK, and at other times he commuted as often as twice a week.

He said it was probably a mistake moving to France, but it seemed to be a good idea at the time.

Its a pity he didn't keep the Tardis.

Back in the old days when Dr Who was Dr Who (and this depends on your age) he had a splendid rogue timelord nemesis called 'The Master' (complete with sinister goatee) whose tardis was a Grandfather clock. The actor who played him sadly died in a car accident in Turkey.

I think that Tom Baker (plus goatee) would make a splendid new version of the Master. Maybe his tardis could be one of those loos that cost 30 centimes. Nobody is surprised to see those appear or disapear.

IMHO, Tom Baker UTTERLY ruined Dr Who, with his stupid scarf, and camp performance.

But then, no matter what he's in, I've never seen him play anything except "Tom Baker". (Which probably means he'll be up for a knighthood or something, like all our other so-called "great" actors, most of who just play themselves: Judi Dench comes to mind immediately.)

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, is, don't take the man seriously, he's just got a huge ego.

Alcazar

[quote user="Dicksmith"]So far up his own a**e he even has a forum dedicated to discussing - him! And every thread started by Admin? http://www.tombaker.tv/forum/index.php?s=8e298effd0cd7f496f7f186485711eef&showforum=2 Now THAT'S pink and fluffy![/quote]

Dick, I see you are a big fan of his what with the forum, BBC news etc you obviously follow what he is up to [;)] .

Yeh, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stuart. I used to think Pertwee was the best too until I saw a coupe of excerpts of his stuff last year - way  too intense and completely lacking in humour. I now prefer Eccleston's cheeky chappy routine. Pity it was so shortlived.

Tom B's nearest big town Toulouse? Sounds tooooo close for comfort.

I thought his Richard and Judy observations were pretty much spot on - but could apply to anywhere with a so-called 'ex-pat community', not just his bit of France. I suppose that's why I tend to steer clear of the sort of people who use the term 'ex-pat'.

Anyway, the man who contributes those wonderful voice-overs to Little Britain can't be all bad. I liked him in Blackadder, as the sea captain, too.

[quote user="Russethouse"]The tabloids have it that Richard & Judy would rather like, or possibly already have, a place in France - I wonder what they thought ?[/quote]

I also read this and that they would in future be spending half the year on their Channel 4 tv show and the other half of the year at their home in the South of France. (commiserations to you all down there)

Pat

We agree entirely - we have Marmite - Heinz salad creme and allsorts in our larder!! But also foie gras, duck legs and local wine (at 4Euros for 5ltrs!!)

However - we have found you CAN get the bacon!! ...Ask your boucher to slice poitrine tres fine for you - and fry it without any fat (you get enough for dip out of the pan!and you don't get that scummy foam that lots of UK supermarket bacon gives you!!) - place on 2 slices of bread (out of our panasonic breadmaker and made with Hovis extra strong flour!!) - with Daddies Brown Sauce (from Intermarche)!!!

mmmm!!!

who says you have to go without!!!Stick out tongue [:P]

ps we tell the boucher the bacon's for aperos - to wrap round prunes!!

pps - we are also experimenting with making my own cumberland sausages!!..not bad so far and i use the same butcher for the sausage skins!!

[quote user="Chuck_Betty"]

However - we have found you CAN get the bacon!!

[/quote]

My local Super U sells bacon (called English Bacon” and in

pre-sealed packets.  Not tried it but it

looks pretty much like bacon in the UK (maybe less fat).

Ian