Grand National

Interesting way to select your punt, 3XK.

Years ago, I knew a family, who had a brother called Tich ('cos he was so tiny) who was a jockey.

One year when he was riding in the Derby, he told all the family not to back his gee, 'cos it was a dog.

One of his sister-in-law who was not very bright ignored him and had a fiver on the nose.

Strangely, after a bit of barging and falling, his mount galloped in first: at 33:1![:D]

If you want to be sure to win and you are not sure which nag to select, can you spare 40 quids? ...

Put 1 quid on each horse to win each way, you are bound to get a winner and your money back!... I am going down to the bookies now!...

At the office sweepstake, my 2 nags are 'Colnel Rayburn' and 'Shotgun Willy' both at 100-1 when I blindly pulled their names out of the hat and paid me quid each... Will it be laughter? or tears? on Monday morning!.....

Isn't that either £80 or 50p each way - or is that the reason I never win !

I fancied Innox (French trainer) but held off after a previous runner from the same stable performed in rather a mediocre way (L Ami), but now the world and its wife fancy Innox :(

Miki s the expert ! Bet he picks the winner !

The Lamb national was a very big event in Kildare every spring.

All the lads would bring their best and fastest lambs along after many days of training and hard work. It was worth all the hard work for the prize of 2 tons of Kerr Pinks though!

Kerr Pinks were me Mammy's favourite potato's and I was determined to win the prize back in 1968, I had secretly been training Borgini (me uncle Dan's lamb) during me dinner hour from school.

The day of the big race came and I went to collect Borgini that morning, but I was devastated to find that poor Borgini had been eaten the previous night by uncle Dan and aunty May. "why did you not tell me you were entering him in the race ya little scutter hawk" said uncle Dan, "we could have eat a hen last night instead"  It was all paramedic now, as it was too late to train another lamb in time for the race. 

The Logan's won that year and took the prized potato's home with them. Uncle Dan said "shur you have got time to train one of your guinea pigs for the 2000 Guineas aint ya"  Of course I had! and I won it in 1968 taking home home the lovely solid brass poker first prize to me delighted Mammy.

Well, I've got my parents here at the moment along with my sister and her family (11 of us all together), so we held a sweepstake at €1 per horse.  Guess what - I won!! €24 - the first time any horse I've picked has won - they usually fall. So I'm a happy bunny [:D]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="viva"]I just hope they all get round in one piece, the horses that is ...not too bothered about the jockeys as they don't get shot for having a broken leg [:P][/quote]

Yes, why does a horse get shot for having a broken leg?

[/quote]

..it saves money to the NHS?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I fancied Innox (French trainer) but held off after a previous runner from the same stable performed in rather a mediocre way (L Ami), but now the world and its wife fancy Innox :(

[/quote]

Shrewd move Gay, hardly worth saddling up for just the run to the 1st.

Why shoot them ? Horses cannot remain immobile while leg heals and they have never learned to use crutches. Interesting that the horse unseated rider then continued alone until he fell.

After Cheltenham and Aintree I am going to put my money on the Irsih winning Wimbledon.

John

not

SB,

This is what I was told, many years ago.

A horse has trouble living on just 3 legs, they need all of them to be

able to walk and even stand properly, the front pair especially are

needed intact. I was told it was all to do with the mechanics of

how horses stand and walk, that without use of all 4, they are pretty

much in trouble. There have been cases that I know about where a horse

would be useful for stud work, had an artificial cast or leg fitted but

and, I don't know how true it is, they have proved not too succesful

(the artificial limb not sure about the lucky ones at stud) over the years.

Apparently there many complications that can occur to a horse with a

broken leg and, although I am sure that ways to assist

and cure the horse have been deeply researched, not much has been found

in the way of a succesful curing period.  "Euthanasia" or shooting

(depends I guess on what

side one might view it all) the horse is still seen as the most humane

thing to do in most cases. I am also assured that studies in to how not

to kill the horse have long been done and thus far, I do not know of

anything that has been found, that will give the horse a comfortable

way through the long period of recuperation. I am no expert only the

messenger in this instance. I am sure someone with more equine

knowledge than I, will have a better explanation.

The high horse death toll in the Grand National is the reason I take no interest in it I'm afraid. The fences are too high and there are too many horses entered which have no chance of making it round the course and are a danger to themselves and others.

I watched a programme about a vet fixing a horse's leg the other day - they were hoping it wasn't broken so that they wouldn't have to put him down and luckily it wasn't/ But the interviewer asked why horses have to be put down for a broken leg and the vet explained that it's the same as with humans, they have to spend several weeks with the leg being non-weight bearing which means it has to be in a sort of body sling thing to take it's weight off the ground and that it's also difficult to make the horse stay in it. 

It then occurred to me that you sometimes hear of private owners having horses legs repaired but rarely professional race horses.  I wonder if this is something to do with the fact that often race horses are owned by several people or syndicates who are looking at it as an investment.  Therefore, all that treatment, followed by the fact that the horse is unlikely to win races afterwards, makes it all too expensive for those who are looking at it as a business investment.  Whereas a private owner who loves his horse (and has the money to do so) will be more than happy just to have a healthy, happy horse again.

BTW:  What has this thread got to do with France?  And it was started by a moderator [;-)]

I see.  Basically a design fault in horses then.

My doglet is managing very well on 3 legs while fourth one is completely plastered.

Maybe I should think of entering him for the Grand National next year?   As long as he's allowed to go under the fences, because he's only a little shortass.  I'll write off now for Papal dispensation.