Goodbye

Ha ha, fooled you!  [:D]

It's not a goodbye really, but a statement to say that....... well, in short, the forum is not the pleasure it used to be.

I'm sorry I got cross on the Pool thread, but my sources (who shall remain unnamed) tell me that it got even worse after that, perhaps even abusive and threatening, including the editing of posts to put me in a bad light.

Whatever.   I have no intentions of looking in there again, so any extra vitriol directed at me is wasted.

Someone said that these things are cyclical in forums.  That's true, but this particular cycle is turning into a geological era.   Discontent with moderators keeps simmering on, and with good reason.   Warnings get fired off to posters for nothing, and there's sniping going on everywhere you look.   There's nobody in charge, no "this is where the buck stops".    Too much pettiness, too many chips on shoulders, both with the moderators and between the users.

Et voilà quoi.  A mere TTFN, you might say.  And for anyone who's thinking "good riddance", well, what can I say?   Maybe it's a sign that you too need to get a life.  [;-)]

Ciao for now! 

I'm very interested in this bit SB:

including the editing of posts to put me in a bad light.

As you know its against the code of conduct to discuss the running of the site on the board, it should be done by contacting the mods or admin, however I want to make it absolutely crystal clear that posts were certainly not edited by the mods. Both Hoddy and I spent a significant amount of time deleting the odious posts that did appear and the replies etc (because they were then off topic) as soon as we saw them.

It is a long time since I have witnessed such a nasty attack especially from a newcomer, and for once I was happy that we could actually do something about it, delete the posts and ban the person concerned.

I would be really sorry if you were to stop posting, you are as you know, a very valued member of the LF forum.

Back to the rules I'm afraid, other comments regarding the running of the site should be addressed either to the moderators or direct to James at admin.(use the drop down menu here: http://www.livingfrance.com/lvfra/content/contactUs.asp)

Any room on the bus SB ?

I don't want to make a big fuss but you Mods were warned by me and

others, that you had gone too far. We have lost some of our best

members and you sit there and simply hope that people will say it is

not because of you but  folks like me, who won't sit on our hands

and take all the stupid unnecessary deletions but try our hardest to

get you Mods, to see that you went OTT and have ruined, yes, ruined

what was a good forum with many experienced habitants and intelligent

folks debating the essence of living in France.

Now I am not sure about others but I am now finding it a waste of time

to post too much, as one little dispute and the post or total thread

disappears.

That's not being a Forum, it is dictatorship by folks who are on some

kind of maniacal pursuit to rule the forum and not moderate it. One

look at that banning message to me, proved exactly how things were

going to be and so it has proved.

What will you do now Mods, delete this thread ? One thing for sure,

this post is not off topic, so look for some other half baked

excuse.......

As for the deletions you talk about Gay, I said it elsewhere, you

deleted willy nilly and some of us had written posts that could easily

have stayed or been edited and if that would have been too much, well

that's moderating is it not?

SB, perhaps you could take this with you, just for now, mind!

It's my new favourite, so I'd like it back at some point soon. [:D]

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/flashingbunny.jpg[/IMG]

You are the Brightest Bunny in the Burrow. Whats going to happen to my use of apostrophe's I just dont know.[;-)]

I made it clear in my previous post the correct way to comment about the forum. I wanted to clarify for everyone,what happened yesterday, which I did. That was very much an exception.

Now I think it reasonable to ask that you keep to the Code of Conduct and make your comments as described. If you disagreee with something in the Code of Conduct then please contact James (using the instructions in my previous post) who represents Archant, who after all own this site.

And your actions were appreciated. For any who didn't see what was going on it was a very unpleasant, and unwarranted, attack on SB.

Miki (and others) - I don't know whether you saw it or not, but you would have had absolutely no argument with what Gay and Hoddy did. Sorry if that goes against what you said, Gay, but I think it needed saying, and you weren't going to say it about yourself.

I'm sorry that happened SB.  You didn't deserve it.  I don't

think I saw many of the deleted posts, but I could imagine what was

there.  I was kind of amazed when it all started going downhill.

The subject matter is an important one, but it should have nothing to

do with attacking personal choices or  people in general.

I am still your big fan, so don't go too far.

I agree Dick, Gay did have to delete the terrible unwarranted attack on

SB and I think she did the right thing. My only complaint and she is

aware of it, was the total deletion of some posts that gave, what I

thought to be important information. If time was of the essence, those

kind of posts could have been saved and put back on surely.

Don't suppose it matters now though, with SB & TU gone in recent

weeks, I wonder just how many more may simply feel the same way and

leave for the same kind of reason?

I didn't see the offensive postings and am glad for that. But Saligo -

you can't go. This forum ( and another one ) would lose so much life if

you went. Who would start up all the new topics, make us smile etc?

Forgt it - it sounds like it was from an ignorant troll. Pat.

Perhaps vitriolic and sarcastic replies to postings should be e-mailed direct  so that the recipient can reply direct and save the rest of us from the drivel that follows.A.I. seems quite up-market at the moment!

Regards. B&B St.Malo

Believe me Gastines, I really wouldn't want what we deleted on Saturday, sent to anyone. My only regret is that those people participating in that thread,with the email notification box ticked, had the misfortune to see it.

Please, in future if anyone sees that sort of thing taking place, press the REPORT button, that is what its for! As it is, luckily one person did, even though they were not involved.

However I appreciate your point. In general, as James admin said last week, the forum is not the place for personal disagreements.

'Will' used to use a tag line which more or less said

'This is my experience, others may have found differently' and I think that attitude worked well.

Its the exception which proves the rule, but please, further comments about the forum should be made via the normal channels. (Mods or admin)

This forum - and I mean the users, not the mods - does seem markedly less tolerant of late. Less tolerant of the occasional misplaced apostrophe right up to intolerant of carefully expressed information and opinions. I'm not referring to energetically argued discussions - LF/CF has always had plenty of those - I'm more thinking of where someone may post an opinion that might not be popular or even well-thought through. Rather than argue the points back, there's an increased tendency at the moment to indulge in a quick sarcastic reply or personal comment which the poster may think makes them look smart but doesn't further the discussion and won't influence the thinking of the person you're responding to. And if you disagree with something, that is surely part of the reason for responding.

[quote user="Patf"]I didn't see the offensive postings and am glad for that. But Saligo - you can't go. This forum ( and another one ) would lose so much life if you went. Who would start up all the new topics, make us smile etc? Forgt it - it sounds like it was from an ignorant troll. Pat.
[/quote]

For those of you asking SB not to leave, I too love reading her posts and would hate to see her leave. But if you read the beginning of her original post she says she is only joking so I gather she is not going anywhere or at least I hope not. I didn't read the thread but having read some of her posts in the past, some of which are hilarious and most very direct (of which I love) I have a feeling some nut case troll in the pool section wouldn't scare her off [:)].

Has anyone seen SB posting since this?  I saw the troll postings yesterday on the rude and boring thread.  He changed his ID and a few times and told us the other ID's he had used.  The one was the guy giving SB the grief.

Anyway SB when you are ready.