the most important thing you will need when moving to Dordogne is...

...a seriously professional tin opener!

... i only invested 3.50 euros in a cheap one, and on monday i tried to open a tin of confit de canard. it didn't work  so the top part of the tin was still attached by a few bits.

stupidly i tried to force it with my thumb, but with the grease from the duck's fat i lost grip and did a huge cut...

result: 1hour operation in Perigueux hospital, where they decided it was too bad, so 2 hours ride in an ambulance to Bordeaux, one night in hospital and 1 hour operation in  a centrer specialized in microchirurgie and reconstruction of the hand!

i had one artery, 2 nerves and a tendine cut, hopefully all has been saved, but it hurts like hell!

...so my suggestion is to invest in a good tin opener, and use all of your brain when operating it...

massimo

That's your penance because your lot won the World Cup.

Seriously, sounds dodgy .............. and all for a tin of confit.  You'll be able to dine out on that scar for the rest of your ...... 

No, until Italy win the WC again !!

Ooowwwwa my toes curled when i read that poor you hope missus is giving you a bit of pammering. I did some thing simlar but not with a tin  make sure you keep moving it when it starts to heal or it will tighten up and you wont be able to move your hand properly, but im sure your doctor will tell you that. best of luck and stick to salads much more healthy. 

Sounds extremely painful Massimo.  How are you going to kneed the pizza dough now?

I can sympathise with you. I had a very nasty cut requiring a hospital trip to Perigueux on Boxing

day a couple of years ago from a tin of confit, but that was my fault

leaving an open tin of it in the fridge and then plunging in my hand

without looking to get something else out of the fridge. I've got a

nice inch long scar now [:'(]

Tip:  Turn the can of confit de canard over and open from the bottom.  I have never successfully opened it from the top, as was said - the lip is too high, but the bottom is easy.

Tracy is the official kneeder, and luckily my nephew from italy is here for 2 weeks, so he will do my work at the oven... tonight we have the group that we had to cancel on tuesday night... ...and the duck will be on pizza, it's really good.

and yes it is a lot of pain, and i'm not looking forward to the first visit of the nurse this afternoon... 

[quote user="Chauffour"] ...a seriously professional tin opener!

... i only invested 3.50 euros in a cheap one, and on monday i tried to open a tin of confit de canard. it didn't work  so the top part of the tin was still attached by a few bits.

stupidly i tried to force it with my thumb, but with the grease from the duck's fat i lost grip and did a huge cut...

result: 1hour operation in Perigueux hospital, where they decided it was too bad, so 2 hours ride in an ambulance to Bordeaux, one night in hospital and 1 hour operation in  a centrer specialized in microchirurgie and reconstruction of the hand!

i had one artery, 2 nerves and a tendine cut, hopefully all has been saved, but it hurts like hell!

...so my suggestion is to invest in a good tin opener, and use all of your brain when operating it...

massimo [/quote]

Massimo! I empathise!!

Next month but some 28 years ago I got married and after the hullabaloo of the wedding, my OH and I toured France camping in an old VW van. Not far from Bergerac, on our first night together I was going to show him my culinary expertise! and decided on 'corned beef hash' with French beans... Diligently I tried to open the tin of corned beef with that stupid little key given... and 1/2 way through the whole thing snaps!... I couldn't get the content out so went on to prize it open as best I could... to the point that the tin and the long finger of my right hand got welded together! ... THAT HURT!!!!

I was speechless and couldn't utter a word to tell my husband to do something!! I ran to the camping site office for first aid, leaving a trail of blood... was rushed off to the nearest hospital. The cut was about 5mm deep and cut through the nerve at the end of that finger. Had that stitched up, big bandage, given antibiotics and pain killers and a jab for tetanus.

To this day I can see the cut accross the end of my finger about 1cm long and have no feeling in this area. Occasionally I get like an electric shock feeling if  I knock that part of the finger on something hard. I have had to relearn speed typing without using this finger.   

Since I have invested in an good tin-opener : my husband opens the tins! or if he is not around to open them I do without!  and have not eaten corned beef since!!

Massimo ! My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Oh Massimo!!

I hope your hand improves, very quickly.  I cut through the nerves in my right hand, while doing the dishes, one night, when a glass slipped.  Went throught a similar sounding operation, to you & - oh!! the pain - especially when you forget about it & reach for something!!

I had cut through the nerves to my index finger - which has still very little feeling - after two years (although it comes in very handy for stirring coffee or sauces, with!!)  You'll probably be told, after the stitches have healed, to rub the scar - very hard.  Do it!!  It's not fun to do - but it keeps the nerves working & brings most of the feeling & sensation back.

We're moving over in less than two weeks - do you want me to bring you a new tin-opener?!! [:)]

Good luck & I wish you & your hand, well!! [:D]

Are you sure you didn't dive onto the the can Massimo to get some sympathy from the ref? Seriously, heal up well and I really need a recipe for a good pizza dough. I used to make one that I proved in an oiled pizza pan and knocked back before topping and cooking but can't remember it now.

Chris

..just got a new tin opener, 19.50€, from a local hardware shop, it's called SPEM and it works! it cuts the outer rim of the can so the lid does not drop into the can, and it leaves no sharp edges! i was even able to open a tin of confit with my injured hand!

..tomorrow night is duck pizza again, i can handle the oven with the 9 working fingers, and next tuesday i'm off to Bordeaux for the visit with the surgeon.

i'm even learning to eat my food balancing the fork between the second and third finger! [:D]