1 YEAR CONTRACT!

ace85driver

[quote user="Cassis"]Isn't Possumgirl American?  Maybe she has some suggestions for US essentials to ship over.

[/quote]

I am indeed.  Didn't have much time to go online yesterday, so I'm catching up late.

I know the underwear question made people laugh, but I have to admit that I just ordered some Jockey for Her from the States that a friend is shipping me. It seems weird, but when you have a brand of something that you really like, you can't always find something local that you're as happy with!

I also get my vitamins in the U.S., because our policies about such things are a lot more liberal than the ones in Europe and  you can find higher doses.  Probably some of the UK websites are just as good if you know where to look.

And, if there is a specific medication that you take, I would definitely research as to whether it is available here or not. While most things are, not everything is. I was taking something that although approved for sale in France, is not being manufactured or distributed here because the drug company doesn't feel it will make enough money to make it worthwhile.

PG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Sloggi fan too. Imagine my astonishment when I saw them in the window of one of those medical appliance shops. There I was wondering what some of the things in the window were for when my eye fell on what I thought of as perfectly ordinary Sloggis.

I wouldn't want to be seen going in there though !

Hoddy

[quote user="ace85driver"]

...wondering if there is are any items that are a bit more difficult to find or too expensive that I should consider bring with me from the States. Electronics, underwear, toiletries...        

[/quote]

Presumably not electronics - or indeed anything electric - as the supply in France is 220v while I believe that of the US is 110v.

Angela

There was a bit more to the sloggi knickers that I can remember [Www], not just a cheesewire!

Thongs , yuk ! and on straight men, double yuk!!

As Ricky Tomlinson once said ' these knickers cost me a quid and I've got about 50 pence worth stuck up me a r s e '  [:D]

That photo of the men is horrible ! where is their hair ? and look at the one on the left, pale,  smooth and yuk as Diva Star said.

I roo always had the impression that Sloggis were BIGGER, now put a man in a good pair of jockeys and whey hey[kiss]

Very funny.  Yes, the 5 blades are everywhere and so are snickers.  I do find mobile phones are more expensive here, in general, but do take a look at www.nrj.fr (I think that is the website).  They have a pack for 49 euros (phone and all necessary bits), then you buy your credit as you like.  THAT is cheap for here and if you go to the Satellite TV section of this forum, you will find lots of data on the best prices, service, etc. on mobiles and ISP's.  Just do a quick search.

Many things are more expensive in France than the U.S.  White goods come to mind.  However, getting them here means you get the two year guarantee that comes with them and the parts are easily found if you need them.

Yes, hubby needed new undies and said, perhaps I'll pick them up when I am in France - he works in the Mid East.  I said, are you crazy - you'll pay more than 6 or 8 euros per pair here.  They are cheap in the Mid. East.  Funny enough found a pack of 5 at Auchan for 5 euros (one euro each) also found socks for the same 5 euros for 5 pairs.  And, they actually wash and wear just fine.  Surprised even me !

There are many food items you can't find here (in Provence), but Paris is another story.  Even here in Provence, the selection is improving.  We can actually buy Cranberry juice here now and Skippy's peanut butter.

People are always asking me what I would like them to bring me from the States.  In the beginning, I used to ask for certain things - Cream of Tartar, pop-tarts for my spoiled daughter, canned pumpkin (as I am often too lazy to cook and drain the real thing), etc.  Now, I say - don't bother.  I've learned to love what is here and not miss what is not.

I do think it is a normal question to ask.  And, if I set my mind to it, I'd probably come up with a dozen or more things that are either much more expensive or very hard to find here, but I think you get the drift.

You should give Chris your phone number.  He could be really helpful and is very genuine.

Hi Ace,

When we lived in Paris we found the monthly magazine FUSAC (France USA Contacts) to be very useful for all sorts of anglophone things. It is a monthly magazine full of classified advertisements, a lot of US folk advertise their wares in there when they return to the US etc. You will be able to find it all over Paris in places like US/Canadian/UK Embassies, Irish Pubs, English bookshops and so on. You might find it in French Embassies in the US as well! Enjoy your stay in Paris, we certainly did. Cheers, Steve.

Oh yes and salad dressings and other processed / packaged foods.  There are HUGE amounts of them in the U.S. (not that I can imagine anyone going to the trouble of bringing them over here).  Until recently, there were only two salad dressings sold here (and they are terrible MHO).  Now there are about half a dozen, though after trying two I will stick to my homeade recipes.  I would say I prepare homeade foods almost always as, until recently, the boxed mixes, etc. simply weren't available (they taste bad anyway, but are so popular in the U.S.).  I know we are all better off for the fresh / homeade foods and they taste SO much better.

Let me start by thanking everyone for taking the time to share their feedback. I’m glad I made it through the France forum initiation. For a second I thought I was rushing my college fraternity, I was convinced a “naked run” call was right around the corner.

I can’t say I have ever heard about Sloggi underwear but visually judging the quality and integrity of the fabric those LADIES are wearing; I wouldn’t mind being that bicycle seat.

In reference to Goobers Peanut Butter….it is the American Dream. I love it and Goobers loves me. I would be more than glad to bring a jar with me, however customs might have a problem with it. Given we are at an orange threat level that means Goobers Peanut butter is out of the question!

I’m not stressing about adjusting to a French lifestyle I just don’t want to waste anytime looking for something I should have had the foresight to bring. I’m sure everyone understands.

[quote user="ace85driver"]

I’m glad I made it through the France forum initiation. For a second I thought I was rushing my college fraternity, I was convinced a “naked run” call was right around the corner.

[/quote]

Didn't Chris H mention that?  We'll all be waiting at the airport, towels at the ready.

[quote user="Alexis"]

Ooohh!

Look!  There's me!  There's Miki.  There's Cassis......

[/quote]

Nahhh, you lot are all wrinklies, that lot are young'uns.

In truth Ace85, I'm sure you'll instantly adapt. I've no idea about the mobile/cellphone situation, I haven't had one for three years.....now back to bicycle seats!