Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

No answer from me, as I'm French, but I think you can decide to come and live in France and then learn French on a daily basis, just being here, and maybe taking lessons, talking to the neighbours, the " boulanger" etc...

I lived in London for a year when I was much younger, and when I got there, I didn't really speak good English ( well ok, some people  think I still don't...)

I learnt a lot during that year I spent there. So I don't mind people coming iover here with just a few notions.. Hey, you live and learn !! [:D]

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fussy, i love living here but i don't speak a lot of french. I am learning though and every day i pick up a bit more. I am listening to the tapes every day for at least 2 hours, they play in the background while we are working on the house , and myself and my OH repeat the phrases out loud, and in january we start our "proper" lessons. We have been here 8 months and so are still in holiday mode to some extent although we are doing 10-12 hour days in here. Maybe when we finish the house and can't fill our days we may find it different , but until then we will carry on enjoying our life here.We have met some smashing people here but also some who it is very easy to turn away from.

I also understand other postings about some brits becoming insulated. If you can't speak the language and so don't read french papers or watch french tv, then you don't hear about the bad side of life here and so just carry on living in your own little bubble. We find that we can go a couple of weeks and then realise we haven't spoken to anyone else but ourselves and Michel on the french language tapes. That doesn't bother us at the moment but who knows how we'll feel in a couple of years. Maybe we will change our minds and realise it doesn't suit us,  i seriously hope not, but we take each day as it comes and enjoy it as best we can. Why worry about tomorrow when you've still got today to get through.

No offence intended these are my own personal opinions and feelings.[:D]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

or like most big cities, Polish and other Eastern Europeans I expect

[/quote]

Do you have a problem with Polish and Eastern Europeans? One thing about SW France, too many snotty English old farts! Have you thought about joining the French Police force?

[quote user="S"]

Do you have a problem with Polish and Eastern Europeans? One thing about SW France, too many snotty English old farts! Have you thought about joining the French Police force?

[/quote]

Hoi, I resent that!  I might live in SW France, but my nose is nicely wiped, thank you, I'm less than 50, and have no problems with flatulence (at this moment).

Take it back this instant.

[quote user="S"][quote user="Cendrillon"]

or like most big cities, Polish and other Eastern Europeans I expect

[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem whatsoever, just stating a fact!

[quote user="Cat"][quote user="S"]

[/quote]

Hoi, I resent that!  I might live in SW France, but my nose is nicely wiped, thank you, and have no problems with flatulence (at this moment).

Take it back this instant.

[/quote]

Ditto

[quote user="fussy"]Just as a matter of interest, all of you that have said you love living in france, how many of you can speak french.[/quote]

Moi - but then I'm not one of those who said they love living in France [;-)].  For us it's just a second home in a country that, like many others, has its good and bad points.  France is not somewhere we would choose to live or work but it gives us a nice contrast to our life in the UK and a bit of rental income.

Sorry geordie, but why have you taken umbridge because scooby has said he/she doesn't want to live in france, it was a fair and honest oppinion of course there is good and bad everywhere, I have noticed aswell, that everyone that says "you must mix with the french" can all speak french, I love the french, but can't have any conversations with them, as I don't speak the language, I am learning, but by the time I am fluent the universal language will probably be english anyway. (just a joke)