Rain

Very true, was talking to my sister yesterday in ireland she said the heating bills have gone through the roof, her heating costs of a modest house last year was €2,000, made up as follows, €500, €650 and €900 all for 1,000l of home heating oil. so next year the guts of ,,,,,€3,000.

The wife is off to ireland to see the elderly parents tonight, so i guess the combination of her departure and the rain has me down a little.

ams

[quote user="Cathy"] Ams - it's brightening up now.  Just like yesterday - very wet but followed by glorious sunshine.  In the UK, once it's wet, it's wet all day. [/quote]

Is your memory of Britain starting to get a bit dim, Cathy? [:)] [;-)] Britain is the land of showers and the weather can change extraordinarily quickly and certainly has been doing recently. It's not very sunny today here in mid-Wales, but still and warm enough to be out in short sleeves. As for heating, we've had the CH on here in Mid-Wales twice in the entire month of May, each time just for a half an hour to take the chill off. Given the kind of weather reports that have been coming from France recently, I think I'm probably in the right place at the moment. [:D]  With luck the rain will have moved on and it will be nice and sunny when we get to France in 3 weeks time.....

[quote user="Cathy"] Ams - it's brightening up now.  Just like yesterday - very wet but followed by glorious sunshine.  In the UK, once it's wet, it's wet all day. [/quote]

Did here yesterday too but struggling today ..........

[quote user="KathyF"]

With luck the rain will have moved on and it will be nice and sunny when we get to France in 3 weeks time.....

[/quote]

Ooh I do hope it gets better before then ...............

[quote user="ams"]

Black skies, thunder and yet more rain, whats happening, time to wake up from my dream about retiring to France and the sunny south west.

ams

[/quote]

I know what you mean ams. I have recently taken a job on the west coast of Ireland. Me and the Mrs speak several times a day and always compare weather, and it DEFINITELY rains more in Picardie than in Ireland [:-))] they don't tell you that on Househunters in the Sun

[quote user="oakbri"]

it DEFINITELY rains more in Picardie than in Ireland

[/quote]

Don't know how long you will be in Ireland but my inlaws live in the West and  their conversation revolves almost totally around the rain. As in, it's raining, it's drizzling, it's pouring, just started, just stopped, just tailing off, you get the picture. It has been very dry, for the West, this year but I think it's making up for it in one go at the moment. Enjoy!

Just spent 8 days away, 4 in the west of Ireland, weather very pleasant, then 4 days in Southend in the UK, weather fantastic. We took off out of London last night in perfect conditions, after 25 minutes of flight I saw a bank of black cloud ahead, you guessed it - France.

Got home last night to clouds, woke up this morning to torrential rain, and its still raining. According to the internet its still beautiful in Southend. I never thought I would live in a place with worse summers than the UK, but I do. The worst thing is, my house is almost ready to sell, and the market appears to have gone flat. I have a job waiting for me in Spain as soon as I sell up but I need to finish this place and get it sold. I have promised myself and my family that this will be our last year without a summer, I just hope the market improves by the time I am ready to sell.

Picardie is without doubt the greyest, wettest most boring place I have ever been. I envy those of you in the south.

[quote user="oakbri"]

Picardie is without doubt the greyest, wettest most boring place I have ever been. I envy those of you in the south.

[/quote]

I aint arguing!

Did you watch "Bienvenue chez les Chti's" (our cousins in the Nord)? If so you would have laughed out loud as did all the Picards in my cinema at the scene where he crossed the nord border on the autorut and the heavens opened.

I am currently rained off once again, usually I can get in at least 4 or 5 hours even if I cant start unti 5pm but these last few weeks have been an exception.

hopping over the channel I reckon that Southern Water are about to announce another drought restriction citing replete underground aquifers or wrong type of rain!

[quote user="Cathy"]

Ams - it's brightening up now.  Just like yesterday - very wet but followed by glorious sunshine.  In the UK, once it's wet, it's wet all day.

[/quote]

Bit like the Limousin, then, esp 87..........once it starts raining it doesn't know how to stop, then if it DOES dicker off, we get a "bruine", a bit like a North Sea fret[:(]

[quote user="oakbri"]

According to the internet its still beautiful in Southend. [/quote]

Ha! Been raining most of the night and most of today! We're not too far from Southend-on-Mud.

I thought the planet was supposed to be suffering droughts and high temps?

Presently, after Paque, when it was colder than New Year and we had a blizzard [:'(], we seem to be suffering from Global Colding and Wetting!

Perhaps someone can start using the CFC aerosols again please!

I was in particular need of a rant this morning. I have been working a new job in the west of Ireland for 6 weeks, doing a week there and a week off back in Picardie. The routine is becoming depressing, nice weather all week in Ireland and then returning to the usual rain and greyness of Picardie.

It brightened up a bit this afternoon so I wheeled the motorbike out of the garage, by the time I got my jacket and helmet on it had started spitting again. I am already looking forward to going back to Ireland next week.

Anyway hopefully the house will be finished soon and will sell. Then I am moving somewhere that actually has seasons, as opposed to the 9 months of greyness and rain followed by winter which I have sadly become used to.

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="oakbri"]

According to the internet its still beautiful in Southend. [/quote]

Ha! Been raining most of the night and most of today! We're not too far from Southend-on-Mud.

I thought the planet was supposed to be suffering droughts and high temps?

Presently, after Paque, when it was colder than New Year and we had a blizzard [:'(], we seem to be suffering from Global Colding and Wetting!

Perhaps someone can start using the CFC aerosols again please!

[/quote]

Gluestick

I was only going by what my google gadget was saying, and it showed sun. But it was beautiful there the last few days. My wife confirmed it stayed the same in Picardie all week - rain!!!

[quote user="brother of woolybanana"]Picardy is rather notorious for its wetness I'm afraid, whereas here in the Vendéen microclimate .......[/quote]

Here in southern Morbihan it has been lovely too, though in all honesty I must add we did have a 5 minute downpour at lunchtime!

Sue [;-)]

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]Picardy is rather notorious for its wetness I'm afraid, whereas here in the Vendéen microclimate .......[/quote]

Every cloud has a silver lining if you look hard enough, in this case very hard!

The poppies are looking fantastic this year with the combination of the crap weather and loads of recently disturbed ground where lotissments have sprung up but people no longer have the money to buy the plots or commence the building.

Someone told me this morning that the reason we are experiencing so much rain this year is down to the fact that there are not 12 but 13 lunar cycles this year.  There were apparently 13 last year as well, and 2007 was also a very wet year.  I'm told that the extra lunar cycle only happens about 8 times each century, but each time it does then rain (lots of it) can be virtually guaranteed.

Is this a load of old tosh, or might there be something in it? 

That's interesting Cat. It could be true as the moon does influence the weather among other things. You often get a change of weather with a new moon. I was hoping that would happen on the 4-5th of June when there was a new moon, but no such luck.

I feel sorry for the farmers - they haven't started getting the hay in yet around here, and as for cutting the rape - hopeless. And the wheat isn't ripe enough to cut.

On the other hand the newly planted maize and sunflowers are springing up fast.