Are you excited?

There was a recent high profile international conference on that very subject, unfortunately I cant find the reference. I do know that representative Govt ministers ended up in an all night session thrashing out the critical degree of taper. The length had been already established at a previous session. The sticking point (as I remember) was the conflict between the northern chinese 'Han' style dibber favoured by both China and the Koreans and the southern Vietnamese 'Long March' style that originally was a Taiwanese submission.

There was a substantial taper difference of 1.6 degrees over the 15 cm length. As reports will show, a compromise solution was reached after the EU gave a study grant to establish the best one.

The 1,483 page report finally established a World standard which now only needs to be ratified by the USA in order to be adopted.

I am like many on this thread, not interested in the least, but how can we avoid it unless you don't switch off the Tv or the radio for the whole period?? [:-))]

All the more in China.. ( Human rights, Tibet, dog meat.. not for me, deffo.. personal NoWATCH period )

I feel "a bit" sorry for Chambers, he has really regretted it and he should now be allowed to take part, especially as other countries' rules are less strict. Apparently this tough ruling does not deter certain young sportmen/women to take drugs (not even the certain knowledge that it shortens life substantially). And who knows what medals have been won before the Seventies by sportsmen on drugs?

I love some of the postings!  But I will just have to endure it; what with a very sporty (armchair) husband and mother in law I will get full exposure.

[quote user="Monika"]

I feel "a bit" sorry for Chambers, he has really regretted it and he should now be allowed to take part, especially as other countries' rules are less strict. Apparently this tough ruling does not deter certain young sportmen/women to take drugs (not even the certain knowledge that it shortens life substantially). And who knows what medals have been won before the Seventies by sportsmen on drugs?

I love some of the postings!  But I will just have to endure it; what with a very sporty (armchair) husband and mother in law I will get full exposure.

[/quote]

I'm not a bit sorry for Chambers, do the crime, do the time. Every time I may have had a little sympathy my thoughts went to the three guys who lost their gold medals in the relay because of him.

Other countries should follow our example (for once !) - perhaps that really would be a step to sending the right message.

I will be watching as much of the Olympics as possible, especially the track events, because it was my best sport (in my youth obviously.) 200 and 400 metres. But I will be more excited when it's in London in 2012. The fact that it's in China doesn't bother me.

But things have changed so much. There was limited access to coaching in my day, except for private sessions, and amateur really was amateur. The only drugs avaiable were glucose tablets.

I still remember the great excitement before a race, and my first pair of spiked shoes.

I agree Puzzled, Mark Cavendish is splendid. The problem for me is I constantly wonder what they are on and if their masking agent is one step ahead of the doping controllers. I do believe Cavendish is clean but the others.......? Who was it who said that cynicism is the triumph of experience over hope?[8-)]

[quote user="dr orloff"]Given that complete rubbish like Eastenders and Coronation Street occupies virtually every night of the TV schedules why do people moan when a bit of sport comes on?[/quote]

I don't watch trash like East Enders or Coronation Street - in fact I do watch very little television.  But the fact it that there is far too much sport on television and it isn't balanced out between sport, trash and better quality stuff.  I'd like to see stage musicals televised, more ballet televised and more quality films earlier in the evening.  I'm  on holiday in France at the moment and I had hoped that the Olympics would have been on while we are away, but not being clued up on sporting matters, I don't know when the Olympics are on, so wasn't able to arrange to be out of England when they are taking place.  There are sports channels.  Well wouldn't it be better to have sports on sports channels, soaps on soap channels and other category channels too.  Unfortunately the sports channels are pay channels and my family doesn't watch enough television to make it worth paying for any channels at all.  My view is that if you take the ratio of people taking part in various sports compared to those taking part in dance, amateur dramatics etc and compare it to the ratio of programmes of those types of programmes on television, it is completely out of balance.  I know more people who have an interest in dance than play golf , snooker, tennis etc and that is not counting people who dance within my own organisation.  People such as myself are just not catered for on television, whereas there is ample for those interested in sport.

• 4 weeks later...

woolybanana'sbrother 

Re: Are you excited?

Did you watch Carmen late last night?

No - but I assume you mean the opera - and I'm not into Opera - but anyway, I'd gone on holiday at the time of your posting and hadn't much internet access.  But to be honest, I watch so little television that I forget to check what is on television then find I miss things I am actually interested in.

23/07/2008, 0:57

dr orloff

Joined on 13/04/2008
Posts 70

Re: Are you excited?

I think that if you added up all the televised sport it would actually constitute a small proportion of total free broadcasting. 

Surely stage musicals belong on the stage though.   

Surely stage musicals belong on the stage though.   

Yes, but only in the same way as

football supporters prefer to see a match live.  It is too expensive

for most people to go to see a stage musical, so making it available on

television would introduce more people to this form of entertainment. 

It would also encourage more people to go to the theatre if they got a

taste for it.  Personally, I'd love to see more stage shows live, but

the nature of my work prevents me from going to the theatre as often as

I would like.

Wooly, that was one of the best Carmens I had ever seen and that included live and televised versions.  I thought the singing was superb.

That's the best thing about Arte.  You do find the occasional gem amongst everything else!

I have, however, found the 3 or 4 proms concerts I have watched on the TV not to my taste.  And I am an avid proms follower. 

Grinding my teeth in frustration................