It's snowing here

Clair

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="DerekJ"]That's worrying Clair. I'm planning on driving down on Thurday (leaving Calais in the early hours). I've been looking at the weather reports after seeing your post and no snow is mentioned... we are a bit north of Saint Cirq Lapopie..[/quote]

Derek,

we are 650m/2100ft high.

It's still snowing here, but probably hasn't down in St Cirq and looking at the Aurillac webcam, there's no snow there at all, all grey and dismal...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="DerekJ"]That's worrying Clair. I'm planning on driving down on Thurday (leaving Calais in the early hours). I've been looking at the weather reports after seeing your post and no snow is mentioned... we are a bit north of Saint Cirq Lapopie..[/quote]

Derek,

we are 650m/2100ft high.

It's still snowing here, but probably hasn't down in St Cirq and looking at the Aurillac webcam, there's no snow there at all, all grey and dismal...

[/quote]

Thanks Clair.  Our village is at 370 metres so quite a bit lower than you. Tbh I'm more concerned over whether the drive down is likely to snowy. It's a long enough drive in nice conditions so I don't really want to have to worry about snow.

I'm only over for a couple of days... a few small jobs then drain down the water... hope I haven't left that too late!

According to a boating forum, I read from time to time, there has been sufficient snow at Antibes in the South of France to damage the Bimini covers of several boats!! The poster concerned, said he had received a phone call from the Marina staff advising him that his boat cover and metal supporting frame had been damaged by the weight of snow .

Apparently, we are in for a colder than average Winter, but this is ridiculous!

Only just caught up with this thread!

Last Friday, lots of snow driving up through the Ardennes then eased off towards Calais.  Cold and a little snow on Saturday then lots on Sunday. 

Took me more than 9 hours to drive the 400Kms back to Luxembourg.  Many accidents in Belgium (no change there then) including a really bad one which held me up on the autoroute for an hour or more.

I was glad I fitted my winter tyres!

Oh yeah, more than 30cms of snow when I got back to Lux and we still have most of it.

Lots of snow in the Vosges at the moment (deep enough to go over the top of Bloke's wellies) and a brisk -5.3 degrees outside.  Dog totally confused (I now know why springer spaniels are called springers) and children thrilled.  Just like Narnia according to eldest daughter.  And a lot more to come according to our neighbour who knows everything!  Have invested in deeply unsexy, but practical, snowboots.

Fi

Down here we've got our coldest morning so far this winter.  My digi thermometre at the back of the house (NE slope) it's -5.0 however at the front of the house (SW aspect) the digi on the apple tree says it's -3.7. It's pitch black still so I can't see what the weather's doing but I suspect clear skies. Will give the chickens some hot mash this morning [:)]

Something that I've noticed whilst keeping an eye on morning temperatures: why does the temperature fall  by 1 to 2 degrees as dawn rises.  When I checked this morning when it was still dark it was -5 by the time it was light it was-6 then started to rise - why does this happen then?

• 3 weeks later...
Quick update: we lost electricity on Sunday morning and power has only just been restored!

As we need electricity to operate the pump which transports all the water (and other bits...[Www]) to the septic tank, we managed with minimal washing, no washing up and strictly controlled use of the WC cistern (if it's yellow...)

Big pot of soup of the wood-burning stove, reading with a head-torches, candles on several tables (Mr Clair says it's like Christmas [:P]; I say it reminds me of when I was a child and the leccy had been cut off because there was no money to pay for the bill...[:'(])

Thank goodness, it's back now!! [:D] [:P]