We"re keeping registration plates

Frenchie

Too much debate about that..

The gvt has decided to keep the department mumbers on registration plates.

Only difference, you can choose the department you want.. [blink]

What do you think? Maybe nothing .. I'd be curious to read the reaction of British people..

http://actualite.aol.fr/actualite-france/immatriculation-des-vehicules-un-numero-de/article/2008102815090381975734

Well I for one am very pleased, I would have been sorry to see the department numbers phased out on Fr. registration plates.

[:$]

I am old enough to remember when telephone numbers had names as well as numbers, wasn't Montmartre 15 40 the number used in the film Un homme et une femme. In London we had names and numbers as well but they disappeared when automatic dialling came into being.

Ah well, such is progress.

Um Um..

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm also happy, I know it may sound silly but it is a French tradition, we like knowing when people come from when we are on the road, it is a great game for children, a nice way to learn geography too, and the French are massively attached to their departments..

Absolutely agree.   It's a good exercise to learn all the French dept numbers and it's fun when driving back to the ports and noting which depts we DON'T see on the journey.

I still miss the old style British number plates,  I didn't know many of them but *P* *** * was nearly always Surrey.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Does this mean that people changing departements won't be stung €200 for new registration docs and plates?[/quote]

Wools, I don't think you need to pay for re-reg if you're just changing departments.  But you do, of course, have to pay for new plates

[quote user="woolybanana"]Does this mean that people changing departements won't be stung €200 for new registration docs and plates?[/quote]

Isn't that just the cost of re-registration of the car? In effect, the fee for a new carte grise? My (quite possibly flawed) reasoning says all one would save is the cost of having a garage make new plates.

Sorry, didn't make myself at all clear.

When we bought a second car, we paid a re-registration fee and, yes, I think it was over  €200.  The car plates and number stayed the same as we bought from the same dept as ours.

But, if you are taking your already registered car to live in another dept and there is now no requirement to change, then you presumably save yourself the hassle and the money.

The current registration procedure will remain the same.  The only difference is, the vehicle's registration number won't change.

Change of ownership (same department).  Fee to pay.  No change of plate.

Change of ownership (different department).  Fee to pay.  No change of plate.

Change of address (any department).  No fee to pay.  No change of plate.

The department number will no longer form part of the registration number and will be displayed on a blue rectangle on the right hand side of the plate.  So, if you choose to display your own department number, you'll have to buy some new plates.

Unless, of course, someone comes up with the clever idea of manufacturing a handy sticker to go over the old number.....[I]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Unless, of course, someone comes up with the clever idea of manufacturing a handy sticker to go over the old number.....[I]

[/quote]

Do you mean like this one my department sent me [Www]

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z308/elmerfudd-666/car87-1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Calm down Ron,

Perhaps it was unclear that I was agreeing with Catalpa not WB who I suspect was having his little bit of fun as as his wont [;-)]

[/quote]

And, like S-17 - I was thinking in terms of having to register a new (to us, actually second-hand) car purchased within our department but still costing 200-ish € for the change of ownership.

• 5 months later...

The new one looks just like an Irish (Eire) plate if memory serves.

We like driving down through France and when we start to see a few 53's we know we are nearing 'Home' The kids spot 53's and legend has it locals don't fraternise with Parisiennes!

The nicest bit about France is surely it's quaintness, why can't they leave things be?