Constantly impressed by French efficiency - no, really!

I just wanted to try and do a little to dispel the myth about French inefficiency!  Since arriving in France we have been constantly amazed by various departments and found ourselves walking away saying to each other 'wow - that was easy!!'

Anything from CPAM registration to Quittus Fiscales (for car imprts) to EDF coming to the house 10 minutes after we call them (power failure - main fuse blown), on a Saturday!

In fact the only time we have seen inefficiency it's been from English tradespeople who then use the phrase 'well you're in France now' as an excuse for being lazy.

I hark back to my days as an apprentice and being told "Take a pride in yourself and your work" .....The French didn't have a youth opportunities hiatus and retained apprentices...My theory is that they haven't forgotten how to have a pride in themselves and their work.

Why do people continue to make idiotic generalisations about 'The French'?

By all means quote a particular example of something good or bad, but why make a pretentious statement about it as if it were a "truth universally acknowledged"? [:D]

"I just wanted to try and do a little to dispel the myth about French inefficiency!"

This does not tally with my experience, with CPAM, IMPÔTS, EDF, SAUR, Car/House insurance or any other French company that I know of.[:'(]

Gosub, for me the worst but very worst offender is France Telecom............

Worst in my experience in France, nay, I wouldn't hesitate to say WORST ever on both sides of the Channel!!!!!!!!!!!! (no suitable emoticon available to put here!)

[quote user="sweet 17"]But, Steve, if it's written in Arabic, and you don't translate it into English, would it matter?[8-)][/quote]

Not really, a translation would be something like '' you must be joking- on your bike sunshine'' [:(] or the equivalent in any language you care to name.

I dont actually think there is an Arabic word for efficiency (or for please)

CPAM Carcassonne - in and out in 20 minutes.  Following week went to CPAM in Narbonne to get the attestation and number - again in and out in 10 minutes with everything we needed.

IMPOTS Narbonne - in and out in 15 minutes with Quittus Fiscales for two cars, 15 minutes before closing time.

Called EDF from a friends house one Saturday and by the time we walked back to the house they were outside waiting.

Even FT (Orange) in Narbonne were great - connected 10 days before they said we would be.

The list goes on!

Actually I can't think of anytime things have gone slow!

Oh really, just to balance that it isn't all perfect.

Went into CMA to order 3m3 of sand, could not be delivered till Thursday PM, this was Tuesday AM.  Delivery notice placed into pigeon hole for Thursday, there were no delivery notices in Tuesday's slot or Wednesdays and CMA is only 5km from the house.

Perhaps they have a delivery sub-contractor available on certain days or share a suitable delivery vehicle with other local branches both of which may be quite efficient if slightly inconvenient.

In my sweeping generalisations for which I must of course apologise I should make the point that what I was talking about was specific to 'My experience' and therefore by this qualification make the statement at least a bit more specific.