Autumn in the Air!

mint

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 by the thermometer, bright sunshine, nice breeze as well; absolutely wonderful!

Then, I looked at the forecast:  next 5 days are all going to be rainy!  Is someone pulling my leg?

Mind you, if autumn is the seaon of "mists and mellow fruitfulness", I guess we need some rain in order to get these mists and full, plump fruits.

I'm NOT complaining, mind;  garden could do with some rain and OH could have a rest from watering the plants!  Me, I don't water the plants, not my department .................[:D]

Last of the petanque matches on Saturday, this week the vendange (we are told) starts in earnest, AND, it has been too cold to eat breakfast on the terrace the last two days !!!  Mind you by too cold I mean it was less than 20deg, with a very strong wind.  Once the wind dies a little, as it has done today, and changed direction from cold to warm, we'll be back out there again......

EDIT:  Just realised - my 500th post - my first "light" has arrived - at last....!

Ya bo sucks to you lot that are wishing for Autumn and cooler weather [:P]

I was away for three weeks of August so missed all the really good stuff and the pool is struggling now to get above 20deg so for my money I want at least another week of 40deg's [8-|]

We're not wishing for autumn, merely marking its imminent arrival.  As for you, if you would insist on working in some abandoned place like the North Sea, you have only yourself to blame!

As for swimming pools, I don't have one so I don't really pay much notice to what everybody else's pool temperature is like [:P]

Gonna have a nice cup of tea now; it's NEVER too hot to have a cuppa, don't you think?

Hope the weather stays kind to you, Erns.  It must be sooooooooo annoying, being unable to swim in your own swimming pool.........oh dear![;-)]

As Judith says, early mornings are a lot cooler. Also evenings - might have to light a fire soon, except we haven't had the chimney swept yet.

But it's still too hot at 4pm to go out for a walk.

And the aoutats are out and about at last  [:(] - very late this year .

Whatever insects they were that were eating chunks off me seem to be giving it a bit of a rest at last.  Flies are still about though, so I don't know what to make of it.

Forecast remains to say rain for next 5 days!

[quote user="NormanH"]The vendage started very early here this year, on the 27th August,

[/quote]

Well, they picked the white grapes a couple of weeks ago, but this week is the week they start to do the rest - and since they go past our house we can always tell that it has started ....

Last year we helped friends with the vendange, it was late and the first weekend of October, abolutely freezing, temperature was 2C and there was  frost when we got up. Wet ,cold and miserable, we all dressed in many layers and looked like a band of workers from eastern europe. As usual the vendange meal was worth it not to mention a constant supply of pineau.[Www]

Back to school tommorrow for the kids

Serious wine buyers around in Burgundy

Still nice and warm in the day but cool enough to sleep at night

Finish work at 6 instead of 7pm

Tax rebates

I love this time of year!

Ladoix

PS - the vendange isn't scheduled for another week here

[quote user="Ladoix"]Back to school tommorrow for the kids

Serious wine buyers around in Burgundy

Still nice and warm in the day but cool enough to sleep at night

Finish work at 6 instead of 7pm

Tax rebates

I love this time of year!

Ladoix

PS - the vendange isn't scheduled for another week here[/quote]

but don't forget that our 'vin primeur' come out a month before the Beaujolais Nouveau..

I haven't seen any vendange activities around here and I am "generally" in the Bordeaux-producing area.

Today, it's rained and is indeed a bit misty but still need air con in the car.  Had planned a bbq for this evening but will now probably cook the food in the oven instead.  Not changing the menu though and will still serve a well chilled chardonnay comlombard to start. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

It's autumnal, it's French, it's sentimental, it's romantic, it has overtones of sadness, regret and poignancy.

It's for Frenchie.............are you paying attention, Frenchie?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2s2tPORlW4

Plus, it's on thread!!!

[/quote]

Heresy! Heresy! Heresy!

Piaf singing in English! Heresy!

Listen to the original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRSwcO38C4

What is it that these Frenchmen have?  That fair set tingles up and down my spine, Clair.

Jo, what really hit the spot for me with the Piaf were the stills:  those cattle trucks and that Kiss[kiss]

Now must go to Frenchie's thread and make sure she listens............

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I haven't seen any vendange activities around here and I am "generally" in the Bordeaux-producing area.

[/quote]

Sweet, I think you'll find that the vendange starts a little later in the Bordeaux area than down here.  My memory of the Bordeaux regions is that it is normally nearer the end of September than the beginning, though it does depend on what the weather has done during the year and the month preceding I believe.

It's certainly happening here, but not with the ferocity I remember from other years, but the weather has been very strange, and very changeable this last week, which may also be having an impact.

One thing's for sure, Judith, I haven't actually found a Bordeaux red that I like drinking![:$]

Confession over.........................

Yes, the weather has been very changeable here as well but the evenings are definitely much cooler.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

One thing's for sure, Judith, I haven't actually found a Bordeaux red that I like drinking![:$]

[/quote]

Try a Duras - similar but I think better than most overhyped Bordeaux, though I admit it depends on what type of red you like.

You certainly do not need to spend the Bordeaux prices to get a good drinkable Bordeaux, in fact I quite resent the prices they think you have to pay for  a NAME .....!!!