Autumn in the Air!

mint

Got to be at least 5 days ago when I came home one morning from walking the dog and said to OH, "I do believe autumn will not be long coming."

He replied, "Yes, I know, there was heavy dew on the car this morning!"

So, there is a certain freshness in the air, the shadows are longer, the nights are drawing in and the trees are just changing colour.

My fig tree is at last giving up its fruit.

Hot as the days are, there is just that indefinable something in the air.

Please share with us your experience of the first signs of autumn!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm like you, Clair - early mornings, but I don't have the cat and live snack problem!

I can tell autumn is almost here by the condensation on the tomatoes when I pick them each morning. I've been picking cooking apples too- another sign.

Roll on 2 weeks, back to the Gard, leaving behind grey days like today - it was windy, chilly and showery too - Bank Holiday Sunday! To be fair, the forecast is better for tomorrow.

Jo

C'est vrai, Sweets, but first I've got to get my short, fat, hairy little legs [:-))] into  walking mode. Sooooo, I'm off to Font Romeu in the Pyrennees to walk a little this week. If I'm not back on line by next Sunday, send out the 'secours'!

Don't worry, Jen, I'll come and get you myself.  Me, I'm joining the local rando group but I've fallen a bit behind with the dumb bells!

Ah, autumn, lovely walking weather.  Just been round the plot with the dog; beautiful evening, la lune gibbeuse (tell me I've got the term right, PLEASE, Clair) is looking enchanting!

Same in this part of 24, evenings are drawing in, had to change the timers for the watering system, not having to water so often, heavy dew most mornings and as somebody said, there's an almost imperceptable something in the air, change is coming - and many fewer tourists tho St Cyprien was full of Brit holidaymakers today!

Around here they reckon it will only be a couple of weeks until the walnuts fall. Everyone is mowing or scuffling like mad under the trees to make the job of collecting them easier.

The tobacco is already drying in the hangars and they are cutting the maize.

Hoddy

Excellent memory, Sweet!

I had to double-check!

I take the same walk most mornings, waking stick in hand, listening to Woman's Hour or another interesting BBC podcast on my IPod, through the woods and along the old farm track, up to the country road and down the main road, before attacking the steep hill back to the house...pfewww![:-))]

There are several juniper bushes along the track and I am keeping an eye on the berries. I aim to pick them before the blackbirds take notice of them! I have watched them all summer, from green to grey and now almost blue. It must be autumn...

Oh, Dog, I am NOT sad, far from it!

But, I can't do mushrooms, don't know what they should look like and every mushroom that I have shown Madame la Voisine, she has shaken her head at!

Mind you, I have a suspicion that she only does that to put me off them so that there would be more left for her [:'(]

As for my walnuts, I am sooooooooo looking forward to gathering them and putting them in great big boxes.

I, too, have a regular walk, Clair.  I go through the pinède behind my house, walk through several fields, get on to the semi-chemin, stop just short of the metalled road to the village and then walk back home.

The maize has indeed been harvested but the cobs that I picked up off the ground have VERY hard kernels.

The deer have been out and about but I think the chasseurs will be out in force soon and I just hope the babies will not be shot this winter![:(]

Shooting unarmed animals started here last week and the pigeon muderers are preparing to start next week.

On a happier note I made lots of windmills out of plastic bottles, bamboo and poly wrapping paper. I stuck bits of gaudy shiny polypropylene on them to scare away the birds, deer and boar for my 90 year old neighbours vines.

My neighbour loves them and just sits and watches them rotate! He reckons I should sell them to other farmers.

His son has found some 10mm wide thin plastic that suspended between two sticks buzzes beautifully in the wind. I tried to explain that if you do the same with wider plastic film with rotating joints in varying points you can make great arcs that fly. So far the largest have been a kilometre long.

[quote user="Clair"]
There are several juniper bushes along the track and I am keeping an eye on the berries. I aim to pick them before the blackbirds take notice of them! I have watched them all summer, from green to grey and now almost blue. It must be autumn...
[/quote]

They need the first frost before picking.

Still unrelentingly hot in the south Var, with day time temps still well into the low thirties and night time temps not going below 21, with relatively high humidity.

This has been the hottest and driest summer for several years and the locals are all complaining and waiting in eager anticipation for cooler temps.

Days though are drawing in and it is not getting light until after 6.00am.

[quote user="powerdesal"]

[quote user="Clair"]

[/quote]

They need the first frost before picking.

[/quote]

You can slways put them in the freezer for a few hours if the frosts don't oblige

Chris