Snow

Joe

Watching the UK news last night they were saying something like "First the snow now the freeze", they seemed to have forgotten the third which is "then the flooding". We had light dusting here (in Aude) yesterday, about 3 to 4 inches and its not showing much effort at melting at the moment even though we are +1 deg C but already the river (Aude) is 'up'. Fortunatly not much chance of flooding where we are (360M) but if I were further down the valley I would be looking to add a bit of flood defence measures to my property for later on.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its currently about 9 inches deep on the table outside, and in the garden it comes over the tops of my wellies! Its still falling too - not hard, just a fine must, but its been going like this non-stop all day and shows no sign of letting up overnight.

Im more worried about the weight of the built up snow collapsing the woodshed roof than anything else.

Tomorrows flight back to UK has been cancelled, but since I cant get the van out of the hanger, I had no chance of getting to toulouse anyway.

photo taken just now (23.50)...

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/DSCF0022.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/DSCF0027.jpg[/IMG]

It kept up the fine drizzle of snow all night, and its STILL falling with no sign of letting up.

You have to wonder what goes on in some peoples minds though.

"Alors, Pierre, when should we send the snowploughs out?"

"Well, Jean Claude, I think we should send them round just after midnight. Nobody will be out on the roads to benefit at that time, and since its forecast to snow non stop all night, by the time morning comes and people will need to travel, the roads will be deeply covered again, making our efforts during the night pointless"

"Pierre - thats brilliant. To the tractors!"

[8-)]

We have fine snow at the moment, not so much but its very windy so it looks worse than it is, I guess we are up to about 5 or 6 inches now. Long range forecasts say it will be sunny tomorrow then snow on Monday with nothing again till the end of next week. The main roads are clear here, the snow ploughs and grit were out at about 6 O'clock this morning, our biggest problem is getting up our drive then along the 50M road to the main road. If I do have a go at getting the car out I will leave it at the top of the road. I find the snow chains very helpful for this sort of weather. Today the outside temp is -2 the lowest it has been so far. That in a way is good news for us as we are on EDF Tempo so the red days are disappearing quite quickly and hopefully they will all be gone by the end of the month when we open again for business.

Max, our dog, has only got as far as the terrace, walked up and down then rushed back in straight back to his bed which is probably the most sensible thing to do.

[quote user="dave21478"]

You have to wonder what goes on in some peoples minds though.

"Alors, Pierre, when should we send the snowploughs out?"
"Well, Jean Claude, I think we should send them round just after midnight. Nobody will be out on the roads to benefit at that time, and since its forecast to snow non stop all night, by the time morning comes and people will need to travel, the roads will be deeply covered again, making our efforts during the night pointless"
"Pierre - thats brilliant. To the tractors!"
[8-)]
[/quote]

And the conversation that goes with it.

Mrs Pratt "the forcast is for bad weather , should we stock up so we do not have to go out ? "

Mr Pratt "no need , some mug will rescue us" 

I see that Carcassonne airport is shut due to snow, I am meant to be traveling next wednesday, what are your thoughts on the likelihood of it happening? I have to get back as guests are booked in and as Liverpool Carcassonne is the only flight from the north to south/ south west of France I'm a bit stuck for ideas

Well I know the Gritters and Salt-Spreaders are being criticised but our daughter's FIL who lives in the north and is retired, does this job in the winter as a casual  worker. He was was called out at lunch time on Christmas day, no choice, he had to go and get on with the job, I think he has been out gritting every day / or night since then. Luckily lunch was ready and  he managed to enjoy that with the family.

[quote user="Babbles"]I see that Carcassonne airport is shut due to snow, I am meant to be traveling next wednesday, what are your thoughts on the likelihood of it happening? I have to get back as guests are booked in and as Liverpool Carcassonne is the only flight from the north to south/ south west of France I'm a bit stuck for ideas[/quote]

Maybe you will and maybe you won't. [:(]

This snow does not look as though it will leave the U.K. anytime soon. As fast a runways are cleared they have another fall of snow and the snow ploughs also have to clear the taxi ways and stands.

[quote user="Babbles"]I see that Carcassonne airport is shut due to snow, I am meant to be traveling next wednesday, what are your thoughts on the likelihood of it happening? I have to get back as guests are booked in and as Liverpool Carcassonne is the only flight from the north to south/ south west of France I'm a bit stuck for ideas[/quote]

Sunny tomorrow then cloudy for Monday and Tuesday with rain on Wednesday. Seeing that Carcassonne council will be loosing a shed load of money I suspect it will be open in the next 24/48 hours.

Its up to 14" on the table and still falling without sign of stopping. Its been atad windy at times over the afternoon, and since the snow is so fine and powdery, I expect very deep drifts on the roads.

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/DSCF0015.jpg[/IMG]

"Whats this stuff? you expect me to put my feet in it? Let me back in. Now."

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/DSCF0001-2.jpg[/IMG]

We're supposed to be flying on that route tomorrow (Sunday). I expect, given the weather conditions, that Carcassonne will be open tomorrow. If we are lucky, the aircraft will also be able to leave from LPL. Incidentally, the flights that were not able to get in the other day diverted to Perpignan, although today's flight from Charleroi was cancelled.

Easyjet saved us from the nightmare of Gatwick last Thursday ... by cancelling our flight. Our onward flight from LGW was also cancelled, so we were quite happy to stay put.

Montpellier is currently snow-free, though there is snow in La Grande Motte and also to the west and south-west. Autoroute FM is giving good updates on snow-clearing operations and current bans of HGVs on secondary routes in certain departements.

Regards

Pickles

They seem to keeping Liverpool open , its the Carcassonne end of things thats the concern, hopefully the worst case scenario will be a diversion to Perpignan, only trouble is the cars at Carcassonne :-) but all the other times I've been diverted we've been bused, so fingers crossed .

We're near Pezenas so I'm hoping that it will be snow free and the heating hasn't tripped out, its going to operation toasty getting the chambre d'hote ready for guests as I think they'll be spending lots of time round the house if the weathers pants !!

Here in N Lot we normally have just 1 weekend of snow a year - even when 18"/20" fell on 27/01/06 it only lasted a couple of days. Woke up this morn to find there is maybe 3" but this is enough to keep the car and van indoors. Whichever of the 2 routes I choose to/from our hamlet I have to climb a hill on returning which, combined with first gear hairpins, can make life interesting.

Have spoken to friends in England - Colchester, Bury St Edmunds and Stafford - and none of them are suffering. This is not newsworthy of course.

Not very exciting really.

John

Dave I presume your pics are from France! Will look your area up on the map. I would love to look out on it but am glad we havent got it .......... yet! Dog requires his daily walk whatever the weather and the wind chill is such that to be blunt he can stuff it!!!!! Keep warm, drink RUM !!!

Due to fly into CCF from Stansted tomorrow landing around lunch time.. Is it worth even going to Stansted? I don't mind the bus trip from Perpignan, and backlogs must be piling up so more cancellations can't be good for Ryanair or Aude coffers? Any infos?

Many thanks..

[quote user="joidevie"]Due to fly into CCF from Stansted tomorrow landing around lunch time.. Is it worth even going to Stansted? I don't mind the bus trip from Perpignan, and backlogs must be piling up so more cancellations can't be good for Ryanair or Aude coffers? Any infos?[/quote]

Keep an eye on the Ryanair site (www.ryanair.com), the Stansted site (www.stanstedairport.com) and the CCF airport site (www.carcassonne.aeroport.fr) before you set off. The weather is supposed to be calming down, so no or very little snow overnight/Sunday morning is expected and the weather in the afternoon is supposed to be getting brighter. Damn cold though. Ryanair doesn't do "backlogs"; you fly or else the flight is cancelled and you rebook on a later flight (f.o.c) or get a refund. Ryanair also doesn't have aircraft spending overnights away from their bases so TENDS not to get many aircraft out of position at the end of the day. We are due to fly CCF-LPL at 12:25 tomorrow. Your flight is due in at 14:15.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="dave21478"]"Whats this stuff? you expect me to put my feet in it? Let me back in. Now."

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/DSCF0001-2.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Love the photo.

Bless him/her - hope you jumped to it pretty sharpish and let the poor wee soul back into the warm.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="joidevie"]Due to fly into CCF from Stansted tomorrow landing around lunch time.. Is it worth even going to Stansted? I don't mind the bus trip from Perpignan, and backlogs must be piling up so more cancellations can't be good for Ryanair or Aude coffers? Any infos?[/quote]

Keep an eye on the Ryanair site (www.ryanair.com), the Stansted site (www.stanstedairport.com) and the CCF airport site (www.carcassonne.aeroport.fr) before you set off. The weather is supposed to be calming down, so no or very little snow overnight/Sunday morning is expected and the weather in the afternoon is supposed to be getting brighter. Damn cold though. Ryanair doesn't do "backlogs"; you fly or else the flight is cancelled and you rebook on a later flight (f.o.c) or get a refund. Ryanair also doesn't have aircraft spending overnights away from their bases so TENDS not to get many aircraft out of position at the end of the day. We are due to fly CCF-LPL at 12:25 tomorrow. Your flight is due in at 14:15.

Regards

Pickles

[/quote]

Let's hope they have enough spades to clear the runway.. I just spent 3 hours waiting on board a flight from Oslo to London only to be diverted to East Midlands with a coach to Stansted.. After only 2 days to recover, I could do without another major one! Still, let's hope..

An update of the status of my garden table....

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/short/table5.jpg[/IMG]

Its now 16 inches deep, but the rate of accumulation seems to be slowing. The snow is still falling, but its an incredibly fine powder now. The forecast reckons it will fall all night too.