Snow

Joe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Judith"] I remember in 1978/9 it started snowing on NYEve, and there was still snow around at Easter.  That was in the N of England and Scotland.  Glad I'm now in the south of France, 30 years ago I could cope with the cold - not now! [/quote]

I remember that winter too, Judith. Here in Mid-Wales it snowed just befor our son's birthday on Dec 1st and there was still snow on the ground when our daughter had her birthday on Feb 22nd.

This morning we've got at least 9" standing snow in sheltered areas and are completely snowed in with 2-4ft drifts all down our track, and the snow is still blowing off the fields.  Isn't retirement good?  [:D]

We have had about 5 cm here in East Anglia - so not as much as other folks! However, I have still managed to have a prang in my car today on the way home from work - on a country lane going at only 5 mph! Car coming towards me in the middle of the lane and would not move over even though I did as much as I could. Other driver said she was frightened of going into the ditch - I swear she had about 2 metres till she reached the ditch.

Anyway to cut long story short not much damage to cars and all of us are not hurt. Surely this was the main thing I said to her. This did not pacify her - she still insisted on hurling abuse at me and called me a silly f****** cow!

Anyway point is take care everyone out there.

Folowing comments like these from the RSPB we have stopped putting out bread and use the seeds you can get from places like Bricomarché. They seem to like sunflower seeds best of all. 

"Bread is often thrown out to the birds but it doesn't actually contain any of the vital ingredients to provide birds with the energy they need to breed and feed," said Val Osborne, the RSPB's head of wildlife inquiries. "We are asking people to consider alternatives."

See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3927291.ece

Yes it was not until last Spring that I found out that bread was no good for them and I can only hope that in the past no bird has suffered as a result of my putting out bread. More snow here to the east of Niort, big flakes and laying on top of this mornings snow. Hope we can get to town on Friday as I have an X-ray to get done!

I live 12 k  south of Niort , I ll go and see if it is snowing now !!

I wonder if I'll be able to drive my son to school tomorrow am.

We should normally leave home at 10 to 8.

Got a call from a friend, he said the road was a real " ice rink" now; it took him 25 mn to come back from work , when it normally takes 5 !!!

Can you imagine as shown on UK TV news ...14 hours stuck  overnight in snow on a main road like the A3 ......The advice is to take drinks. a shovel. blanket. charged mobile phone with you  ....They never advised the most important bit of  kit ....a portaloo.! 

[quote user="Mme poivre"]Its hard to bear but no school tomorro and may be not friday either The extra marking day was put to good use though we went to playin the snow That reminds me Frederick if you do get stuck in your car dont play with the yellow snow :-)[/quote]

Mme poivre......I aint going nowhere !...  The hospitals have cancelled out patient appointments for a couple of days . As I cover the New Forest from where I am on the Dorset Hants border  I will not be picking up any patients ... Any yellow snow I might see will be in my garden  from the next door neighbors cat ... 

I've heard from a friend in the Gard this morning that an annual event planned for this evening has been cancelled because of snowy conditions. The small amount last year brought chaos to our area, but the photo she sent shows a lot more now! We would normally have been there now, so I think I'd be looking very fat in many layers of clothes, and huddled over the electric fire! [:D]