Blowing a real hooley tonite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm praying from a distance. Canal tiles used in the Charente have a habit of slipping under normal winter conditions so god knows what 100mph will do to my roof. I'm not looking forward to finding out thats for sure. Do insurances normally cover such damage or are these acts of god?

I like krusty's site, plenty of info, graphics are good but perhaps for me too much Beaufort stuff, I do like my kilometres.[:)]

Not sure that it requires such thick arrows but maybe on a pitching yacht with poor light they can be seen easier on the eye.

Quote: To me this is not pathetic at all.  The meteo France site suits me very well, don't understand why you say that. End Quote:

Perhaps pathetic was too strong; yes it was too strong and I exaggerated in implying that the méteo france site provokes in me feelmings of tragic "pathos".[:)]

What I meant was to express the "subjective" opinion that the graphics were less animated, less clear, less informative and reduced in size compared with other sites.

I think the value of weather sites and weather forecasts depends very much on the target audience and the expectations of the recipient. Some people just want to know if it's going to rain tomorrow, others want synoptic charts. Depends whether you just want the weather or whether the weather rocks your boat I suppose.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I have the same worry about the tiles on my roof, I know a few ones  are a bit dodgy...... 

My question is what to do if it happens ( tiles being taken off by the wind), should I call the " pompiers"?

Not looking forward to tonight.[:'(]

[/quote]

I guess it depends how many tiles fly off and whether you feel threatened. Just to be on the safe side I'm collecting a few buckets and a bache along with some candles, matches, torch and most important, my charged up cell phone.  In the 1999 tempete I had no damage at all and felt quite smug but not for long.  Two weeks later the house burned to the ground[:-))]

Courage everyone!

[quote user="Gemonimo"][quote user="Frenchie"]

I have the same worry about the tiles on my roof, I know a few ones  are a bit dodgy...... 

My question is what to do if it happens ( tiles being taken off by the wind), should I call the " pompiers"?

Not looking forward to tonight.[:'(]

[/quote]

I guess it depends how many tiles fly off and whether you feel threatened. Just to be on the safe side I'm collecting a few buckets and a bache along with some candles, matches, torch and most important, my charged up cell phone.  In the 1999 tempete I had no damage at all and felt quite smug but not for long.  Two weeks later the house burned to the ground[:-))]

Courage everyone!

[/quote]

[:D][:D]

Pachapappa thanks for your answer.

Geronimo, that is very helpful, I wouldn't have thought of charging up my cell phone.

I have also gathered all the candles I have at home, a bache and buckets. 

In 1999 two enormous trees fell down in front of my house, just 50 cm from my car !!

And we had no electricity nor telephone for a month !!!

( As I lived in a castle in the middle of nowhere they said they were first sorting out problems in the cities and villages, which is understandable! )

Nevertheless, I think tonight will not be anything  similar to 1999 " la tempête du siècle" ..........

Well, I hope you're right, Frenchie. [:)]  The house which is now our second home lost its entire roof in the grande tempete of 1999, so it's worrying to be several hundred miles away and not able to see what's happening.  It's going to be quite rough here too, but nothing like as bad as further south.

Fingers crossed for all of you in France.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="Frenchie"]

[/quote]

Get up there now with some 'Super Glue' [:D][:D]

I'll come over and hold the ladder for you [Www]

[/quote]

Quel mufle ! ( dunno how to translate that!! ) lol

Thought you were about to say you'd help me mate! [:D]

Whatever will be will be .....   que sera seraaaaa

See, I'm still singing... But may be panicking tonight  !! [:-))] 

[quote user="KathyF"]

Well, I hope you're right, Frenchie. [:)]  The house which is now our second home lost its entire roof in the grande tempete of 1999, so it's worrying to be several hundred miles away and not able to see what's happening.  It's going to be quite rought here too, but nothing like as bad as further south.

Fingers crossed for all of you in France.

[/quote]

Merci beaucoup..

Hope your roof will be alright this time. Don't you have neighbours you could call? Or the local mairie on monday perhaps..

I'm dreading tonight. I finished putting a new canal tile roof on a piggery last week and despite my best efforts to secure the tiles I don't think they're going to withstand such an assault (it's a single pitch roof, with no ridge tiles, and the exposed side is facing into the face of the storm), and I just hate the wind. Back in the late 1990s, in the UK, a tornado blew my neighbours' house down on Christmas Day while they were still inside. It was awful. Two years ago here the wind blew a rain-cap off a chimney stack and caused damage to the roof tiles on the main house. And when I was a kid we were blown off a campsite in North Wales during a storm that totally wrecked our trailer tent and we had to spend the rest of the night in the car. I have the shutters closed but I'm going to head out now with a torch just to check everything is secure. And then we must wait [:'(]

Rich, you are probably quite near to my place which is midway between Confolens and Charroux. As I'm not back for a week or so, any info on the wind damage in the area would be useful. Thanks

PS the 72 in my logon refers to the year I got married and became an oldgit, was 72 the year you won the football pools??

[quote user="oldgit72"]Rich, you are probably quite near to my place which is midway between Confolens and Charroux. As I'm not back for a week or so, any info on the wind damage in the area would be useful. Thanks

PS the 72 in my logon refers to the year I got married and became an oldgit, was 72 the year you won the football pools??[/quote]

Alas no! It's just my name and year of birth. I'm halfway between Ruffec and Civray so will report back about any damage tomorrow. Theoretically I'm in Charente (but the Vienne border is about 300 metres away) and the hamlet where I live is on one of the few hill tops around here [:(] I can hear the wind in the chimney stack.

[quote user="Rich1972"]I'm dreading tonight. I finished putting a new canal tile roof on a piggery last week and despite my best efforts to secure the tiles I don't think they're going to withstand such an assault (it's a single pitch roof, with no ridge tiles, and the exposed side is facing into the face of the storm), and I just hate the wind. Back in the late 1990s, in the UK, a tornado blew my neighbours' house down on Christmas Day while they were still inside. It was awful. Two years ago here the wind blew a rain-cap off a chimney stack and caused damage to the roof tiles on the main house. And when I was a kid we were blown off a campsite in North Wales during a storm that totally wrecked our trailer tent and we had to spend the rest of the night in the car. I have the shutters closed but I'm going to head out now with a torch just to check everything is secure. And then we must wait [:'(]

[/quote]

Yes, there are strong winds here as well tonight. But.. Rich1972, what happend to you on the bathroom thread? [:D]