Why Travel?

Our French neighbour is a confirmed stay-at-home-oholic. "Why would I want to go off anywhere else?"

He's having an operation in Grenoble later this week (an ankle re-build, so happily nothing life-threatening) but he refuses to accept that he won't be home for the weekend. Daft, but I'm beginning to side with him.

Reasons:

• Planning the trip to cover all eventualities (see below)
  • Making the booking  
  • Getting to the airport / station / port
  • Parking at extortionate rates
  • Overweight baggage
  • Security checks
  • Serious delays
  • Strikes
  • Wrong type of snow
  • Volcanic ash

I ended up with 14/30 problems on the above on our last 3 trips back to the UK and they were one each of train / air / drive, so a reasonable mix. Oh and since I've been here for the last week, the last one doesn't really count. so 14/27.

I think that I'll stay put for the foreseeable future & do what I did this pm - snooze in the sunshine for an hour or so!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Isn't there a saying "it is better to travel than to arrive" perhaps in the current climate this one is better left unsaid!
[/quote]It is in fact a corruption of a quotation by Robert Louis Stevenson from Virginibus Puerisque, 1881:

"Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour."

Amen to that !

[quote user="AnOther"]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Isn't there a saying "it is better to travel than to arrive" perhaps in the current climate this one is better left unsaid!
[/quote]It is in fact a corruption of a quotation by Robert Louis Stevenson from Virginibus Puerisque, 1881:

"Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour."

Amen to that !

[/quote]

What, you got a bet then with the bookies on G Brown winning the election?[:P]

haha. for the original question of this topic:

- open your mind to new perspectives and experiences

- practice foreign languages

- appreciate what you have and don't have in your home region

- try new food! :P

hey guys didn't see a welcome so i'll say hello here! found you from google...

[quote user="cookie"]haha. for the original question of this topic:

- open your mind to new perspectives and experiences
- practice foreign languages
- appreciate what you have and don't have in your home region
- try new food! :P

hey guys didn't see a welcome so i'll say hello here! found you from google...
[/quote]

.............. and hello to you too.  Any more perceptive advice you'd care to offer?

Hi gardian, what do you mean?

I just think traveling's biggest benefit is expanding your view.

Not just for entertainment - it helps you understand more about where you came from.

What you have and don't have, and how much bigger the world is than you feel on the regular day.

Do you agree or?

Quite agree me old Biscuit.

My two sons have been fortunate enough to travel an awful lot since they were very young.  They both say it has expanded their horizons both literally and mentally.

And another reason to travel, sometimes, just sometimes you visit a place so awful that it makes you appreciate what you have at home [:D]

I was lucky enough to have parents who took us all over Europe in the early 60s when it was much rarer than it is now to holiday abroad.  My mother spent her holidays with a French family when she was little and I did the same.  This is the third different country I've lived in since I was born.  I don't know if I'm any better for this as a person but I do know I have lots of great memories of the places I've been (with one or two exceptions!)  But the o/p's neighbour is bang on in one way imo - what a bloomin' palava planning for travel can be.  It was great when your parents had all the hassle and you only had the fun.  Oh for a holiday for which somebody else has done all the planning/ticket buying/organising of how to get the pets looked after etc, etc.  It can take the gilt off the gingerbread a bit.

I so agree, Coops, about all the faff and hassle before you go away and then when you come back.

I used to love travelling and did a lot of it from a young age.  I, too, have lived in different countries (the last one being Wales, if you count that as a country, it certainly felt entirely foreign to me when I first went there!)

Now, I'm not keen on air travel (since planes have got so crowded and noisy and the toilets are dire), and not that ready to drive for miles on end (though I still love driving in France) and not that fussed on trains (since there are no longer porters to help with the luggage).

I guess that from now on it will have to be Shank's Pony (are you listening, Jen, and are you training for the Compostelle?[:D]), executive jet or privately chauffered car. 

So that, in effect, leaves just the one option, doesn't it?[:D]