Royal Wedding Party

Just come back from a really depressing time with the missus' family. Though the TrueBlues did humiliate the SalfordSc*m, which cheered me up a bit.

All the French people, family and friend, we know are Royal Wedding mad, don't know any Brits, probably they're all doing the standard brit-snob bit, and pretending they're not interested.

Trying to have some fun, and cheer us up.........................we're having a PARTY, standard French binge drinking + food, Friday evening, straight after work. Friends, neighbours, crews, work colleagues, boule club, etc, etc.

Red, white and blue vodka jelly!

Tasteless decor!

Cheese and pineapple on a stick!

English beer. Scottish whisky. Irish whisky. Fosters lager. Molson beer. Jamaican rhum.

Covered most countries which he'll be king of one day, bar one.

HELP. Need something Welsh and alcoholic, which I can get in, or near Paris in the next 2.5 days. 

My friend's daughters street is having a party.

I am not that interested. I have never had any idea as to why anyone would want a big white wedding at all, was a bridesmaid when I was 11, later was asked, just never did it again. A wedding after all is not a marriage.

Ofcourse I know I'll not 'miss' it, like I couldn't 'miss' Diana and Charles wedding, the paper thin walls in our first appt in France made sure that I could hear every last bit of it. We didn't have a tv then.

So if I was more for all the weddingy things then it would be different. Apparently lots of people enjoy this sort of do, so I hope that they enjoy it all and their own parties.

Wouldn't mind a party though, just for a partys sake.

Ours is very much a party first Idun. Just seems that everyone I talk to here loves the upcoming wedding.

By coincidence we lived in Bucklebury, on the outskirts of Newbury, when I waqs working there about 10 years ago, and my wife taught at Downe School. Never met any of the Middleton family though.

Hated Bucklebury. The worst example of twee, middle class England I have ever come across. All horses, Hunter wellies, Landrovers and kids at minor public schools. Yuk. The ados in Paris might scare the bejesus out of me, and rob me once or twice a month, but least they're honest!

I don't think Welsh whiskey or Welsh beer will be easy to get hold off.  Why not use daffodils for table decoration and then you could also have some quiche with leeks?

Honestly, the Welsh (apart from the rugby crowd) are such a puritanical race that a few daffs should represent their country well enough?

Edit:  if real daffs are finished now (ours are), you might perhaps be able to get those blow-up plastic ones or why not just have a rugby ball handy somewhere (though the Welsh side is nothing  to write home about?)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I don't think Welsh whiskey or Welsh beer will be easy to get hold off.  [/quote]The company in my link delivers to France, Sweets.  Not cheap though so probably a bit ott for most occasions, I admit.[:)] A barrel of Brains might turn out to be cheaper.

I'm giving up. Nobody will notice!

Note: There will be no wine, pastis, anything French whatsoever.

Little cocktail sausages wrapped in puff pastry. Pate en Croute cut like pork pie. Trifle. Pickled onions, pickled eggs, Branston. Party poppers, leftover Xmas crackers, Union Jack bunting (found some!). Busy night tomorrow. Cooking. Writing instructions for the missus', she can't even boil an egg.

Perfect tonic.

Must stock up on Berocca!

[quote user="breizh"]

...HELP. Need something Welsh and alcoholic, which I can get in, or near Paris in the next 2.5 days. 

[/quote]

Ever heard of "Welsh wine"?
It's what used to come out of our taps in the midlands when I was a child.  [;-)]

Not very alcoholic though.

Angela

We had a discussion today at my French class about the concept of street parties. The last one I was at was for the Queen's silver jubilee, (don't you just love that word?) in 1977. Some people reckon it's an outdated fashion owing to the fragmentation of historically stable communities. Personally I think that most of the women who would have been the ones to organise and cook/bake for street parties are now in the workplace and don't see why it should be left to them to do it. As for doing it for the children, it would be a nightmare policing the little dears.

I like the idea of your party, Breizh. you're having it within the community you mix with. I hope it will be a great success and a load of fun.

We are having a bit of a do on wedding day with some English friends.Chilli and Curry etc.I will not watch the event because I have decided to be in charge of the drinks,but the ladies will watch it.

I was amazed to be invited to one of these parties but then I keep forgetting that I now live in a French bit of the Home Counties.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend as I am walking for a week or so with friends.  Therefore, no TV, no internet, no radio, etc.[;-)]

My only fear is that after a mere week, the post mortem on the wedding will be in full cry and I will be forced to hear all about it whether I want to or not1[:'(]

Frecossais wrote “fragmentation of historically stable communities.”

I think that’s absolutely right. The last time I was involved in one of these (2002?) a man drove out of a fairly newly-built cul-de-sac to find he couldn’t turn left. He got out of the car and railed against our stupidity for having part of the village street closed. He said didn’t know how else to get to Ashby-de-la Zouch, which was less than five miles away, if he couldn't turn left.

Hoddy