Heatwave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Then, those elderly retired colonel types would tap their "glass" and pronounce gloomily that the pressure is falling!

[/quote]

OI you with the chateau and moat, I happen to tap the barometer and pronounce on the pressure regularly and am not Colonel Blimp, so watch it!  [:D]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Very hot here in 17, they say it will be 39C here, I think it's reached that already, [:(]windows and shutters firmly closed to keep sun and heat out.

[/quote]

I am very close to  the Charente maritime. Yesterday it was 38 here, and today.. haven't checked yet. Should be about the same I guess...

I'm just like Cooperlola, if it lasts only a day or two, it 's OK; but itf it lasts longer, then I get grumpy...

Fortunately the hottest it was here today was 28°c but very humid. Then it cooled and we have had a little rain.

BBC weather suggested that much of France was going to be 40°c, what can I say, you poor things. I can't do canicules anymore and said before I left France that another one would probably do for me. As it is I'm having enough trouble with the heat here.

On the news they said that it had been 25° in Montpellier today, and 34.4° in Dunkerque, so no wonder we had our 28° this afternoon, I am so glad that the temperature has dropped and that we have had some rain.

Good luck to you all in the midst of this canicule.

"34.4° in Dunkerque"

We had lunch in Bergues today and can confirm that it was far too hot to stay in the sun. After a couple of weeks of changeable weather in the Moselle Valley (the German/scenic bit), I think I prefer that to what we have at the moment.

Brian (again)

[quote user="woolybanana"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Then, those elderly retired colonel types would tap their "glass" and pronounce gloomily that the pressure is falling!

[/quote]

OI you with the chateau and moat, I happen to tap the barometer and pronounce on the pressure regularly and am not Colonel Blimp, so watch it!  [:D]

[/quote]

OK, OK, no need to shout!  The rest of us do not have your hearing problems, colonel.....[:P]

Wooly, on the news tonight they said that in the Vendee they had had to stop the moisson. I cannot remember hearing of that before, have you any idea as to why? I would have thought that they could safely gather in, even in the heat.

EDIT, could it have anything to do with the dust?

Thanks catalpa, that has surprised me, never thought of that. Never associated getting the crops in with fires starting.

But, I could see a paysan throwing their clope out of the cabin and starting one though, especially after a dejeuner, bien arrosé quoi.[blink]

Most of the wheat has been harvested where we live.

They are also using those water-pumps that spray jets of water over the fields for the maize.  I love watching the jets of water and you can see "rainbows" where the sun shines through them.

[quote user="idun"] Thanks catalpa, that has surprised me, never thought of that. Never associated getting the crops in with fires starting. [/quote]

It's not just fagends - though I can see that happening - but combine harvesters have a nasty habit of self-combusting. Hot engines, lots of dust, blocked air ducts, and bits of dried straw etc... it only takes a bit of metal over-heating and igniting the dry waste and up it goes. Or on flinty, stony ground, metal hitting rock can strike a spark which lands on tinder dry straw and again...

Yes, you are right if it is so dry. I suppose it wouldn't take much to ignite the dry straw. I thought of the dust as I remember when they were harvesting the air was thick and very dusty.

Hoddy, during the last big canicule that is exactly what I did for weeks, stayed in doors, in the dark, even the heat of  one light could be felt. There was no respite. I never want to have to go through that again and just hope I don't have to. Husband went off to work where the 'clim' was on all the time, he was quite happy when he was there.

Having agreed to join the last walk of the season with our walking group, but just the 7km one, not the 15km, I wasn't looking forward to it much, having had temperatures of 30+ for a while.

But we went anyway, and had a great time, with beautiful sea views and a lovely breeze - something we haven't been getting where we live. We walked from Carry Le Rouet, not so far from Marseille, and ended at La Couronne, after a short train ride. There we had a very good lunch by the beach - much better than I'd anticipated - and very good, smiling service for our group of 40+.

Having arrived back home just before 20.00 we found the temperature in the shade was still 31, and not a breeze anywhere! Our son tells me it's around 16 and raining at home in UK, following a couple of very hot days, so I reckon I'll happily put up with another hot night!

Idun t was after the last canicule that we decided to have our conditioning in the bedrooms installed. We gulped when we first saw the estimate, but my other half divided it by four ( the number of our kids ) to see how much less they would inherit. Then we thought they would only waste it anyway so went ahead. I've never regretted even though I would much rather spent my time out of doors.

Hoddy