Names

The Queen is Head of the Church of England: perhaps it is very old fashioned to think that her great-grandchildren might therefore be baptised with Christian names. We were somewhat surprised therefore when we saw her newest great-grandchild is called Savannah Kelly

Is that Princess Anne's son's child? If so, I think his wife is American, so maybe they are good American names; although I seem to recall Kelly being an Irish name - and there was a song about Kelly from the Isle of Man. Don't know where that came from - my memory does throw up odd pieces of info sometimes!  [:D]

I do not understand the wording "christian names" clearly. Do you mean christian in the religious sense as against a name from another faith or christian in the sense of the first name of the english system (in France the first name is the surname). Why is Savannah not a christian name, I have heard it many times given to girls,usually american or canadian.

[quote user="Val_2"]I do not understand the wording "christian names" clearly. Do you mean christian in the religious sense as against a name from another faith or christian in the sense of the first name of the english system (in France the first name is the surname). Why is Savannah not a christian name, I have heard it many times given to girls,usually american or canadian.[/quote]

Christian names are just that: names of Christians - most noticeably those of saints, like John, Mark, Luke, Catherine, Agnes, Felicity, etc.

Savannah is not a "Christian" name, but a first name.

Sorry, for many years, first names in the UK were described as "christian names", else why would I always refer to them a such, until I remember that PC today renders the term "first name".... they were not those just given by Christian people .... but the way the first name used to be described.  I have never regarded my "nom" as my surname, but as that of my Christian name ie that of my given name, which was chosen for me, so I have great difficulty in filling in forms correctly here.

I do think that, for once, the PC brigade have got it right.  I can't think that "Mohammed", for example, could in any way be described as a Christian name or indeed "Na" as in Li Na (the Chinese ladies champion of Roland Garros) or Su Kyi as in Aungyang Su Kyi (who gave a brilliant Reith Lecture from special link to Burma last Monday).

If we are getting into semantics, then a Christian name is a forename that has been given at christening. So if you are a baptised Christian, you have a Christian name, otherwise it's just a forename (or 'given name'). More recent usage is that 'christian name' with a lower-case 'c' is an English term for a forename, if you want to make the distinction of a name given at baptism, then the upper-case 'C' is used, i.e. 'Christian name'.

Surely, what name is given, whether at baptism or not, is a decision for the parents? 'Princess Savannah' has quite a nice ring to it - better than 'Princess Tracey' or 'Princess Kylie' for example (not that I have anything against people with either of those names).

I see the point about the illogicality of referring to names like Mohammed as a christian name, which is why it is probably better to avoid the term in multi-cultural contexts. It reminds me of the joke (I think it was Billy Connolly) - "If Jesus was Jewish, how come he had a Mexican first name?"

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]The actor who played Dr McCoy in "Star Trek" was called DeForest Kelly. Where did that come from? What is the diminutive? What did his mother shout when she wanted him to come in for dinner? Deffy?[/quote]His full name was Jackson Deforest Kelley so I expect she shouted "Jack" when she wanted him. If he didn't come quickly then she might have shouted "Deffy"[:D]

Apparently his full name was Jackson DeForest Kelley. Perhaps his mother called him Jack?

As for Savannah, isn't that a mis-spelling of a word meaning tropical grassy plain? If we are going to name children after towns then I suggest Bacup, Kettering and Cleethorpes as suitable.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Apparently his full name was Jackson DeForest Kelley. Perhaps his mother called him Jack?

As for Savannah, isn't that a mis-spelling of a word meaning tropical grassy plain? If we are going to name children after towns then I suggest Bacup, Kettering and Cleethorpes as suitable.

[/quote]Or even Scunthorpe or Goole

My sister in law was a midwife, she was amused at some names chosen and how the parents had chosen them. She picked up a baby's notes one day and said "Oh, you've called her Sian". "No" said the new mother "It's Cyan". She had looked in a book and made her own pronunciation from the spelling.

[quote user="JK"]We think it's important NOT to give children silly names that just become a lifetime burden  ....  .[/quote]

To Victoria and David, a girl, Harper Seven, a sister to Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz

One can only imagine that this was the title and page of the magazine she was reading when passion overcame them. It is a blessing for the poor child that it was not the Pig Breeders Gazette.