'Little England' will you be watching?

I've missed out completely (apart from watching the one episode) and I've forgotten when and where it's being broadcast!

I tried to find Gardengirl's post where she kindly pointed me in the right direction but, after getting to page 8 or 9 and still hadn't found it, I gave up and decided to eat humble pie and ask, once again and very nicely, when is this prog on and where, please, please?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumpets, what about crumpets?  To my great delight our nearest Carrefour where we lived before started selling them.  As it was quite a distance I used to buy a load and eat them even when they were starting to go mouldy.  Nothing quite like them when hot and all the butter melts into them.  Since we moved eight years ago I haven't seen one single crumpet.   [:(]

Rose, I've seen photos of the area you say you are in and it is so beautiful, take no notice and enjoy it as you do.   [:)]

L'Aiffricaine je sais qui tu es, nah, nah, nah et nah, nah nah.   [:D]   [kiss]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

After a nice bath using Pears Transparent Soap (that's another I'd love to be able to buy).

[/quote]

I have a friend that loves this soap and I tried to buy her some for a birthday but I think I read that the original 'recipe' has finished... so the message was at the time buy it if you want now as it will soon be gone... which is sad if true... I guess it's a sign of the times?

AnOther...did I read on here once a recipe for crumpets... I am very tempted to make some but if I do I'd eat them all and that wouldn't be very good for the diet! [:$]

I have now caught up a bit with the series.

Pity that they concentrate so much on the recent arrivals who remain in the ghetto.

There are better examples than these. For example the choirmaster with the largely immigrant choir can be compared with two Anglophones I know locally

One is the organist of  Béziers cathedral who explains very eloquently in this clip the importance of speaking French, and how he makes his living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY6jMEDkHcU

and another Englishman who directs an all-French choir that sings (among other things) arrangements of traditional songs in Occitan and Catalan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRV9eLMmtBM

Here they sing one of his arrangements of a Catalan folksong...in the Conservatoire at Barcelona with a Catalan choir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQGqrNHT2U

No great standard musically, but surely these people are examples of successful integration? No need to stay just within the Brits abroad community..

Interesting point about concentrating on the new arrivals Norman. But if the statistics are to be believed, because of the age profile of most expat Brits in France, in five to seven years time the vast majority will have left France or died, so finding long stay participants is probably a lot more difficult as they are in a minority.

L'hareng : Poisson d'une taille de 25 cm environ, pesant 200 g. Le hareng a une tête fine, un corps fuselé, des yeux rouges, un dos bleu-noir et un ventre argenté.  Le hareng saur est salé et fumé puis mariné dans l'huile. Le gendarme, plus salé et plus fumé, est vendu entier. Le bouffi, à peine salé, est fumé à froid jusqu'à devenir jaune paille. Le buckling est entier, légèrement salé et fumé à chaud. Le kipper, à peine salé et fumé, est présenté à plat, légèrement ouvert.

[quote user="sueyh"]Did anyone watch on Monday. I could not believe what I was watching when they spoke to the pompous p**t. It's people like him who give us ex-pats a bad name. Or is it just me that thought that. Suey[/quote]

I caught this by accident channel hopping and if it's the Major, or whatever he calls himself, then yes he makes you wince. Remember The Fast Show and "I've got considerably more money that you lot"? But then who is the sadder, him with his feeling of great self importance or the idiots that grovel up to him. I did find the bit about the young lady who is training to be a Chef interesting but all in all as I have not seen any other the other episodes I don't think I have missed much and won't be watching it again unless by accident.

What also escapes me is the need for anyone to watch this series, it's utter dribble and life is too short to watch such sh*t.

[quote user="Quillan"]

What also escapes me is the need for anyone to watch this series, it's utter dribble and life is too short to watch such sh*t.

[/quote]

So what wonderful, life-enhancing, spiritually uplifting, intellectually challenging programmes do you watch then?

[quote user="sueyh"]Did anyone watch on Monday. I could not believe what I was watching when they spoke to the pompous p**t. It's people like him who give us ex-pats a bad name. Or is it just me that thought that. Suey[/quote]Mrs Rabbie and I are completely in agreement with your description of him.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

So what wonderful, life-enhancing, spiritually uplifting, intellectually challenging programmes do you watch then?

[/quote]

X Factor [:P]

Only joking, either a good film, documentaries, Question Time, sport (only rugby and rowing), drama, history, politics, social history, music, cooking etc. What I don't watch is game shows, any form of reality or singing shows (talent shows or opera), football or stuff like the program we are talking about.

Well, clearly I don't share Q's highbrow TV watching habits!

I must admit I rushed home from Keep Fit to watch, especially after 2 members, GG and Jay, told me when the programme was broadcast.

Besides, it IS about my beloved Dordogne (says I who've lived here about 5 minutes!) and I did want to see shots of the countryside, the different towns, etc.

I don't agree with what people think about the colonel, or whoever he was.  I found him such a figure of fun that I hope they'll bring him back at a later date!  I mean, you couldn't INVENT someone like him, could you?

I watched the first two and found them just too slow. Now I watch the opening credits so that I can catch a glimpse of Cenac Bridge, Castelnaud and Beynac then, having flicked away a tear because I'm not there, watch something more interesting.

I'm rather sorry now though that I missed the Colonel.

Hoddy