'Little England' will you be watching?

According to my French tutor who I see every week my Subjunctive,Conditional,Passé simple,Passé

composé are quite good also the Imperfect subjunctive so please do not try to insult me as if you are superior.Stick to the issue and do not try to detract from my main theme. Also I would not involve myself in such a purile program(me)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="David Watton"]According to my French tutor who I see every week my Subjunctive,Conditional,Passé simple,Passé composé are quite good also the Imperfect subjunctive so please do not try to insult me as if you are superior.Stick to the issue and do not try to detract from my main theme. Also I would not involve myself in such a purile program(me)[/quote]

As I recall, it was you who said I was "arrogant"!

By contrast, I have not called you any names.  But, if you fancy that I have, what can I say?

That if the cap fits.......[6]

Edit:  ahem...."my French tutor whom I see....

Edit No 2:  it's actually spelt "puerile".....Now you've made me feel really bad as I don't like to take on people who are not up to or for it![;-)]

[quote user="David Watton"]According to my French tutor who I see every week my Subjunctive,Conditional,Passé simple,Passé

composé are quite good also the Imperfect subjunctive so please do not try to insult me as if you are superior.Stick to the issue and do not try to detract from my main theme. Also I would not involve myself in such a purile program(me)[/quote]

David - without adding fuel to the flames, I got the impression Sweets was simply asking you a question... how is your subjunctive getting on... maybe I missed something but I saw nothing to suggest she was insulting you?  Or is there some history I'm missing?

On the other hand I do feel somewhat miffed by some of your comments... and I also wonder if we're actually talking about the same programme?  Perhaps you could explain what it is that you find so shameful and purile?  And, maybe offer some ideas as to what the programme should include?  Or maybe explain the programmes that you do enjoy?  I'm really not trying to make light of your comments - just trying to understand them.

Thank you,

I do not believe she was just asking a question I think she was trying to be clever

hoping to undermine my inteligence.I am more intelligent than she thinks I can assure you.

I was watching the same programme and find that the people in the programme showed immature and trivial behavior. If the programme concentrated more on the British intergration with the French e.g. with the Salle de Fete,Shopping,Boules,cycling, walking etc then we may obtain a better picture in the eyes of the French people and not be shown as the 'Brits in France'

I hope this gives you a little insight why I feel the present programme does not meet this criteria.

DW I sort of agree with some of your comments about these programs. BUT why are you saying anything about 'french' and grammar. The french have a word, in fact a verb, taquiner. Smile man, what's the point in argueing about decortiquering a language. I got by perfectly well in partial ignorance of such things. It's amazing, nay remarkable, what I did with my french a la vache espagnole.  

These programs, what can I say. They make me feel slightly embarrassed, I find myself wincing and they put me off visiting these places.

EDIT, I'll take that back about taquiner. Looking over the posts, looks like a question was just a question and you are being trop sensible! Don't take things to heart so.

Thank you,

I agree with you, however when Some Brits are challenged in France there first line of defence is the Grammar. I have friends in France and there main pleasure is to correct the pronunciation. I am used to that. Please do not be put of visiting these places the Dordogne and I must say all of France is a splendid Country that I woiuld commend to all.

Well as suggested I have given it a try for three weeks now and my feelings are just the same. With a few, and I mean a few, exceptions I just didn't like the people. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with them in the UK let alone in France just because they are English speaking. The farmer chap was interesting but then English (and Irish) farmers owning farms and working them in France is nothing new. Since 2000 France has actually encouraged and given grants to English, Irish and other nationality farmers to come and set up in France  About 20 plus per year have been arriving in France and setting up or taking over farms. They get a cash 'gift' for coming and massive grants are available to help them get started. So picking out just one is not exceptional.

I see the much discussed integration question has come yet again! Yes it's good to integrate otherwise we are doing exactly what many complain about of immigrants going to the UK. The thing is some seem to loose sight of the fact that they are English and the French will always put the French first so basically unless you come over as a young child and go through the school system etc your never actually properly integrate and even then you will always be thought of English first however well you speak the language. The other thing I notice is the English who, when asked, how good is your French say they have an 'A' level or whatever. I have often seen these people talking to French people who's eyes sort of roll in to the back of their head and often don't understand what the person is saying. Not a slight on any individual, just a general observation.  I can't say other than that which is only by observation's because I have no problem confessing that I personally slaughter the language but I do try very hard. Mind you there is a certain amount of pleasure in getting it right. Just yesterday I gave some complicated directions to a French guy and he understood me, I was well pleased and felt very self satisfied, just hope he found the place OK. [;-)]

So in short I don't think it's a well balanced program, rather like the one last night about Benefit Cheats in the UK and the Tripadvisor program the other night. However I would not belittle those that watch and enjoy the program, whatever rocks your boat as it were but its not for me.

[quote user="idun"]

These programs, what can I say. They make me feel slightly embarrassed, I find myself wincing and they put me off visiting these places.

[/quote]

Idun - I'm going to ask you the same question that I asked David... as I really dont understand... what has made you feel embarrassed?  And in what way... why do you need to feel embarrassed... in front of whom?  Sorry I'm just trying to understand as I'm not seeing things to make me wince and contrary to you I've seen lots of places and thought, mmm... that's pretty... I'd like to go there for a visit.  Maybe you can point out the actual parts of the programme that do this?  (also, why are you still watching if you dislike it so much [:)] )

I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to understand this kind of comment... I can understand that it's not your kind of programme...  I would imagine Eastenders and Strickly would also be no-go areas for you (I dont watch either) ... but can you just explain, which people... which footage... which places... as I think we're watching different things?  There have been a few eccentric people of course (as in life) but on the whole I've found folks to be very nice.  And, I have seen folks having meals with their neighbours, working with french colleagues and even for french employers, going to French dog shows... french fetes, french markets, providing a service to french folks... I've seen all of each programme so maybe you and David have only seen small clips and have the wrong impression? 

It sounds like I'm trying to preach or convert everyone... I'm really not.  I get it that this kind of TV is not for everyone and I respect that... I just feel a bit sad for the people in the programme who have done nothing to warrent such comments from so many people on so many forums... personally I just feel it's a bit mean.

Clearly we're not all going to like the same things and we're all different - but I do get the feeling that this is just an easy target as it's Brits in the Dordogne (apart from that it's Brits in SW France in reality).   To be honest, the world is a big place and if this corner of France doesn't float your boat then there are lots of other places to visit and countless people to meet.   There are many things I see on the TV that make me feel embarrassed but watching a few folks making a new life for themselves in an honest, hardworking way is not one of the things I find difficult to watch.

[quote user="Rose"]    .....   I've seen all of each programme ...  [/quote]

The last program I saw was that of the choir master retiring. Unfortunately I was called away from the sitting room about five minutes or so before the 'appetiser' for next week. My question is : Is there a next week ? or was that the last in the serie.

[quote user="Quillan"]

...With a few, and I mean a few, exceptions I just didn't like the people. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with them in the UK let alone in France just because they are English speaking...

[/quote]

Hang on, isn't that what I said on p5 of this 36-page topic when you accused me of stereotyping? [;-)]

[quote user="David Watton"]Its a pity that you can only criticise(ze) 'personal choice', a spelliing of a word that is quite correct. The fact is that this program(me) is still offensive to a large group of the British population who are trying to intergrate with there French neighbours.[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="David Watton"]Again all your defences revolve around small grammatical errors trying to diminish the discussion.I agree that the grammar was not quite correct and the spelling incorrect, but don't be afraid to take me on as I am very capable of fighting my quarter. Try again.[/quote]

Please don't

Its a forum for discussion not an arena to start a battle.......

The fact is David is  that we are all different and allowed an opinion, you don't like the program, other people do - that's life, preaching integration is pretty boring and frankly has been done to death here......

PS If you use Internet Explorer www.iespell.com is useful

[quote user="Will"][quote user="Quillan"]

...With a few, and I mean a few, exceptions I just didn't like the people. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with them in the UK let alone in France just because they are English speaking...

[/quote]

Hang on, isn't that what I said on p5 of this 36-page topic when you accused me of stereotyping? [;-)]

[/quote]

Yes but in a slightly different way. There are French in my village that I wouldn't mix with here or anywhere else. As an example, perhaps a person from my village who I wouldn't mix with normally has their boat moored a few berths down from mine, that does not mean we go out for meal's and go drinking together whilst at the port. Another example, there is an English Dinner Club active in our nearest town and they meet every Wednesday (because it's market day), once I was asked if my wife and I would like to 'join' and I asked if it was OK to bring a French friend. I was told it was only for English people so I politely said it was not for me. I was then accused of being anti English and am now snubbed by some of them which is great for me really because I don't want to talk to them anyway. Now I can't understand why you just can't have a luncheon club and have a good mix of both French and English (and any other nationality come to that), why do they feel a need to have an English only dinner club. They also go drinking together every Sunday lunch. I think they have missed a golden opportunity to integrate more with the locals. I make friends with people because I like them not because of their nationality, colour, religion, sex or sexual orientation, perhaps I am the odd one out, perhaps you are supposed to stick within your own nationality group and not mix with the locals.

[quote user="David Watton"]Its a pity that you can only criticise(ze) 'personal choice', a spelliing of a word that is quite correct..[/quote]

s in the UK, z in the US.  However, that was not the error to which I referred - I would not have wasted typing time on just one!

I apologise - it was indeed a cheap shot.  However, although I'm not a great speller myself either, I do find it very difficult to take seriously, the opinions of somebody who writes in a shoddy fashion - be it spelling, grammar or presentation.  We all make minor mistakes all the time but your post was rather peppered with them. My father taught English and I spent my childhood being corrected.  So sue me.

You just might have found that your point would have been better recieved if you had  presented it with a little more care, that's all.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="David Watton"]Again all your defences revolve around small grammatical errors trying to diminish the discussion.I agree that the grammar was not quite correct and the spelling incorrect, but don't be afraid to take me on as I am very capable of fighting my quarter. Try again.[/quote]

Please don't

Its a forum for discussion not an arena to start a battle.......

The fact is David is  that we are all different and allowed an opinion, you don't like the program, other people do - that's life, preaching integration is pretty boring and frankly has been done to death here......

PS If you use Internet Explorer www.iespell.com is useful

[/quote]

Ah, RH, a very sensible post and, if I may say so, very "mod-esque"!

In deferring to your good sense, I have changed my thingie-that-you-put-on-the-end-of-your-post (oops, never can remember what it's actually called[:D])

En plus, I've made up my mind, now don't confuse me with the facts......[8-|]

I am sure you will all be pleased but this is my final post. I have noticed that there are quite e few people who have posted a large amount of comments over the last few years.They amount to between 3 to 5 posts per day. I would suggest that instead of wasting their time posting on stupid forums

they enjoy their time more productively. My own posting was a wind up, you fell for it.