Missing France :-(

I think we can safely leave it for others to decide who's touching whose nerve.[:D]

If I ever move to Kent, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I'll continue splitting my time (fairly equally, I have to say) between my home in the UK and my Brian in France. Pretentious, moi?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]....and another nerve touched.....very interesting :-) Yes I do call you pretentious and, no I don't see it....I only have one place I call 'home', - nothing to do with mere bricks and mortar - how crass. My observation, not yours ! Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Great - that's true for you and I accept it, so why can you not accept that it isn't true for me and plenty of other people? The interesting and really rather elementary thing about people that you appear not to have noticed as yet is that we aren't all alike and we don't all think the same way. Dismissing the sincerely-held opinions of others with derogatory words like pretentious and crass doesn't make you right, you know.

I think the use of terms such as crass and pretentious says more about the peson using the expresions.I really can't see the problem with having 2 homes, even if you visit only once a year . To me home is an emotional concept not a physical entity.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]??? not sure what you're on about here......especially you JK ! Maybe you're replying to a different thread...?

I guess it's about the fact that I only call one place 'home'. Therefore I don't really understand how anyone can have more than one place they call home at one time.....? is that possible????

No big deal - just a perception issue ......

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

From your recent posts, it would seem that it is a 'big deal' to you.

You seem to be in the minority on this forum, as other posters have stated that they have two homes and call them both home.

For the record, we have had our french HOME for 10 years,longer than we have lived in our present UK home, but to us they are both home,wwhichever one we happen to be in at the time.

wow - nerves being touched everywhere.....:-)

Being in a minority doesn't automatically mean one is wrong. I have my view which I own, you (as in vous) have your view's which you 'share' (aka 'we all think.....'). Behaviour more akin to the playground.....

Could just be my English that isn't up to scratch - imagine that?

Chiefluvvie

Hmm! Chiedfluvvie, I feel a big hole is just around the corner. [blink]

Shall we all just agree to differ? We could carry on argueing this until the cows come home, each to his own and all that.[;-)]

Edit: Apologies to Chiefluvvie, I must have hit two buttons at once (QWERTY keyboard) and got your name wrong.[:$]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]wow - nerves being touched everywhere.....:-)

Being in a minority doesn't automatically mean one is wrong. I have my view which I own, you (as in vous) have your view's which you 'share' (aka 'we all think.....'). Behaviour more akin to the playground.....

Could just be my English that isn't up to scratch - imagine that?

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

I think you grossly overestimate the importance of your opinion to me.  I've had my nerves touched by experts, luvvie, and you're not even coming close.[:D]

I'm not speaking for anyone else, only my view, which I (like you) am happy not to share with anyone. Like my home and Brian, which aren't "time shares", factually or technically.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Hmm! Chiedfluvvie, I feel a big hole is just around the corner. [blink]

Shall we all just agree to differ? We could carry on argueing this until the cows come home, each to his own and all that.[;-)]

[/quote]

Yes but how many homes do the cows have !

DFTT

I believe the expression is 'Home is where the heart is'.... they haven't yet come up with 'Home is the postcode at which one is normally resident when not on vacation'

I noticed the remark re the Scots...yes many of us feel  fortunate in that we also call our home nation 'Home'...while the language used is English ...the sentiment is truly Scottish. I have nothing but respect for fellow residents of the British Isles who feel the same about their country.

Sounds as though 3 houses Chiedfluvvie  needs to have things pigeon holed in their life, I suspect that is an indictment upon their state of mind rather than the more relaxed majority.

The claimed 'right' to be in a fan club of one kind of says it all.

There's folks who can start a fight in an empty room...it's an extraordinary talent to do so and still come off second best.

And yes I am teasing

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]wow - nerves being touched everywhere.....:-) Being in a minority doesn't automatically mean one is wrong. I have my view which I own, you (as in vous) have your view's which you 'share' (aka 'we all think.....'). Behaviour more akin to the playground..... Could just be my English that isn't up to scratch - imagine that? Chiefluvvie[/quote]

ROFL! [:D] Nothing like being in a majority of one, luvvie. [:D] I also own my views, just as I own my two homes.  The fact that other people have similar views ansd similar homes doesn't mean we share them.

Anyway, off back to the playground now, before Teacher rings the bell....... [;-)]

And the title of this thread is Missing France. Four years on Wednesday since I got back to the UK.

Do I miss France, no. I miss friends.

Did I miss the UK when I moved to France, no I missed friends and family.

I am very adaptable and live where I live. I don't understand 'dream home'. A cave'd do with comforts, I do understand comfort and easy living and a good bed.

Where would I live if I had lots of money, lots and lots of money. Looking over the sea in a town or city, if possible. Watching the sea would be the dream, rather than the property.

I've just got back from the UK.  The first time I've been back for a year (normally it's 6 months max.)  Like Idun, it's the people I miss rather than the place although there are some landscapes and locations which I adore and miss also- the Forest of Bowland, the Long Mynd, Bodmin Moor, the Cheviots - the kinds of wild and wooly moorland landscapes which I have yet to find in France (I'm still looking - I don't say they don't exist). 

I did miss the peace of my French home and I missed my cats.  I stayed with good friends in the middle of woodland but even so they have neighbours whose dogs barked and whose kids you could hear playing in the garden - I could certainly do without them and it would take a lot for me to give up the isolation I enjoy here.    I don't have the luxury of being able to live in both countries but I hope I don't resent those who do (as long as they pay their taxes as they should).  If I had pots and pots of money I would buy a house around Arnage corner  overlooking the circuit so I wouldn't have to fight for decent camping and grandstand  tickets every bloomin' year....[:D]

We know some people who moved several time in France and then found an isolated retreat. Then the farm on the other side of the valley bought an awful lot of guinea fowl and they ended up with a home noiser than a city centre.

Sometimes the countryside is not that quiet, but it can be. We stayed with some friends just after we got to France and there was no noise in their house at night, none. And I could not sleep, the silence was oppresive. Husband was off like a light, I must have dozed and felt awful the next day.

[Www] You wouldn't have been able to hear any kids for the guinea fowl. In fact you wouldn't have been able to hear anything for the guinea fowl. Apart from the paon, is there a worse sounding bird?

I did visit, we had to sit inside in summer[:D]

Idun you've reminded me that when I was a child most of the farmers in our area used to buy a few guinea fowl in 'back end' (autumn) to act as a kind of burglar alarm for the more valuable geese and cockerels they were fattening for Christmas.

As an insomniac I find the cough of a cow in the night rather companionable. My visitors are often surprised by the noise and the 'fresh country smells' so beloved of the adverts.

Hoddy

The soundtrack to my life is always the same. Birds.

This end, it's the big tin ones. That end, it's primarily collared doves with a fair few other varieties thrown in.

Oh, and traffic. This end, the odd car and (when the big tin birds aren't flying) the distant hum of the M4. That end, it's tractors, the odd car and the occasional boy racer tearing up the main road on a souped-up scooter.

Silence makes me very uneasy.[:D] I had about a week of insomnia brought about by the Icelandic Ash Cloud...

One thing I miss which is easily sorted, in fact, are my shutters - great for both noise and light reduction.  Why haven't these practical things (and their accompanying washable inward-swinging windows) been adopted in the UK? 

I always go to sleep with the TV on (timer set to switch it off when I've dozed) and when I'm away take my DVD player with me as I find it really hard to kip without.  Cars, well, I can sleep within feet of the circuit during the night at LM when the race is on but when there's a safety car and they slow down it always wakes me up!

I swore I'd have shutters when I moved back. The trouble is that everyone likes their windows on the 'outside' wall and opening outwards in the UK and my double glazing man didn't like the idea of my windows opening inwards either, said they'd have to be classed as 'doors' if they opened inwards......... I cannot make any sense of that at all.

I loved my shutters, but I am managing sans as it happens. My current wish is to get one at my kitchen window rather than bedroom.

The other thing about shutters is that the windows don't need washing so much, and I'm used to doing them very infrequently.

Tilt and turn windows been in the UK for years. 'French windows'  not considered very 'secure' by insurers and you will pay more as a premium for having them. Shutters have been maligned from the point of view of 'means of escape' in the event of fire however shear bolts could take care of that. I  do like having windows open and shutters closed on a warm summers day...lovely

As for sounds...Coops I am one of eight and have 5 kids and three Grandchildren...I have mastered 'tuning out'! Although hearing that Aprillia on full chat through the night while 'tenting it' at Aire Rouge.....brill.

French smashed out of their brains holding their sports 600 wide open whilst stationary bouncing the throttle against the limiter to promote backfires.....Durrrrrr...bent valve anyone....

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

I have mastered 'tuning out'!

[/quote]I've come to the conclusion that we all manage this in different ways and on different things.  Whilst a kid only has to squeek to send my blood pressure ceiling-wards, a 'Vette at full throttle is like music to me.  I guess noise is like food, what some people find pleasant, others find hateful - I actually know people who like cucumber too.[+o(].