One of my neighbours is really really horrible

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is  tough when you have neighbours you dont get on with, but she has her view and her reasons for it, and if you find it hard to respect those feelings then best for you and the dog (who looks gorgeous by the way) to steer clear. Who knows what has happened in her life that she seems  so enbittered. 

Likewise idun and Q have a different perspective .. it might not be what you want to hear but we're all different and have different perspectives - thats life...[:)]

[quote user="Georgina"]Do you know Idun, whenever I have posted on here (rarely), you always post in a negative manner and totally unhelpful.
. I should introduce you to my neighbour you would get on well.
[/quote]

I have followed this thread with some interest and at first, had sympathy for Georgina. But the above comment (following a couple of other slightly OTT ones) is just a nasty personal attack, really bitchy. I am glad I don't have your neighbour Georgina, but I am also glad you are not MY neighbour either.

Well Georgina I find your comments outstanding. Firstly I made it quite clear I was not talking about you at all in my last post. I was in fact aiming it at a question somebody asked about dogs having to be on a lead and others who are scared of dogs. I was trying to point out that there are two sides when it comes to dogs, one side loves them the other hates them and that both groups should respect each other. So if you thought the post was aimed at you then your wrong but on the other hand if your one of the irresponsible group, which by your comments I didn't think you were, then as they say "if the cap fits".

A few people have given you sound advice, just ignore the person. Don't be rude, still say hallo when you pass, keep your dog on a lead when passing and leave it at that. Her loss not yours.

[quote user="Georgina"]Sorry I didn't come here for advice at all........ just a discussion (: The subject, it really was nothing to do with DOGS, but neighbours. 

[/quote]

So the matter was discussed and people on here gave their point of view. [8-|]

[quote user="Georgina"]I have a small dog who everyone loves BUT HER and today we walked past her house and my dog just called in the entrance to say hello to her (I normally have it attached but she needed to run). She was just saying hello.  I called her immediately when I saw the neighbour. She said she would call the police if it did it again. 

[/quote]

And if you read the thread quite a few people asked about dogs after your comment above and that should they (dogs) not be on a lead. Not every comment is centered round you. People read something and ask a question and people answer.

As you don't want advice those that offered it were obviously wasting their time.

The path of this thread says it all really.  There are those who get wound up and over-react to everything, misinterpreting things and twisting their meaning, and others who shrug things off and just get on with life.  Your neighbour may well have taken some perfectly innocent action or remark and over-reacted to it, or - and I'm not suggesting this is the case as I don't know you at all - it may be the other way around, it's not easy to tell when we only know one side of the story.  She may believe you have hurt her in some way in the past and unless you ask her outright what the problem is which she has with you, you may never find out what it is.

All in all, I think Paul is right.  It sounds to me as if this woman, your neighbour, is just miserable and struggles to make normal relationships with anybody (as did mine - her three sons were all away at school and I think winding the neighbours up was her reaction to having nothing meaningful in her life apart from the money her husband bought home and spent on more and more land they didn't need; more horses she never rode and more toys she never played with.  What's more, if she read this thread I doubt she'd recognise herself as it was the rest of us who ruined her life in the country, not the reverse.)You need to rise above it and feel smug because you're the happy one who gets on with people and she is clearly miserable.

It's funny but I reckon I get on OK with most people (not that I'd call them my friends, just in general) but the ones I don't seem to have issues with everybody they meet - and it's always the other person's fault/personality defect - never their own.  But heck, that's their problem, not mine. 

Coops is right, the only way to find out what your neighbours problem is to ask her. Our "problem" here is. The lady opposite. She has several times threatened people who have parked in places she deems unsuitable and been aggressive.

Eventually she decided to erect a six foot fence on her front boundary, which is contrary to our council planning regs. The council contacted her and when she saw my nice neighbour she made a scene.....thinking my neighbour had reported her.

My neighbour took the bull by the horns and asked her outright just what she had ever done to deserve these tirades - it turned out she felt my neighbour had 'blown hot and cold with her' something the neighbour was blissfully unaware of!

Frankly she is still a pain in the butt, but at least we know why!

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Georgina"]I have a small dog who everyone loves BUT HER and today we walked past her house and my dog just called in the entrance to say hello to her (I normally have it attached but she needed to run). She was just saying hello.  I called her immediately when I saw the neighbour. She said she would call the police if it did it again. 

[/quote]

And if you read the thread quite a few people asked about dogs after your comment above and that should they (dogs) not be on a lead. Not every comment is centered round you. People read something and ask a question and people answer.

As you don't want advice those that offered it were obviously wasting their time.

[/quote]

Oh Quillan you are a dog with a bone haha

Well as I said earlier, no one likes her anyway and I have had some neighbours come to my house to say just that.

But my point is that I really don't understand what it is she wants. She just wants to complain.  My first experience of her was when she lit a fire right next to my garage where I keep my fuel. She then poured petrol on it and I had my washing out.  Well you really don't know the other stuff she has done and there comes a time when you cannot reason with these people. I am shrugging it off but i just wanted to discuss it.

I suppose I came on here to see if anyone could give me an insight into this as I was beginning to think it was because I was English.

[quote user="Georgina"]I was beginning to think it was because I was English.
[/quote]That may well be the case.  I think there is some resentment, often based on ignorance, about people coming over and using the French health services/taking French jobs etc etc - a bit like the attitude of some Brits back in the UK, n'est-ce pas? Not a lot you can do about your nationality though!

Georgina

An interesting thread. You had my sympathy at the start but you suddenly became attacking of those who offered a viewpoint. Perhaps you are extremely upset over this woman but are you also, unwittingly, showing hostility to her.

As for others teling you that they find her the same perhaps they are just agreeing with you for agreement sake?

Your dog is possibly a red rag to a bull.

The advice 'ask her what you have done' seems very sensible.

To lighten things, earlier you asked 'why does she not like me when we have not spoken'. Cannot remember where the line came from but the reply was 'it saves time'.

Paul

[quote user="Georgina"]I was beginning to think it was because I was English.[/quote]

Could have been worse - you could have been Parisien!

I think that you are on a hiding to nothing in trying to understand her mindset. Some people are just like that - life's too short to try to rehabilitate them.

I agree with your last post,Paul.

In the OP's original post she says:-

'(I normally have her attached but she needed to run)

What was so different this day?? If she is normally attached,she should have been,surely the owner dictates to the dog not the other way around.

OP then goes on to say:-

I just said to her, Madame my dog loves people,unlike you,my dog is kind,unlike you.

Surely you should have said:-

Im so sorry, but she just loves people

then re-attached her to the lead and gone on walk.

In my earlier post, I just tried to point out that some people just dont like dogs and feel that other people should keep them under control,which is only fair, also have you considered that she may have thought your dog was going to p*** up her gate,even though she didnt,another not very nice thing if you dont have/like dogs.

My neighbour has threatened to shoot a certain nearby dog that has killed a few of his chickens. (Not ours.) And the postman is reputed to try to run over certain dogs.

I doubt if there would be any comeback if they did what they threaten, as the law is very lazy around here.

I live about 12miles from the OP and I know the locals, especially the over 65's are very xenophobic here against everyone who is not a born and bred local Breton. The town the OP lives in got 8% vote for LePen the other sunday, my own commune had an 11% vote and similar around all the other communes in the agglo we come under. On a lighter note, perhaps she had a wartime visit from an Uncle Albert (Fools and Horses special when they went to scatter his ashes in Normandy and found he had been populating the town when he was on the run from the germans).

If I had someone like that living close,I would personally try and found why they behave as they do or just generally rise above it regardless of bonfires etc,they soon get fed trying it on and no one wants to spar with them.