Getting back into the Uk, can it get any worse?

Came back via Calais yesterday at around 4pm.

45 minutes queue for passports, 15 minutes queue for tickets, another 25 minutes for immigration/security, then a further 30 minutes at Dover for UK customs, where around 15 jobsworths stood around giving every car hard stares as we passed through.

Welcome to the UK[:(]

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

45 minutes queue for passports, 15 minutes queue for tickets, another 25 minutes for immigration/security, then a further 30 minutes at Dover for UK customs, where around 15 jobsworths stood around giving every car hard stares as we passed through.

[/quote]

Phew......thank god you were wearing a watch ,

and had your pocket calculator with you!

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

[/quote]

I'm all right Jack, I live in France with no need or desire to return to England.

John

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I presume you mean "went" back and I wonder which ferry you used ?

With Norfolk Line all but the UK customs check is completed at Dunkerque and I've never had a hold up at Dover UK despite lugging a large box trailer back and forth.   

[/quote]

Nope, "came back" as we still live in the UK[:(].

We used the 1820 Calais-Dover, P&O.

NO holdups attribtable to P&O, ALL down to UK passports, security, customs etc etc etc .

Edit: Last line of this post removed.   Hoddy

I still do not really understand why passport and customs controls cannot be made on French soil, as they are with the tunnel, so that on arrival at the UK port, you can just drive off the ferry and get on your way.  I'm sure there's a good reason - theoretically at least - but what is it?

we  also came back on Friday via  P & O. We thought it would make a change for the kids as we usually use the tunnel- only took 1 hour to unload and pass through customs- now I know why I use the tunnel - i also think that they saved all of the roadworks on the M25 for friday night.

It's hard enough to return after so long in rural France these things just give us more to feel blue about!! 

[quote user="cooperlola"]I still do not really understand why passport and customs controls cannot be made on French soil, as they are with the tunnel, so that on arrival at the UK port, you can just drive off the ferry and get on your way.  I'm sure there's a good reason - theoretically at least - but what is it?[/quote]

Well here's my theory - Dover being a port means that you can arrive there from just about anywhere, therefore you need the facilities to check people.  The tunnel of course you can only come from one place, therefore you only have to check one end.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I assume something of the sort but then how do you explain Ernie's experiences of Dunkerque, above?[/quote]

I did say theory - it's been a while since using Dover, the last couple of years exclusively using the tunnel, but do remember some crossings where there were at times "nobody at home" in the customs.  It doesn't of course explain never having a hold up.  There is no doubt it would be convenient, but seems unlikely this could be cost effective with several ports feeding into Dover, plus all the other possible points of departure.

We came back to Dover on 29th via P & O and there was no delay in Calais and no-one stopped us at all in Dover, we just drove out.

(We had booked a £25 Speedferry crossing but our car broke down and when I phoned to re-book they said there was no availability for a week!)