driving from Calais to Limoges

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Going "backwards" you should be OK, Derek.  Just don't come off the Autoroute anywhere around here or you'll spend ages at the payage getting back on.  Race ends these days at 15.00 so most of those heading home on Sunday should be well on their way by the time you get here.

Again with Rouen you ought to be fine going in the opposite direction at that time of the evening, even though you'll hit the first batch of escapees.

[/quote]

Thanks...  I'll be on the good old.....   Calais >> Rouen >> Evreux >> Dreux>> Chartres >> Orleans >> etc route so not going too close to Le Mans but I was worried about "collateral" traffic.

Derek, if you're up for it on a Sunday afternnoon/evening why not give the Paris route a shot ?

We used to do exactly the same route as you propose then one day, having bags of time and no trailer, we took a chance on Paris and have never looked back.

You dont need Satnav nor even a map, just head From Calais to Lille then to Paris and follow the well marked directions to Bordeaux, simples [;-)]

Calais, Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, (or is it the other way around?), Chartres, Orleans, Vierzon, Limoges. Tolls around 20 euros, slowish traffic on single roads (Dreux, Evreux, Chartres) through smaller villages but usually smooth travel. Last bit to Limoges usually good and clear, - we travel overnight usually. Safe driving.

AnOther, Wooly....  Decisions, decisions. I'm on my own for this trip so I won't have my ace navigator (SWMBO).

Wooly, what's the deal with increased peage charges. I wasn't aware they changed depending on the time of travel?

I've got a feeling I'm still going to be undecided when I roll off the ferry and I'll end up making my decision as I drive away from the port.

Yesterday someone interested in this thread emailed me. I tried to reply several times but my emails bounced back.

I can't PM you because I don't know who you are.

May I suggest that you try again to post to the thread or send me a PM which I would be able to reply to.

Thanks.

Hoddy

I second that, Pachapap, but then I would, wouldn't I?  Perfect for being a lovely part of the world and forty minutes from you know where.....

There is a Park Centre at the Manoir du Courboyer which sells local produce, has a beautiful old manor house to look around, plus great walks and a number of different local breeds of farm animal around the place.  It really does feel very natural and not at all "manufactured."  Lovely spot.

• 3 weeks later...
Hoddy, was away and it was me that was trying to send a message.Can you tell me what is the best ferry Dover-Calais time to get in order to avoid the worst traffic.We are hoping to drive for about 4 hours as i guess from reading the forum that Limoges is about 8 hour drive-spend the night somewhere.What is the problem with Rouen Hoddy? and should we use our Sat Nav when we reach Calais or rely on the signs.Many thanks,

fairies - We always time our ferry to avoid the worst of the M25 so I really don't know about Rouen although I guess that, as with any city, it might be better to avoid the rush hour. On the other hand with slower traffic you have more time to read the road signs.

We just follow the road signs, as I said earlier in the thead I have a very high opinion of French road signs.

On leaving Calais we follow the signs for Paris. We generally stop at la Baie de Somme services for a coffee and to check that we have change for tolls.

Shortly after the services the road to Rouen separates from the road to Paris. After that we just follow the signs for Rouen.

You come into Rouen through a tunnel and quite soon the lanes are well signposted. Follow the signs for Paris again.

You will join the motorway for Paris at Junc 21 and come off at Junc 19 heading for Evreux, Dreux and Chartres. After that it is virtually impossible to go wrong.

We have never used satnav in France. You could always ignore it if you didn't like what it said I suppose.

I think people worry about Rouen because it's the only big place on the route. As you can see from this thread many posters here prefer this route.

Hoddy

[quote user="DerekJ"]

I've got a feeling I'm still going to be undecided when I roll off the ferry and I'll end up making my decision as I drive away from the port.

[/quote]

I tossed the coin and it came out in favour of the Rouen route. Despite the Le Mans 24 Hours there was no problem at all. A very easy drive although plenty of contraflows all the way down.

Hi - we take the A16 from Calais heading for Boulogne/Rouen, at Abbeville we turn off onto the A28 to Rouen, the toll there is 7e30, through the tunnel into Rouen and then follow the signs for the A13 motorway,this takes you through the industrial estate, lots of traffic lights but a straight road, on leaving the industrial estate you go across a roundabout (concrete cows on), then across another roundabout - the road then splits either A13 Paris or A13 Caen, follow Paris, the turn off for Evereux,Dreux,Chartres is only a few miles and a toll payable is 2e, this road is non motorway but dual carriageway for most of the way, once in Chartres follow the signs for Orleans, this will take you to the motorway A10 at Allaines just North of Orleans, follow this motorway until the exit for Vierzon (A71 motorway) once at Vierzon, take the A20 motorway to Limoges/Toulouse another toll here 10e50

Our journey time is Rouen 2hrs, cross to Orleans 2-3hrs, Orleans to Bessines (north of Limoges) 2 hrs.

We go by Eurotunnel catching the 6am train, this gets us into Rouen about 930, so missing rush hour, Orleans by 1230ish and get to Bessines by 230 in time for the shop to open, get some shopping and on to our house.

Going home we get a 2pm crossing, leaving Limousin about 6am

Note: On the return journey the toll 10e50 is payable at Allaines (A10 turnoff for Chartres) and there is no person at the tollbooth just automatic payment - this is very easy as there are English instructions, I always try to have the correct money ready.

Sorry cant help with overnight accomodation as we always do it in one go, but then we live in SE so only a short trip to the tunnel

Toll charges accurate as we came home yesterday - another cold,wet trip

Driving down from Newcastle, we have always stopped soon after Calais and over the years have discovered a nice quiet safe hotel with restaurant situated in Marquise (a couple exits after Calais). The hotel is called "Le Guindal" and there is ample parking space for free. It is next to a 24/24 Petrol station supermarket which is ideal for cheap petrol. You wouldn't spend a fortnight holiday there but for an overnight it's perfect.

This year we are crossing Hull - Rotterdam for the first time.

I wonder if the Calais/Rouen/Orleans/A20 route is the best choice then.....any ideas??

Thank you so much for that information and i will certainly use it.I suppose the reason we are having a stop over is the fact that we can leave Friday but not booked in until Sat.I think i will get early crossing from Dover that would probabl;y leave me going through the Paris area around 11-12m.d and it should be fairly quiet then.I would then look to reach Orleans unless somebody gives me a better place for stop over around 2pm by your reckoning.On the way back i usually book late ferry[never from France before]as the roads are quieter this end.Thanks again-the rain i assume was at the French end.Hope we do not get much of that as i usually only expect rain this time of the year-all around in Ireland.x

Yes the rain was the french end, had a miserable week weather wise, cold,rain,wind, but between showers we did manage to get the grass cut and brambles under control, typical tho, checked weather in our area for this week and its late 20s/early 30s grrrrrrrrrr

Spent August there last year and blue skies every day mmmmm