EuroStarRollingStock

Le Figaro which is a french right wing newspaper informs that EuroStar are considering the purchase of  pretty german trains to replace some of the ugly french ones.[:)]

[IMG]http://cache.20minutes.fr/img/photos/20mn/2010-07/2010-07-22/article_velaro.jpg[/IMG]

I rather feel that this story is somewhat wide of the mark, i.e. rowlocks.

The current stock is barely 20 yrs old: it is due for refurbishment and I seem to remember reading that this is scheduled for the next year or two. That would take the units through until (say) 2020.

The truth is that brand new units are unaffordable in the immediate future. When replacement plans become a reality, they'll no longer be restricted by the British loading gauge (i.e. height, hence the low profile of the current Eurostar units) because the HS1 line was built to cope with the TGV units that we're accustomed to seeing. By then, they'll probably seriously consider Duplex units of the type that you see on TGV Sud-Est.

What is a strong possibility is the passage of French TGV and German ICE trains direct in to St Pancras from the continent in competition with Eurostar. 

• 2 months later...

It was generous of you P not to ram my earlier post back down my throat ![blink]

In my defence, I was sort-of right. I've just read the press report on the BBC website and it seems that the order is for just 10 trainsets to supplement the existing 31 which are indeed going to be refurbished. 

It seems that with the large increase in traffic and with the opening up of the route to competition, Eurostar feel that they can't afford to wait until the existing fleet is due for replacement. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Noticed a press report yesterday where Monsewer Borloo; he wot cant count; commented on Siemens getting the contract.

Hard Luck ALSTHOM.[:D]

[/quote]

Looks like the "Constellation" of EPRs has hit a bump in the nuclear road.

Hard Luck EDF [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

''Chris Cheek, a rail industry analyst, said the move would further reinforce the case for long-distance train travel at the expense of the aeroplane.''

When you facture in the hassle of parking and getting through airport security with all the time that takes, I guess the only things left to check would be suitcase size, and cost of a drink and sandwich[:)] . . .  hasn't been any terrorist threats on the tunnel has there? [Www]

[quote user="just john "]

. . .  hasn't been any terrorist threats on the tunnel has there? [Www]

[/quote]

I doubt if there would be, as that seems to be the first choice port of entry, and it's difficult enough hanging underneath a lorry without carrying explosives.[:D] 

Personally I would love to see Eurostar lose their monopoly. I have been pro tunnel from the start, unlike most of the UK, but Eurostar seem to despise their customers, not to mention that dreadful 'Rail Europe' booking site. The sooner they get a hiding the better.

[quote user="Etoile"]Personally I would love to see Eurostar lose their monopoly[/quote]

Agreed: their Marketing is diabolical & they've failed to capitalise on 'product advantage' over the last couple of years (convenience, pricing, etc).   

[quote user="Etoile"]Eurostar seem to despise their customers[/quote]

From personal experience, I don't share that view. They've had their problems over the last year or so (as have the airlines), but recompense for messed-up journeys has been quite quick & more than generous.

[quote user="Etoile"]not to mention that dreadful 'Rail Europe' booking site. [/quote]

Agreed: it's rotten. I know which trains I want to travel on and simply go in to the local SNCF boutique where they can 'force' the transaction and give me the best price, not just for the TGV, but Eurostar too.

[quote user="Etoile"]I have been pro tunnel from the start, unlike most of the UK[/quote]

Well, I was one of those 'why do they want to build a tunnel - the ferries are ok.

Having bought a house in France and travelling over 5 times a year there would have to be an extremely good reason why I would now use the ferries.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"] there would have to be an extremely good reason why I would now use the ferries [/quote]

Well four years sleeping, but now that printer cartridges are banned and the terrorists have no openings on Air travel, perhaps that's the good reason to use the ferries[;-)]