Everyday English words in everyday French

SaligoBay

You jest, but what else can you do quietly, and in artificial light, without ruining your eyesight?

This English thing is getting to be an obsession, saw MORE today, in the Montpellier Gazette.  It was a kind of "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" thing, and they called it TOP and FLOP.

And yesterday an elderly lady I know, 80 she is, kept saying things were 'cool' or not 'cool'.  Didn't quite expect that from her, but there you go.

And there is one thing that I hear at the moment that I hate.  I have several friends who go to line dancing and they call it 'country'. Only they don't say that, they say it in a very odd way. The 'ou' is said as a very strong 'U' sound, as a northerner like me would sort of say it, the 'nt' is also emphasised strongly, the 'ry' is almost a whisper as it is said so softly. The whole effect startling me every time. I'd type it out, but you'd only see x's.

someone as being 'speciale'

Gay, it can refer to a person's sexual preference, though the word is also commonly used to describe something a little odd/peculiar.  I tend to be a bit wary of using it myself and prefer a less general adjectif for fear of misinterpretation. 

I was amused at TU's elderly lady coming out with "cool".  M

I don't know whether it's 'everyday' or not, but the other night, watching the top 100 emotional moments show, presenter said 'le top ten' several times'. (And isn't it wierd to watch a programme like this and only recognise 15 out of 100 'moments?).

Also, and this is straying from the point so sorry, but watching 'Questions pur un Champion', a contestant, Gerard, was told 'good luck to you'. What was that all about? If he was English I couldn't tell, and he'd won three programmes in a row by the end.

Something that intrigues me is "les baskets" (as in baseball boots /shoes) for trainers and I was told by a Belgian girl that they now call them "les 'skets".

What about "le Scotch" as in Scotch tape; once I read a French article that talked about buldings being Scotched to the side of the hill!(Scotch-aid is the way it would sound, sorry I can't produce the accent)

Gill

p.s. I haven't waded through the whole of this posting so apologies if anyone else has mentioned this.

Gill, "scotcher" is usually just used as an ordinary verb.   In the gym class, for example, to do a back-stretching thing, she told us to face the wall, reach up as far as we could, "scotchez les mains au mur", and so on.....

yawn, feel tired at the very thought of physical exercise. 

[quote]Gill, "scotcher" is usually just used as an ordinary verb. In the gym class, for example, to do a back-stretching thing, she told us to face the wall, reach up as far as we could, "scotchez les main...[/quote]

Yes, but you know it's good for you!

bon courage!

Gill

Do you know, I think there *is* a word "stretching" in French.

There's certainly "le lifting" for a face-lift!

Oh, and just remembered, seeing the earlier mention of a "top ten" (which I seem to recall in French - concerning hit records - are "tubes"?), how fond the French are at the moment of doing a "best of" (a round-up of old clips, re-runs of old articles etc)..  That's it. "Un best of".  Though they almost always write it "best off", 'cos that's how they pronounce it...

Angela

[quote]Heres a twist on one, Our youngest had her friend to tea, she is learning English in school and asked what the various cutlery items are called, so we did glass, plate,knife ,fork......she gasped and ...[/quote]

As far as I know, fork is not a swear word in French, well not that one anyway but be careful when talking about kissing people, use the verb instead of the noun and you could be in for a sore face

We were near Montpelier recently  in an aquarium, we were invited to come and watch the phoques!! I was please to find that we had been directed towards the seal pool. for feeding time 

"Something that intrigues me is "les baskets" (as in baseball boots /shoes)"

Mmm, think basketball rather than baseball and it's less intriguing!

Hi

seems that one of the favourites is the dyslexic version of fcuk.

I see it in bus shelters and it seems to be a favourite of kids on their way home from school.

Not sure how the auto censor will view this, but we are talking **** & baiser.

Peter

just found the following on a french blog site: 'fanboys' - not stictly an english word, but definitely not a french one!

to put in context, the sentence was:

"des hordes de fanboys ne nous cassent les couilles sur les prochaines cinq années..."

but I leave it as an exercise to the reader to put it into babelfish, as the reult would probably be censored

[quote]"Something that intrigues me is "les baskets" (as in baseball boots /shoes)" Mmm, think basketball rather than baseball and it's less intriguing![/quote]

absolutely right Pucette, basketball is correct, think there was a slip of the finger with my typing there!

Gill

The guy on the quizz show was an English teacher that`s why the `good luck` comment was made...... I really should get out more.....

For a cordless phone try telephone sans fil, they`re always advertised as that.

Talking of things that go beep and the e-mail thing, do you think most people use the word fax instead of telecopie? I have`nt heard telecopie for ages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

"Zoom...... as in allez zoom!"

Sorry to disappoint you, but the correct expression is  : "Allez, zou !". Well it is the one I use anyway Still sounds good, doesn't it ?

In the same range, there is "Allez, ouste !" to encourage someone to go out of the room.

What do you think of the way, we French people, use the word "just", pronounced the english way ?

Example :

"On a reussi a prendre le train mais c'etait just !" meaning something like "we caught the train just in time".

I don't know where we got that from, as "juste" pronounced the french way would do just as well

French Kat in England