Everyday English words in everyday French

SaligoBay

Welcome Normann.  Yes, how could we forget "stop" and "boss"?  And talking of jeans, tee shirt and Pucette's "look" reminds me of French radio programme I listened to discussing English words creeping in to the French language.  Various people interviewed but shop owners strongly defended use of English (though they used the term "American") words, "look" and "tee shirt" were two in particular.  And media people were the same.

Incidentally, what words do you all use for e mail?  I've picked up "mel" from somewhere but am told I should strictly speaking refer to "courier". 

M

I think traditionalists prefer "courriel", because it's based on a real French word.   For example, the letters page in newspapers will say that a letter has been received by courriel, but out on the streets, normal people use mél.

How about discount?  Pronounced dees-koont, of course.

And sweatshirt, pronounced sweet-shirt. 

Incidentally, what words do you all use for e mail?  I've picked up "mel" from somewhere but am told I should strictly speaking refer to "courier

I tried using couriel years ago but nobody understood me so I went back to saying e-mail. I think that couriel comes from canada (from courier électronique) and that the academie française wanted us to use mél. The webmail system in my academie is "à mél ouvert"

One of the chapters in my 3eme book is about internet and there's a question on what e-mail stands for, they always get it right. Then I ask them for the French term. No-one knows. Most older french people talk, about "mail" written mail but pronounced mél.

[quote]Cake. Job. Interview (what's wrong with entretien?). Words to do with computers like mail are more popular than French equivalents like courriel. Start-ups .[/quote]

Emails -I like the French 'mél" ( short for message électronique) as in 'J'ai reçu un mél".

Malcolm

Now there's something I always took back to England... and my long-suffering parents always swore they had looked for a dark chocolate Easter egg... I always liked plain or preferably bitter chocolate, and find it satisfying too, just a couple of squares with black coffee... haven't got any in the house though, just cooking chocolate which mostly goes into drinking chocolate - which is of course better with bitter chocolate too...

I love allez-zoom, very catchy.

Snap poll amongst my French speaking friends/colleagues and it's definitely courriel for e mail, only one mentioned i-mel, ecriture phonetique as she pointed out.  Someone else mentioned un autre detail interessant, the at sign @ = "arrobaze" in French.   She asked me if I knew why this was as she didn't!  Haven't a clue.  Anyone?

Oh and here's another:  "le score" for total.

M

Margaret, here's an article called "French staff sue US multinational for making them use English":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1357209,00.html

It's a strange one, because it sounds like many people are quite happy with speaking English.

Anyway, it does mention that last year the Académie Française officially banned the word "e-mail", and replaced it with the neologism "courriel".  Ministry of Thought by any other name.

I guess it depends who you ask, but it seems to me that all the youngsters round here definitely use "e-mail/imél".

Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the Academie was reading this thread, they'd probably explode on the spot with outrage.  Not that they'd ever lower themselves to look at anything like this, of course - it's a long way down from their ivory tower!   

Thanks for the link, SB.  Although in a different industry, I work for a similar set up and often encounter the same scenarios.  Fortunately for me though, fluent French is a pre-requisite in many positions.  I liked the woman who said, "a lot of the time I don't understand business American".  I've just escaped from a meeting where I was having very similar thoughts myself...  M

Wish you hadn't started this, SB, I seem to have embraced it with almost missionary zeal!  Two more I came across this evening in course of short conversation:

non-stop:  gossiping about an acquaintance, "si, Margarette, XXX parle non-stop"

allez-bye: personally prefer allez-zoom but this isn't bad either.

M

Not just you, me too... a bit like the difference between pile and batterie...

Yeah, caméra is for taking moving pictures - film or video;
appareil-photo is a still camera (digital or otherwise)

Very confusing that with telephones mobile in French means cordless, and portable is French for mobile phone.

Would also offer groggy and K.O.

And who gave them leave to make nouns out of so many of our present participles?
Parking, footing (already mentioned), camping, jogging (=tracksuit), brushing (=blow-dry, at hairdresser's), shampooing (pronounced shom-pwung) ?

Angela

Very confusing that with telephones mobile in French means cordless, and portable is French for mobile phone

Portable is also used for a laptop computer which is why I a bit confused when a fellow prof told me all pupils and staff were being lent free portables, I couldn't see the educational use of a mobile phone. Not sure of the educational use of a laptop either but it does mean I can read the forums in class (not that I would of course....)

Just spent a frustrating lesson trying to explain (again) that you cant just say foot, basket, volley for the sports you have to add "ball"

I couldn't see the educational use of a mobile phone

Perfectly understandable as there isn't one.  Dreadful things. 

it does mean I can read the forums in class

I sometimes think it's one of the few naughty things I can indulge in, it makes me feel soooooo guilty.  I don't do it as often as I'd like, it's frightening how often people look over your shoulder, but I do remember once following a thread on buying firewood in France whilst I was sitting in a meeting listening to some bore drone on.  I felt really wicked but it was a great mental escape.

M