Conspicuous by their absence.

Chancer

Conspicuous by their absence ?

Yours truly and 'er indoors because it's taking longer than anticipated to sell our house in UK.....[:(] [:$]

Still, I somehow manage to console myself.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/Alcohol.jpg[/IMG]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Knickers on the washing line.

Could just be where I live of course, but I can (if I crane my neck a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) clearly see 4 washing lines belonging to 4 differernt families, from various points of my garden.

I have now found myself becoming a little obsessed with the fact that we have been here a year, and NOT ONCE have I seen a pair of knickers on the line.    Add to that I am starting to get a little paranoid about putting out my own and OH's and now find myself doing it a little furtively.

Is it the same everywhere?

Londoneagle eye, you are absolutely right! It is the same here, I see my neighbours' washing on the line, and never once did I spot a pair of male or female knickers, and no bras either actually.

What can we assume from that?

- there is a special dryer indoors, where they dry the family's underwear - keeping it all private and secret.

- they don't wear any.

- they wear only disposable knickers.

I can't think of any other answer, can anyone?

No and when my children had exchange students from France they never put knickers in the wash. One had a huge supply of pin tucked white blouses that I had to iron though...

Also, you may be able to get marmite everywhere, but there still aren't any man-sized tissues.

Lisa

[quote user="5-element"]

What can we assume from that?

- there is a special dryer indoors, where they dry the family's underwear - keeping it all private and secret. [/quote]

Oh crikey! Whatever must my very correct, but extremely pleasant, French neighbours think of the many pairs of knickers and pants which adorn my washing line on a regular basis?

Sue[:$]

They never wash them.?

and then, they self-destruct after a while?

or, they are taken to the "pressing" to be dry-cleaned?

Tresco, the thought of edible underwear I find a little odd. Especially as I have never seen any advertised as such, and not noticed them in the lingerie department.

[quote user="Spg"]

Oh crikey! Whatever must my very correct, but extremely pleasant, French neighbours think of the many pairs of knickers and pants which adorn my washing line on a regular basis?

Sue[:$]

[/quote]

That you must be:

- an exhibitionist

- a foreigner[:D]

[quote user="5-element"]

That you must be:

- an exhibitionist

- a foreigner[:D]

[/quote]

They know we are b) but hopefully not a).

Mind you we did puzzle them with our veg plot last year. They couldn't understand my joy at being able to grow peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers without needing a greenhouse - in the UK we used to live in Lincolnshire. And as to why we should want to grow parsnips ... I don't think they ever did understand.

On the other hand I scored a minor success with the neighbour on the other side who was persuaded to try my cucumber cream recipe with baked salmon,  she told me her husband had loved 'la recette anglaise' and had asked if they could have it again sometime!

Sue - entente cordiale is my middle name.

[quote user="5-element"]Tresco, the thought of edible underwear I find a little odd. Especially as I have never seen any advertised as such, and not noticed them in the lingerie department.[/quote]

It does exist!  I reckon it's probably sold in the same kind of shops as furry pink manacles, so yes, 'odd' is probably about right.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="5-element"]Tresco, the thought of edible underwear I find a little odd. Especially as I have never seen any advertised as such, and not noticed them in the lingerie department.[/quote]

It does exist!  I reckon it's probably sold in the same kind of shops as furry pink manacles, so yes, 'odd' is probably about right.

[/quote]

Yep it does exist! No i haven't got any.......i think it is like the same stuff those red jelly laces were made from??

Back to knickers.......... my elderly neighbour always hangs out her large white bloomers for all to see.....she doesnt have a garden , they just dry on a washing line across her house wall......

I have never hung my undies on the line, no matter where I lived, they go on the maiden indoors, just a personal thing to me perhaps.

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"]....I think it is like the same stuff those red jelly laces were made from??
[/quote]

Yes, its gelatine, apparently.

Jayj you are an utter scamp and an imp to boot.[:D]

It's funny though. Washing lines with big things like sheets on look great, but washing lines full of socks and knickers look like the washing line equivalent of an 'everything costs £!!!' shop.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"]....I think it is like the same stuff those red jelly laces were made from??
[/quote]

Yes, its gelatine, apparently.

Jayj you are an utter scamp and an imp to boot.[:D]

[/quote]

Tresco, I love being a scamp & an imp, rather you didn't boot me though![:-))]

I love red bootlaces! Think I'll pass on the knickers though & carry on & hang mine on the line................ In the laundry room! [;-)] Must have a little French in me![:D]

There is someone a few km away that has (i think) a knicker washing day. Occasionally i go past and there is like 20 pairs (HOOOOGE white ones) all lined up very precisely on the washing line...........nothing else, just the knickers.........always makes me chuckle.  They are visible from the main road!!