Hunting Season

Suninfrance

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patf is quite right, but I think you can take it that they'll be shooting anything in sight from here on in.

The dogs and guns were at it last Weds and on Sunday, but I think that they were 'trial runs' - they'd jacked it in by 10.00.  To all intents and purposes, it starts now and finishes mid-end Jan.

Around here the hunting on the gaurigue starts on the 14th Sept and in the vines in the middle of Oct. Just as well as the vandage starts in a few days and the wine producers would NOT be happy to be shot at while they are picking!! No sense of humour?

I wonder if the biggest bag for the 1st 2 weeks will  be the hunters and their dogs again this year???

We have been advised to wear a yellow jacket and carry a whistle and to fit a bell on your dog's collar if you go walking in the hunting season. I have always wondered about the hunters in all their camoflage kit and a BRIGHT YELLOW jacket and/or hat. Don't they think the sanglier can see the bright colour beyond the cam clothing???[8-)]

Thanks all.  No wonder the cats are getting nervous.  Will expect to see our local farmer in his camoflages and high vis jacket and hat wandering across the bottom of our garden soon.

Still haven't cooked the leg of venison and shoulder of venison they gave me last January.  It's still in the freezer, but it's not just that I'm a hopeless cook, but I just don't fancy the idea of eating something I may have seen wandering around our garden last year.  It was so nice to get up in the morning and look out the window to find deer in the garden only to be presented with a joint of it by our neighbours.

No Rob Roy, it probably isn't, but having lived in towns all my life, and having a huge respect for the countryside, I find it difficult.  Sheep and cows are bred for either milk, cheese and meat, but deer live freely in France's woodland and fields.  Yes, I know there are some places that do breed deer for the purpose of meat, but not so the ones wandering around my garden.

It is, and I have no argument with the French over it, an age old way of life for them.  I would not put up Chasse Interdit signs on my land because I believe the people around here who hunt, have been here far longer than me and it is their way of life.

I just cannot bring myself to eat deer (or rabbit) for that matter, but that's another story.

Rob Roy

I know what you're getting at but it's still a "double standards" sort of situation for me.  Years ago, I had lodgings in a farm at Northampton and, after I had offered to babysit for the farmer's wife, she would present me with a leg of lamb to take home.  I couldn't for the life of me have eaten anything from the farm as I would have seen them gambolling outside my window.  So, I used to give the legs of lamb away.

Same thing for my husband.  He doesn't eat meat but he does wear leather shoes & belts.

I'd eat most things but not horse and definitely not cats and dogs.  So..................how illogical can we be?

Sweet 17 and Suninfrance I am quite happy to accept that you find it difficult to reconcile eating meat with the deer and pretty lambs in the fields.

Jonzbob, your posting reminded me of a friend of ours who is a Dr. We lived in Norfolk before coming to France and one night he went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered a 'chicken' dish. What arrived made him a bit suspicious - the bones didn't marry up with those of a chicken. Turned out to be coypu - which tastes like chicken but does not have the same anatomy!!

I have small children; I am ready for any of those savage dogs this year. I do not care if this hunting thing is a french tradition or not, the dogs must stay away from my property or else. And there most certainly will be an 'or else' this year. A few well placed baits and they wont be back thank god.

[quote user="wen"]A few well placed baits and they wont be back thank god.[/quote]

I suspect that most would feel that its one thing being less than enthusiastic over 'La Chasse' and quite another poisoning dogs or anything else that might pick up the "baits".

Glad I don't live around your way ............ do I ?

Oh, and the dogs are as soft as grease. As I've implied, I'm less than enthusiastic, but the dogs are harmless to youngsters, other dogs, cats, but it pays to be wary.  But to suggest leaving poison ?!!!  

Sorry Wen - did not like the content of  your post.  The implications are unthinkable. 

If you read other threads on say "Pets in France" or "Wildlife" you will discover that some people have lost their pets because of people putting poison down. 

I certainly do not agree with your approach.  How about having a word with your local chasse and asking them to be careful on your land.  There is no need for such drastic action. 

The dogs are not savage and do not deserve to have their lives ended in this way.

So please do not even consider such action and learn to live with the French way of life.

personnally I'm very happy to live next door to an ardent follower of 'la chasse'. His knowledge of the flora and fauna is unsupassed, he can dispatch animals for the table in seconds, he looks after his own animals extremely well, and the occasional joint of venison or sanglier is very welcome! Oh, and just in case you think that all hunters are cold killers, he cried when his cat got run over and he swaps bottle-fed lambs with a friend so he doesn't have to kill them!

I think you have to keep the whole thing in proportion.   I don't like the chasse much, a lot of people on the forum don't seem to either, but I came to this area (and probably any area of France) with full knowledge that the chasse was likely to be on my door-step, so to speak.   I don't bother telling French people I don't particularly agree with the chasse, because my opinion is unlikely to make any impact on them, so I may as well keep it to myself.

I am much more concerned about poison than I am about the chasse, because I believe that my dog and cat are more likely to come to harm from poison than they are the chasse.    Unfortunately the issue with poison, as is readily apparent is that anything / anyone can eat it; that includes young children, who have a singularly unpleasant habit of stuffing anything in their mouth.

Wen, there has to be a more constructive way than the one you suggest.   I have never come across a chasse dog which was anything other than grateful to be let out for a bit of a frolic.   We come across a few when walking the dog during the season, and so far (never say never of course), they have either run away, or played with the dog.     The large Dobermann / Ridgeback cross (or that is what I believe him to be), who lives down the road and is regularly let off his chain at the weekend - that one worries me I admit, even though he seems harmless ..... there are dogs everywhere in France, and if you don't want them on your property, or parts of your property, the only effective way to keep them out is to fence yourself in.   We did it, at considerable cost, in order to safeguard our puppy.

[quote user="wen"]I have small children; I am ready for any of those savage dogs this year. I do not care if this hunting thing is a french tradition or not, the dogs must stay away from my property or else. And there most certainly will be an 'or else' this year. A few well placed baits and they wont be back thank god.[/quote]

I'm beginning to wonder if you should actually be living in rural france Wen.

You're gradually building up a comprehensive 'hate' list.

Tractors and tractor drivers,

Insurance companies,

Hunting dogs,

Forum members who express views that question yours.

(only added the last one as a pre-emptive)...............................

All you have to do is ask (nicely) the chasse to keep away from your land and they will more than likely agree.

Make no mistake, you will end up in a shed-load of trouble if you start poisoning hunting dogs.