Clisson. La petite Italie entre dans le guide des Plus beaux détours de France

Lehaut

It is a nice place to visit, walk around and eat in. Just up the road from us.

Thought it was good for the commune to be in such a guide. Naively, i thought some committee had visited and voted them in. Not so, the Commune have paid €3700 a year to be included in this, edited by Michelin, guide.

Yes I was also very disillusioned when I realised what a place has to pay to be potentially listed as a Plus Beau Village.

There is some kind of judgement made, they don't just pay the fee and get automatically included.

Equally I suppose you couldn't have places listed without requesting it, or at least being consulted. Not every lovely place would welcome the influx of visitors.

A couple of years back whilst travelling I noticed that my route was taking me close to a Plus Beau Village so I decided to do a detour and pay a visit. The entire town centre was dug up and they had dust screens in front of most of the buildings. I can't even remember where it was, somewhere in the east I think. I didn't hang around and couldn't help thinking they'd wasted their money that year.

I generally (no,actually, always) avoid the beaux villages like the plague.

We visited one in the Herault with some friends a few years back. Extortionately priced parking, too many people, overpriced and poor restaurants. Apart from that, it was fine.

Worrying - I’m beginning to sound like ALBF. Is there a vaccine for this serious condition?

Another classification which can indicate whether a town is attractive is the

Ville Fleurie label, with up to 4 rosettes.

It seems to be quite strictly controlled

although there are some bizzare exceptions

Yes, our last village had 3 flowers. One of my "commissions" on the council was the "village fleuris" area. We had a flower competition in the village to keep standards up, as well as keeping the municiple areas well presented. We were inspected by the authorities and did as much as possible to keep our 3 flowers! Even the village competition was judged by outsiders to avoid favouritism (in principle).

Yes, we have a garden competition every year.  And the cantonniers themselves seem to compete against each other informally to see who has the best kept village.  They all seem to know each other and the rivalry, while friendly, is always fierce.