name this ...

opas

We went out for lunch yesterday en famile.

There was a buffet, which If taken under the name Constance included a desert, myself and eldest cholse that. Youngest opted for child meal which was buffet a main meal choice(she had tortelini) and hubby chose buffet and a main meal.

We always have a pick at each others food, and when Mr Os mains arrived he commented it must be a posh one 'cos it had a string........to which we girls started singing"string  string , quel coleur ton string....."

I asked for a taste, just to confirm I didn't like it !  so a fork headed my way and its contents deposited on my plate. I was still chewing my own food so "it" had to wait.........then without any adoo the aroma hit my nose and my mouth just opened and said" It smells like horse ****"    It did, and I promply passed the food back.

Name this food .........

TU named that fume de chevale in one!

I have it on authority from Mr O that you can't beat it with a bit of hot mustard on.......my thoughts are that it just makes it smell more!

PS does it smell like horse dodah to others or was it the string thing that gave it away?

Oh no, it smells like poo to me too.

The first meal I ever went for with my then brand-new French boyfriend, he ordered andouilette for himself and said it was really special and I should order the same.  I did, but as soon as the plate arrived and the smell started to waft up I knew I was in trouble.  Being far too polite to say "fwor, that smells like a plate of poo" I duly chewed a very small mouthfull, and it tasted just as bad as it smelled.

Now I know, that whenever a french person descibes something as "special" it is to be avoided like the plague.

In the early days of my love affair with France, a French friend took me to a wonderful restaurant on a hilltop near Macon. I asked what andouilette was and my friend said that it was like black pudding. She was a regular visitor to England so I thought she knew what she was talking about. You did better than me cat, I simply couldn't bring myself to taste it.

Hoddy

But the French make real black puddings too - Mortagne-au-Perche claims to be the world capital of boudin makers. I wouldn't want to say theirs are any better than the English variety, or a good Clonakilty pudding from County Cork come to that.

Andouilette is pretty foul, though I have eaten them. Its big brother andouille (andouille de Vire is best, but try the Troyes or Guémené ones too), thinly sliced and served cold with other charcuterie, or with a raclette, is a different matter altogether in my opinion.

Edit - by the way, Cassis seems to be very quiet with all this sausage talk going on...

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Hoddy"]"Barnoldswick, near Skipton.' For the uneducated among you, pronounced Barlick. Hoddy[/quote]

Theres not many people will understand that Hoddy.

ex-Nelson  [:D]
[/quote]A good friend of mine was born in Barlick.  Most upset when the county lines were moved and he suddenly turned into a Lancastrian.   A matter I never let him forget.

Coops (born Colne!)