Figs

Magnolia

Any ideas as to what to do with figs (purple and green) other than conserve (yuk)? I'm currently eating figs with lime, stewed and even in a sandwich with a banana (yum yum) but i'd like to try something different. Is it possible to make fig bread or a cake of sort? I'm a little nervous about experimenting as I hate waste and my experiments aren't normally successful.

Thanks  

Figs with Parma ham..........to die for

Dried fig with  almond, just break the fig open insert the almond and bite into it ......mmmmmmmmm

and here one I stole:

Fig Bread

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 eggs

• 2 1/2 cups sugar

• 2 cups ripe figs, mashed

• 3/4 cup vegetable oil

• 3 cups flour

• 2 tsp. baking soda

• 1 tsp. salt

• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

• 1/2 cup buttermilk

• 1 cup chopped pecans

PREPARATION:

Beat eggs; add sugar and beat well. Add the mashed figs and vegetable oil. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the fig mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Beat well. Fold in chopped pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in greased and floured loaf pans.
Makes 2 large or 3 small loaves

My oh my, i'm so excited now! Can I buy buttermilk at the supermarket and  how do I dry figs or any fruit for that matter? I'm gonna give the fig bread a go at the weekend (as long as I can find buttermilk) and I can't wait.

Thankyou so much and please keep the suggestions coming as you can never have too many.

Jacqueline

[quote user="Fridgeman"]

I mix some good plain yoghurt with milk as an alternative to buttermilk

Drying figs well idealy in the sun I guess or in a very low oven, which I find works for sun dried tomatoes

[/quote]Sorry to drift off topic a little, but this is music to my ears, Mr Fridge.  I have been wondering if it's possible to do my own sun-dried toms.  Anything I should bare in mind or do I just leave them lying in the sun and hope?

[quote user="cooperlola"]Sorry to drift off topic a little, but this is music to my ears, Mr Fridge.  I have been wondering if it's possible to do my own sun-dried toms.  Anything I should bare in mind or do I just leave them lying in the sun and hope?[/quote]

I'm not sure whether you should undress or not but to answer the question you meant to ask [:)]- tried sun dried tomatoes and failed miserably. It seemed like a good idea with our tomato glut last year. They dried a bit but not enough and went a bit mouldy. I thought it was pretty hot outside but it would appear one needs Greek or southern Italian type heat and plenty of it. If I try it again, I will do it in a low oven. Good luck

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

It seemed like a good idea with our tomato glut last year. They dried a bit but not enough and went a bit mouldy. I thought it was pretty hot outside but it would appear one needs Greek or southern Italian type heat and plenty of it. If I try it again, I will do it in a low oven. Good luck

Danny

[/quote]

Maybe you need a special kind of tomato - like those they hang on strings to store in Spain, which have thick skins and keep for months.

The fig bread sounds very good but.......

Can somebody tell me how big a cup is please? Its strange how we are used to weighing dry ingredients, not measuring by volume.

I assume the recipe is American from the ingredients (buttermilk, cinnamon) and the instruction to bake at 350 degress! My oven only goes to 250 !!

I think I will change the recipe a bit

nutmeg for cinnamon

walnuts for peacans

milk for buttermilk

But I still need to know how big a cup is...........(in ml please)

A nice fig dessert.

Just cut a cross in the top of the figs (1-2 per person, depending how big they are), stuff some soft brown sugar in to the aperture and pour over any old booze you've got lying around in the drinks cupboard - I use cheap and cheerful white rum, which is like lighter fuel.

Into the oven for 15 mins or so and serve with a blob of ice cream or Greek yoghurt.

Even if you don't think you like figs, you'll like this!

Hi

Tarte aux figues

puff pastry

1kg figs

200g sugar

60g butter

Roll out pastry to 20 x 40 cm then cut into 8 equal squares, roll each square into very thin 10cm round. prick the pastry with a fork (stops them rising too much) and chill for 30 mins

Set oven to 220C.

Cut figs in 1cm slices, discarding stems, put slices slightly overlapping on the pastry so they just reach the edge. Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of sugar over each tart and dot the top with butter. Bake till pastry is browned and figs are lightly caramelised, 20-25 minuets. Allow to cool before  scoffing the lot

Hi

Tarte aux figues

puff pastry

1kg figs

200g sugar

60g butter

Roll out pastry to 20 x 40 cm then cut into 8 equal squares, roll each square into very thin 10cm round. prick the pastry with a fork (stops them rising too much) and chill for 30 mins

Set oven to 220C.

Cut figs in 1cm slices, discarding stems, put slices slightly overlapping on the pastry so they just reach the edge. Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of sugar over each tart and dot the top with butter. Bake till pastry is browned and figs are lightly caramelised, 20-25 minuets. Allow to cool before  scoffing the lot.

Had to laugh when I posted this .......what you have to do with the fork......would willy have been better I wonder?

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Fridgeman"]

I mix some good plain yoghurt with milk as an alternative to buttermilk

Drying figs well idealy in the sun I guess or in a very low oven, which I find works for sun dried tomatoes

[/quote]Sorry to drift off topic a little, but this is music to my ears, Mr Fridge.  I have been wondering if it's possible to do my own sun-dried toms.  Anything I should bare in mind or do I just leave them lying in the sun and hope?[/quote]

What do you have in mind to bare,and what are you hoping for, and could you elaborate on "them"?

[quote user="Fridgeman"]

and here one I stole:

Fig Bread     [/quote]

Fridgeman, thank you for stealing that recipe. I just made some (altered a couple of things, i.e. halved the quantity of sugar, as figs are already so sweet, and instead of buttermilk, used yogourt + some lemon juice as it offsets the sweetness. Instead of pecans, I used a mix of ground hazelnuts and chopped almonds.

STUPENDOUS!

I will have a go at the fig tart. Although there is no fig tree in my garden, our neighbours have several, one with overhanging branches, and I have total permission to harvest what I want. Especially since I gave them helf of one of the fig loaves.

There are just so many fresh figs here, I never tire of that luxury...and you can only make so many jars of fig jam, especially since we do not eat it - just a gift to visiting friends.

So, fig tart it is next....thanks you again, Homme du Frigo